• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'69 Chateauneuf-du-Pape

tighe

About a year ago, my father gave me a bottle of '69 Chateauneuf-du-Pape that he had been saving for me (I was born in '69). For all his other fine qualities, my dad was not a wine expert. My suspicion is that the wine is so far past its prime that its not drinkable. However, since I am also not a wine expert, I would be interested to hear other thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

About a year ago, my father gave me a bottle of '69 Chateauneuf-du-Pape that he had been saving for me (I was born in '69).  For all his other fine qualities, my dad was not a wine expert.  My suspicion is that the wine is so far past its prime that its not drinkable.  However, since I am also not a wine expert, I would be interested to hear other thoughts on the subject.  Thanks.

I think you should send it to me for tasting. Hey, it coulda been Blue Nun.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Who is the producer? 

How was it stored?

Whats the cork/capsule look like?

The producer is Chateau de la Gardin. As far as I know, the bottle was stored on its side in the basement (no sunlight). The cork appears to be in good condition.

Britcook's suggestion is the obvious answer, just open it and see. I guess there's part of me that would prefer to keep the bottle in tact as a keepsake if chances are that the wine won't be good. I appreciate everyone's insights.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Well it is not going to improve, so prevarication will not help. Stored under reasonable conditions (dark, cool, preferably very slightly damp) wine has a surprising ability to last longer than you might expect and I know from experience having recently had a "clear the cellar" dinner. For this we used up some of the stuff that had been lurking in obscure corners for rather longer than it nominally should have been. Although nothing of this age there was some 20 year old stuff (and not top quality wine either) which was fine. Lacked a little bouquet and not a great deal of fruit, but this was balanced by the soft drinkability. All in all not a bad bottle (and we got through several assorted, including whites - even an eleven year old Riesling QBa bought on a cross-channel ferry was surprisingly fresh).

My advice is to open it on your next birthday and enjoy it, drink a toast to your Dad. And have a replacement on standby, just in case.