• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with mangos?

MJP

34 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Yes, lots of differences in mangoes from different parts of the world. A friend who traveled to Africa told me that those were really, really good. She compared it to a peach & said that there was no stringy stuff close to the seed.

This is similar to some of the best I've had in SE Asia.  I had one in Thailand where you didn't even need to chew - you just put a piece between your tongue and roof of your mouth and press.... it would just squoosh... and it was just sooo juicy....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm sorry, but I don't think that any mango that you get in the NY area, no matter how good your fruit distributor is, is going to compare to a tree ripened fruit.  Before going to SE Asia during mango season, I used to think that the Champagne or Ataulfo mangoes (grown in Mexico and picked green and "ripened' in a warehouse) were the best things ever - but once I had a mango in Thailand everything changed.  The whole perspective changes.  Don't get me wrong, I still get the ataulfo mangoes (much better than the Tommy Atkins variety, imo) but I can taste and smell the difference.

But most of us in the US aren't ever going to get that Thai mango.  So, if what we can get is, to our palate, lovely and delicious and something we'd eat again and again, what's the point of hearing how it doesn't measure up?  I'm truly, truly not trying to be belligerent, but I don't ever get the point of telling someone that they aren't getting the "best" when they are perfectly happy with what they are getting and are unable to get to what is supposed to be "best".  

• Like 5

IMO, it would be possible to ship / fly a mango (well-packed) to another location without a crazy loss in quality. IIRC, mangoes can ripen after they're picked. So, maybe you could ship mangoes that are 2 days away from peak ripeness.

IMO, the type of mango is very important. The types vary greatly. (Sort of like how a Hass avocado, IMO, is so much creamier than other avocados.)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

But most of us in the US aren't ever going to get that Thai mango.  So, if what we can get is, to our palate, lovely and delicious and something we'd eat again and again, what's the point of hearing how it doesn't measure up?  I'm truly, truly not trying to be belligerent, but I don't ever get the point of telling someone that they aren't getting the "best" when they are perfectly happy with what they are getting and are unable to get to what is supposed to be "best".  

I'm sorry - I'm really not trying to make anyone feel bad or like they're missing out... One of the things that I love about this community is that we have representatives from all over the world, with a huge host of experiences. I love reading about when other people experience something that I may never experience... or maybe I might.  Maybe some of the things I read here inspire my travel so I can get the opportunity to experience what they have. I understand that I have the opportunity to travel more often or to farther flung places than others and I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to do so. When I read about people in barbeque country talk about the stuff they can get, I love it, and I love knowing that no matter how good the barbeque is that i can get in NYC (some of it is pretty good), I like to keep it in perspective as to what is available all over.  One day I will make it to Franklin BBQ, or to eastern North Carolina for whole hog... but until i can get there, I can live vicariously through the stories I read here.  That's what I'm trying to do when talking about the Thai mangoes as compared to what is available in NYC.  As someone who has had both, I want to put things in perspective - I'm not trying to knock the NY available product - I'm trying to say (albeit maybe not very well) to people to try to imagine how good it could be.. so those who may never have an opportunity to see the things I've seen to live vicariously through me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

IMO, it would be possible to ship / fly a mango (well-packed) to another location without a crazy loss in quality. IIRC, mangoes can ripen after they're picked. So, maybe you could ship mangoes that are 2 days away from peak ripeness.

IMO, the type of mango is very important. The types vary greatly. (Sort of like how a Hass avocado, IMO, is so much creamier than other avocados.)

Exactly - variety is super important.  I've had some tree ripened mangoes in Indonesia that looked amazing and were super juicy, but literally had like no flavor at all.

• Like 2

The mangoes that I got were called Honey Mangoes.  I have no idea where they are from though.  I was very nervous  because they showed shipping last Monday and I didn't get them until yesterday (Fedex).  I was glad to see that they were still ok and not over ripe or smashed.  I'd really like to find some around here but I bet I couldn't.  Possibly the Asian market in the big city???  I have been really wanting to go there but haven't because of Covid and only going places that I absolutely need to.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'd really like to find some around here but I bet I couldn't.  Possibly the Asian market in the big city???  I have been really wanting to go there but haven't because of Covid and only going places that I absolutely need to.  

Is there a Sprouts store in the 'big city'? They usually carried a couple of kinds of mangoes in their AZ stores. Up here, I can get them at most of the grocery stores but I don't know what the KS stores are like. 

Sprouts locations:

https://www.sprouts.com/stores/

Edited by FauxPas
to add location information (log)
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Is there a Sprouts store in the 'big city'? They usually carried a couple of kinds of mangoes in their AZ stores. Up here, I can get them at most of the grocery stores but I don't know what the KS stores are like. 

Sprouts locations:

https://www.sprouts.com/stores/

Hmmm.... I don't know.  I'll look thanks for the. link!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The mangoes that I got were called Honey Mangoes.  I have no idea where they are from though.  I was very nervous  because they showed shipping last Monday and I didn't get them until yesterday (Fedex).  I was glad to see that they were still ok and not over ripe or smashed.  I'd really like to find some around here but I bet I couldn't.  Possibly the Asian market in the big city???  I have been really wanting to go there but haven't because of Covid and only going places that I absolutely need to.  

I often see Ataulfo (sp?) Mangoes labelled as Honey Mangoes in Virginia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby, are you a Costco member? Both here and in AZ, they often have ataulfo mangoes in their produce sections. You have to buy 6 which isn't a hardship for me. If I can't finish them while fresh, I throw chunks in the freezer. They can be used in cooking or drinks. I like to make my own mango chutney now and then and the frozen ones are great for that. Or to make mango bread. 

Edited by FauxPas
to clean up tenses (log)
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm sorry - I'm really not trying to make anyone feel bad or like they're missing out... One of the things that I love about this community is that we have representatives from all over the world, with a huge host of experiences. I love reading about when other people experience something that I may never experience... or maybe I might.  Maybe some of the things I read here inspire my travel so I can get the opportunity to experience what they have. I understand that I have the opportunity to travel more often or to farther flung places than others and I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to do so. When I read about people in barbeque country talk about the stuff they can get, I love it, and I love knowing that no matter how good the barbeque is that i can get in NYC (some of it is pretty good), I like to keep it in perspective as to what is available all over.  One day I will make it to Franklin BBQ, or to eastern North Carolina for whole hog... but until i can get there, I can live vicariously through the stories I read here.  That's what I'm trying to do when talking about the Thai mangoes as compared to what is available in NYC.  As someone who has had both, I want to put things in perspective - I'm not trying to knock the NY available product - I'm trying to say (albeit maybe not very well) to people to try to imagine how good it could be.. so those who may never have an opportunity to see the things I've seen to live vicariously through me.

I do get your meaning. If you have had durian in SE Asia and then gotten frozen whole in the US - not the same animal. Probably why my dragonfruit experience was a let down. I like hearing  about different fruits but in general I savor what I can get from my local grown. I'll raise you some of my from down my hill plums to something that had to get a passport ;)  Oh and my odd mind always keeps the Fruit Detective in the neural annals  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Karp_(pomologist)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby, are you a Costco member? Both here and in AZ, they often have ataulfo mangoes in their produce sections. You have to buy 6 which isn't a hardship for me. If I can't finish them while fresh, I throw chunks in the freezer. They can be used in cooking or drinks. I like to make my own mango chutney now and then and the frozen ones are great for that. Or to make mango bread. 

Tell me more about mango bread, please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Tell me more about mango bread, please.

Most of the time, I make it the same way as banana bread, just subbing mangoes for bananas. There are several recipes out there, I haven't done much other than try coconut instead of nuts or add a bit of lemon/orange zest. But I like the mango and nuts combo, too. I use my immersion blender to somewhat liquefy the mangoes, but leave a few chunky bits.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1