• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a venue for wine tasting

maxmillan

My co-workers have a monthly budget for wine tasting and food. But we need a venue that is licensed, has a private room and preferably in Vancouver.

We bring our own wine and the food budget is about $150 for 8 - 12 people. We make up the difference from our own pocket for the food.

So far, the suggestions I have made has been shot down because the restaurants have been too expensive, dingy, or whatever..

The last place we did this was at Little India (or New India?) which is a buffet restaurant on West Broadway. We had BC VQA wine, half of which was white. So this turned out somewhat appropriate for pairing. They were kind enough not to charge a corking fee. Of course, we uncorked our own wines.

Our wine selection will depend on what we pick for our next venue. We do aim to have at least one dessert wine, a port, or something sweet.

Can someone make a suggestion that will please most of us? It would be a Sunday early evening booking.

The focus will be on the wine and the food secondary so we don't need a three course meal or anything too frivolous.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I am constantly amazed by the number of people wanting to bring their own wine into a restaurant.

At the prices places charge, why are you surprised...oh, because they do not know its illegal? I agree about the legality and the many places that do allow it in the city of Vancouver are best kept off-line. :wink:

officially left egullet....

I am constantly amazed by the number of people wanting to bring their own wine into a restaurant.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.

If you must know, it's part of our job, wine tasting that is. If it was illegal the head office would not allow this. I repeat, the food is secondary as this is put into our budget.

So let's get back on topic.

All I am saying is to the Licensee to be careful...

Liqour Control & Licensing Regulation:

Consumption of liquor in licensed establishments

42 (1) A person must not consume liquor in a licensed establishment unless that liquor has been purchased from or served by the licensee of that licensed establishment.

(2) A licensee must not allow consumption in the licensed establishment of liquor that was not purchased from or served by the licensee.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/L/Liqu...2.htm#section42

SHAMELESS PLUG :biggrin: but this is what I do for a living!!!

Hey, I host wine events in my home for corporate clients all the time and you can avoid legal issues about BYOB. We would have to talk though! I usually pick the wines and caterer for events.

Stephen Bonner

PS I do not do this for free :cool:

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

All I am saying is to the Licensee to be careful...

Liqour Control & Licensing Regulation:

Consumption of liquor in licensed establishments

42  (1)  A person must not consume liquor in a licensed establishment unless that liquor has been purchased from or served by the licensee of that licensed establishment.

(2) A licensee must not allow consumption in the licensed establishment of liquor that was not purchased from or served by the licensee.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/L/Liqu...2.htm#section42

I am sure you could put up the Highway Traffic Act provisions around speeding also. I suspect that has not stopped people from speeding.

The private function route is a good one since if you get a reasonable person they will not charge any extra to BYOW. Get the PF permit and avoid those that are not friendly. I never go to places in TO unless they are BYOW.

SHAMELESS PLUG :biggrin: but this is what I do for a living!!!

Hey, I host wine events in my home for corporate clients all the time and you can avoid legal issues about BYOB. We would have to talk though! I usually pick the wines and caterer for events.

Stephen Bonner

PS I do not do this for free :cool:

I will make a note of this for people I know looking for just that.

#1 Nobody is accusing you of doing something illegal. But the establishment who lets you do so is.

#2 Most establishments don't encourage people to bring their own bottles because that cuts into their profit margins. (And it is illegal...) And let's face it. A restaurant is a business that is disguised as a service. Restauranteurs want to make a profit, just like any other business people. But the public thinks it OK to ask for and receive whatever they like, just because it is viewed as a service. "The customer is always right" is most often wrong.

#3 Good luck. Why can't this be done at someone's home if the food is secondary?

It's obvious this thread is not going to help me.

Not when it is illegal to BYOB to a restaurant and your budget is $150! Sorry to burst your bubble but your budget is way out of wack for a wine event now days. I've read your posts in the past and I know you like great chocolate, NY, and Kitchen Aid :wink: set the bar higher and have a great wine event.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

It's obvious this thread is not going to help me.

Not when it is illegal to BYOB to a restaurant and your budget is $150! Sorry to burst your bubble but your budget is way out of wack for a wine event now days. I've read your posts in the past and I know you like great chocolate, NY, and Kitchen Aid :wink: set the bar higher and have a great wine event.

Cheers,

Stephen

I have to agree with Stephen..... maybe I read it wrong, but $15 a head for food and bring your own? That's a Capers grocery receipt for food for 10. A lot of restaurants would be happy to have a group for early Sunday, (mine included) even without wine revenue. But if you want a private room, glassware, etc. and that's your entire budget, you'll be better off doing it in someone's home.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a number of requests from people wanting to bring their own wine, and prepared to pay a corkage fee, and some get quite upset when I try to explain that it is illegal to do it that way. And sometimes they name restaurants that they've been to that have provided this service for them.

All I do is apologize that I cannot risk losing my liquor license, and that it is fortunate that they have found a restaurant that would do that for them, but they should not go around telling people, as they could get the restaurant effectively shut down-(no the liquor board won't shut them down, but without a liquor license there are a lot of restaurants that might as well shut down)

The only way a restaurant can legal host an event like you speak of is to get a special events permit from the LDB, which requires time, energy and money. A lot more than the $150 you're looking to spend on food. For this model, any restaurant wanting to host your event legally, would lose a lot of money.

Alex Rotherham

Executive Chef

Darby's Pub