• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

S'Mores Bars

Caroline923

Looking for a smores recipe that would be in bar form for an adult party.  Need to make ahead - and if possible freeze - wondering if that would hurt the marshmallow part?

Someone told me that you can freeze marshmallows without any problems, but I haven't tried it myself.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Rocky Road Ice Cream. Frozen Marshmallows = Good.

Actually, we were once saddled with cases of 'mellows and froze them to keep them fresh. They were fine when thawed.

Try these. Anna Olsen from the Canadian Food Network made these at a class I attended at the LCBO. I found them a little sweet for my taste, so if there is a place to decrease the sugar a bit, I'd suggest doing it.

This recipe for "Brownie 'Smores" arrived in a magazine today. The high chocolate to marshmallow ratio sounds tempting... :rolleyes:

Oven 350.

Grease bottom of 9 x 13 pan and line it with graham crackers.

Melt 3/4 c butter with 4 oz. unswtnd chocolate. Remove from heat and stir in 1 c each sugar and brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, then 3 eggs, 1 c flour, then 1 1/2 c chocolate chips. Gently spread into pan atop crackers and bake 35-40 min or until top is just set/pick emerges with moist crumbs.

Heat broiler. Evenly space 35 regular-size marshmallows on top of brownies. Broil 30 sec to 2 min, until marshmallows puff and turn golden. Cut into 35 pieces while warm.

I'd love to hear how these taste

(as adapted from "Cooking Pleasures", June/July issue)

Edited by baroness (log)

i can thoroughly recommend alice medrich's "s'more bars" in her cookies and brownies book... it is so incredibly simple in concept and execution...... but it turns out sooo good. it's just a graham cracker crumb crust prebaked then topped with milk chocolate chips (i chopped my own chunks), toasted chopped walnuts, and a layer of mini marshmallows...baked until golden. mmmm.

follow my food adventures as

the sweet gourmand

I have had this idea for s'mores bars for a long time and never tried it...Here's how I think it will play out...

- crushed graham crust (like you would use on cheesecake base)

- milk chocolate brownies (maybe with bittersweet chunks?, or bittersweet brownies with milk choco chunks?)

- fresh marshmallows, piped directly onto the cooled brownie surface

- a dusting of either powdered sugar or maybe even cocoa powder

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

i have these on my current dessert menu, and i make them pretty much as described above: rather thick layer of graham cracker crust, made with a little extra butter & then frozen until very firm; layer of bittersweet brownies baked directly on top of the crust; homemade marshmallow (nightscotsman's recipe, vanilla version) spread over the top, and dusted VERY lightly with powdered sugar. i store them overnight, wrapped, and then cut into squares to serve - we use a propane torch to brown them just before serving :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I've read lots of topics on S'mores but am not sure what "graham crackers" are I'm pretty sure we don't get them in England, can anyone enlighten me or suggest an alternative?

Kerry Beals recipe sounds gorgeous !

so much to do so little time!

Think McVities no chocolate! only not quite as yummy :)

Actually there are recipes all over the internet for homemade versions if you want it to be more authentic.

Edited to add: I don't remember if graham flour is in digestives, but it is key to "graham" crackers... But, again the similarities are there.

Digestive biscuits! cool! makes them sound even more yummy. Now all I need to figure out is how to layer them cos they are round ...

Thanks for the prompt reply gfron1

so much to do so little time!

Kerry , I used the s'mores bar recipe you linked to upthread, knocking back the brown sugar by ~1/3C - they worked out very nicely - thanks!

I would provide a pic, since they were also pretty good looking, but all were eaten within an hour or so.

Anna