• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles--Cook-Off 32

Pam R

Shelby,

I just put three smashed cloves of garlic, 1 Tsp of dill weed, 1 Tbs kosher salt, a Tsp of crushed red pepper in a quart jar and pack in the peeled hard boiled eggs. I fill the jar to the shoulder with distilled vinegar, top off with water, screw on the lid, shake to dissolve the salt and refrigerate for three days. Nothing fancy, but quite passable. 

HC

• Like 1

image.jpg

Was given some young ginger so I promptly pickled it. It will be refrigerated so don't fret about the plastic lid.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the recipe for the Quickles :) It makes roughly one quart jar.  Easily doubled or tripled or quadrupled or.....well, you catch my drift. You can either slice the cucumbers length-wise or in rounds.  I prefer rounds because I think they pickle quicker, but that could just be in my head ;)

2 mason jars and a lid and screw band

4-5 pickling cucumbers or heck regular cukes that are smallish in size work well too--I used both I think

3-4 peeled garlic cloves, sliced in halves

Fresh dill --I put a lot in...like 10 or so sprigs

1 TB pickling spice

3-4 whole dried red chili peppers

1TB sugar

1 1/2 TB pickling salt

2/3 cup white vinegar (I've also used cider with no problem--I actually kind of prefer it)

1 cup water

In a mason jar combine pickling spice, salt, sugar and vinegar.  Put the lid on and shake well.  Add the water. In the other mason jar pack the dill, cukes, garlic and chili peppers in.  I like to layer them so the dill is on the bottom and then some throughout.  Pour the brine over and screw the lid on tight.  Place it in the fridge and try to stay out of it for a week.  I've kept mine for a year in there with no problems.

I finally got around to doing this today. It really is easy. The last jar I did contains a pepper and some zuke as well as cukes. Thanks for posting this recipe, Shelby!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown