• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se: An Interesting Story

robyn

Robyn,

Did you put your Japan's experience somewhere in this thread?

Any chance to go to Beige or Chateau Robuchon? I might plan to go to Tokyo late this year or sometimes next year. Thanks

I wrote up a lot of what we ate in Japan in the Japan forum here. And a lot of stuff about our hotels and sightseeing and the like in the Japan forum on Flyertalk (under the name robyng). We decided to concentrate on Japanese food in Japan - so we skipped French places like Beige. If you're interested in French food in Tokyo - I can recommend L'Osier - perhaps the most famous French restaurant in Tokyo. Didn't dine there - but I know the chef from his days at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) - and he is great. We met him on the street in Tokyo one day by accident - and he showed us the restaurant. Very impressive. Robyn

Mick Jagger was allowed to wear jeans at Per Se...but my understanding is that was the only such occasion.

I'd say jackets are still de rigueur on men in NY four stars....and Chicago for that matter.  Miami and L.A. are more casual.

On that same note, while I was working at TFL, Mario Batali wanted to come for dinner but TK refused because Batali wanted to wear shorts. :D

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Mick Jagger was allowed to wear jeans at Per Se...but my understanding is that was the only such occasion.

I'd say jackets are still de rigueur on men in NY four stars....and Chicago for that matter.  Miami and L.A. are more casual.

On that same note, while I was working at TFL, Mario Batali wanted to come for dinner but TK refused because Batali wanted to wear shorts. :D

-Chef Johnny

Maybe if he had better legs :wink: ?

I was in Santa Monica at lunch time a while back with my husband and a male friend. Really wanted to eat at Chinois on Main. I got out of the car to see if they had room for 3. They did. I was wearing shorts. Told the guys everything was ok. When the 2 guys came in - they were wearing shorts - and were told shorts on guys weren't ok (although shorts on girls were ok - go figure). The guys knew how much I wanted to try the restaurant. So the maitre d' came up with a solution - he gave the guys chef's pants to wear during our meal. They were quite a sight! BTW - the restaurant apologized for the misunderstanding - comp'd us an appetizer - and we had an excellent meal. So even in "casual land" - there are limits. Robyn

Grant Achatz told me that TK was turned down for a rez at Alinea. It was short notice but none the less, it was out of GA's control, they were simply booked. So to make my point ,TK knows what it is like to be turned down for a rez. I am glad he is giving people more opportunity to try his food at PerSe.

I have to go to the midwest later this summer on some personal business.  Will probably fly into Chicago.  I guess I'll see whether the reservations process at Alinea is more user-friendly than the one at Per Se.  Robyn

You could also try MOTO (No reflection on Alinea but - my meal there, under unique circumstances, was the best dining experience I have ever had - and the food was stunning).

Oh dear, hope this will not affect my attempt at a reservation at Alinea next time I head over from the UK.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I have to go to the midwest later this summer on some personal business.  Will probably fly into Chicago.  I guess I'll see whether the reservations process at Alinea is more user-friendly than the one at Per Se.   Robyn

You could also try MOTO (No reflection on Alinea but - my meal there, under unique circumstances, was the best dining experience I have ever had - and the food was stunning).

Oh dear, hope this will not affect my attempt at a reservation at Alinea next time I head over from the UK.

I think that very often one's "best meal" depends on the particular foods one has. I know that if - for example - I have beef as a main course - it will never be my "best meal" since beef is far from being my favorite food. That's one reason I tend to order a la carte as opposed to pre-set or tasting menus (my favorite menu format is the kind where you can get 3-4-5-6 courses and have multiple choices in each - but straight a la carte is fine too).

And thanks for the Moto recommendation. Robyn

By "best meal" I meant the whole package, food, service, ambiance etc.

Best food so far is the Fat Duck followed by some obscure place in Paphos, Crete 5 years ago where the food for the whole restaurant was cooked on a 2 ring stove but was perfect, but service and delays were really bad. and then the French laundry.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago lucked into a reservation on a Monday for dinner at The French Laundry the next evening at 5:30. My friend and I rolled out after 10, (including a visit to the kitchen), and were in no way rushed; the service was excellent, on the same level as I experienced at Guy Savoy, Pierre Gagnaire, The Fat Duck and Per Se. Chatted some with our main server, and he remarked that he can size up diners pretty quickly as to the pace at which they want dinner served - from 2.5 hours to 4+ hours. At one point in the meal I had to take a phone call, so I stepped out onto the balcony (we were eating upstairs). As I was leaving the table, I noticed that our next course was on its way to us; the staff saw that I was stepping out, so they turned around and marched back into the kitchen. When I returned to the table and sat down, out they came and served the course!

-Chef Johnny

There used to be a "fine dining" Italian restaurant in my hometown called Barbuto's - it more or less ruled the roost locally for the title of best fancy restaurant in town. It's long gone now but still remembered as the place that turned down Paul Newman for dinner because he wasn't wearing a suit jacket (he was in town filming Slapshot). I happen to respect and appreciate places that don't bend the rules for anyone. If it's formal then it's formal and should stay that way.

But the thought of chef's pants somehow being more elegant than shorts is comical :smile: