• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stages, insurance liability?

Malaclypse

I've got a few folks atm that are looking to do stages at my restaurant and I'm just wondering if there is some sort of special insurance covers this? I'm just a little worried about the possible liability (hey, having a dad work for the federal government teaches you to care about liability). I've never had anyone do stages here before (besides culinary externs) so any info would be helpful.

You should be concerned,

Or I guess I should be concerned since I live in California.

All my culinary externs and stage workers go on the payroll, at minimum wage.

They are expected to be productive.

I do insurance and liability for a living, albeit on the defense side of medical malpractice. The original poster raises a very valid question, and if I was in his shoes, I would want this clarified. Adding them to the payroll should automatically cover them for worker's comp. However, not knowing what state he is in, the best thing to do is for the OP to call his insurance agent and ask them. They will be able to give accurate advice. The OP would also want to know if unpaid externs working for him are covered under his Commercial General Liability (CGL) or Business Owners Package (BOP). If you print out this reply and hand it to your insurance agent, he/she will know exactly what I am talking about.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Good question! I am doing a stage in Chicago in about two weeks time, and I am wondering the same thing.

as a foreigner, you need proof of insurance to travel i believe, so that covers you. i had to jump through numerous hoops and sign many waivers each time i staged in france...

Externs are supposed to be covered by their school's insurance, but of course this is more difficult in practice. A coworker of mine has been in a long battle with her school over an injury that happened during her stage. She was supposedly covered by the school's insurance at the time, but they of course have been dragging their feet on paying the medical bills.

I think adding them to the payroll in order to qualify them for worker's comp would be a good way to CYA. You're paying worker's comp insurance anyway, right? Plus they should probably be in the system for other reasons, even if you're not paying them squat. It makes it official.

Good question! I am doing a stage in Chicago in about two weeks time, and I am wondering the same thing.

as a foreigner, you need proof of insurance to travel i believe, so that covers you. i had to jump through numerous hoops and sign many waivers each time i staged in france...

well, thing is, Im not a foreigner. I have an american passport, but I have never lived nor worked in the US before....