• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trickling Springs Heavy Cream

rlibkind

This Saturday I picked up a pint of Trickling Springs Heavy Cream, used it in making scones and as sweetened whipped cream atop the split scones made marginally healthy by the presence of strawberries.

OMG!

I've had other pasteurized heavy creams before, preferring them to the ultra-pasteurized long-lived version found in most supermarkets. But this heavy cream stands out. Maybe it's the glass bottles rather than plastic or waxed paper containers. Maybe it's the grass fed cows. Maybe it's their short-time, high temperature pasteurization. But no matter the reason, this is absolutely the best heavy cream I've ever tasted.

If you like whipped cream (silly question), I urge you to seek out this product. I bought mine at Lancaster County Dairy in the Reading Terminal Market. The price is $3.25 plus $2 deposit on the bottle. I imagine it's available at a few other stores, though not necessarily in the glass container. According to the Trickling Springs Creamery website, it's also available at Fresh Grocers in the Philadelphia area, some coops, as well as in the suburban Washington DC area.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...

Try their buttermilk with berries and a little sugar. I could eat that for at least two meals per day, if not three. I picked up their buttermilk in a carton (no glass I'm afraid) at Whole Foods in Wynnwood.

I think Whole Foods is carrying a large part of Trickling Springs' product line but marketing it as their own house brand. If you look at the cap, you should be able to see where the product is from. McCaffrey's, a small supermarket chain based in the Yardley and Princeton areas, is also carrying some of their products.

I think Whole Foods is carrying a large part of Trickling Springs' product line but marketing it as their own house brand.  If you look at the cap, you should be able to see where the product is from.  McCaffrey's, a small supermarket chain based in the Yardley and Princeton areas, is also carrying some of their products.

Whole Foods does carry it. I've recently seen the heavy cream in the Trickling Springs paper container.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report