• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Chez Les Anges

I would like to report an a dinner I had earlier tonight at Chez les Anges, 54 Blvd la Tour Maubourg.

We arrived at 1930, were seated and had amuse of a thinly sliced sausage, raddishes and carrot strips. We ordered well priced aperitifs, 5e each, of cremant de bourgogne. A second amuse of a thin but very tasty gaspacho was also served.

For entrees my wife had a green salad with parmesan and pine nuts. I had a fricassee of girolles with oeuf mollet that had been rolled in bread crumbs and fried. This must have been the world's best everrrrr fried egg, just fabulous. The girolles were served with a lightly frothed sauce. I enjoyed this dish very much.

For mains my wife had a piece of Doraude Royale. I had agneau d' Pauillac which consisted of the ris d' agneau, foie d'agneau and carre d'agneau with a small herb salad. This was a fabulous dish.

For wine we had a 2000 Pauillac Chateau Lacoste Boire, 58e, but with the Vintage Partnaire card = only 29e!!!! http://www.vintagepartnaire.fr. I have used vintage partnaires twice now and it is the BEST deal going in Paris, 50% off wines at participating restaurants.

For dessert my wife had assiette autour cerise, several preparations of cherries and I had a millefeuille framboise with glace caramel beurre sale, both very good. We both had glasses of Sauternes with dessert. Coffee was served with a plate of miniatrue macaroons and tuiles.

Total price = 144e which I consider quite a bargain. I liked this restaurant very much.

For wine we had a 2000 Pauillac Chateau Lacoste Boire, 58e, but with the Vintage Partnaire card = only 29e!!!! http://www.vintagepartnaire.fr. I have used vintage partnaires twice now and it is the BEST deal going in Paris, 50% off wines at participating restaurants.

For those interested it's spelled partenaire and this is the link.

However, I did not, except for Chez les Anges, find the opportunities worth the 150 euros a year.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Maybe so but the 1996 Chateau Meyney, St Estephe, I had at les Ormes (1 star red guide) last week tasted a lot better at 37.5e per bottle rather than 75e. The appartment company I rent from offers the card at 5e per day which is a fabulous value.