• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commiseration Central:

gfron1

I also have this problem where I can't whip cream. I was trying to make a raspberry charlotte a few weeks ago and whipped the chilled cream in a chilled metal bowl with chilled beaters on high for THREE HOURS. Yes, I spent three hours whipping cream. And it never whipped. Later when I happened to mention this to the guy at work who had given me the recipe, he asked what type of cream I had used. It was that UHT kind. The instructions on the package indicated that it could be whipped, but my co-worker said that the fat content is too low. I'm not used to the different brands available here and didn't know. So I think that's key. Next time I'm going to look at the fat content and make sure it's high enough.

Or better yet - let her watch Ace of Cakes - give her some colored fondant and let her play in the corner.

Wouldn't the phrase "learn from your mistakes" be included here ??????

Sometimes it's just trial and error...right? I have heard many stories of mistakes and mishaps, but most learn what they did wrong and get better. Every person has a beginning with mistakes that make them better in the future. I know I have. :blush:

Do you agree ?

I also have this problem where I can't whip cream.  I was trying to make a raspberry charlotte a few weeks ago and whipped the chilled cream in a chilled metal bowl with chilled beaters on high for THREE HOURS.  Yes, I spent three hours whipping cream.  And it never whipped.  Later when I happened to mention this to the guy at work who had given me the recipe, he asked what type of cream I had used.  It was that UHT kind.  The instructions on the package indicated that it could be whipped, but my co-worker said that the fat content is too low.  I'm not used to the different brands available here and didn't know.  So I think that's key.  Next time I'm going to look at the fat content and make sure it's high enough.

I remember reading somewhere that if you want to increase the fat content of cream, to add unsalted melted butter. It makes sense since butter is about 80 per cent butterfat. I think it was Rose Levy Beranbaum who suggested that but I don't remember if it was in one of her books or on her website.

Hi everyone, thanks to those helping me out with my catastro-cream. (My crea-lemma? :raz: )

The cream here is sold on the regular shelves. Imported "whipping cream," "heavy cream," and "cooking cream" are sold from the chiller, and I suspect these are the proper ones to use, though they cost 2-3 times as much. I haven't bought them.

Anyway, the regular shelf cream: I have two different types here, both interestingly enough by Nestlé. The one in a tin can is "Nestlé Cream. Premium Quality. It is preserved solely by the perfectly clean and hygienic process of complete sterilization. Do not freeze, except when making ice cream. Manufactured in Brazil." No info on the butterfat percentage or anything.

The second is a tetra-pak: "Nestlé All-Purpose Cream. Easy Whip! For easy desserts, just chill... for at least an hour. Cut open about 1/2 inch in the corner and squeeze cream directly on cookies, muffins or ice cream. Ingredients: Water, Milkfat, Nonfat milk solids, emulsifier and stabilizer." From the website:

A sterilized, recombined and homogenized cream with 27% fat; UHT processed for long-life.

A convenient ready-to-use UHT cream that turns ordinary desserts to great-tasting delicacies which the family can enjoy with its handy packaging and superior whipping ability perfect for dessert toppings.

Source: http://www.nestle.com.ph/corpsite/content/...=Creams&puid=21

Though the picture is hopelessly out-of-date, so I don't know if any of it is still true. True enough, it is thick, but I've never successfully whipped it into a billowy mass.

There are two kinds of UHT cream. The kind that must be refridgerated--you'll find this in the dairy section together with the butter--and the kind that does not need to be refridgerated.

The latter cannot be whipped, or does not whip up very well.

So you're right, you do need to get the kind from the chiller section.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I remember reading somewhere that if you want to increase the fat content of cream, to add unsalted melted butter. It makes sense since butter is about 80 per cent butterfat. I think it was Rose Levy Beranbaum who suggested that but I don't remember if it was in one of her books or on her website.

That's a good idea. I thought of doing something like that (after the fact) but didn't know if it would work. Another thing I read about is adding instant pudding mix to the cream. I think someone else here also suggested gelatin.

Not sure whether gelatin helps if your cream isn't whipping up. It's usually used to keep the cream whipped up, isn't it?

I poured lemon syrup into my little pistachio cakes.

The problem was, I didn't taste the syrup, and they were So Horrifyingly SOUR!

I tossed the cakes.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog