• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manchester Vermont

fchrisgrimm

We have a trip planned for April to the Equinox. I'm in my usual plan-ahead mode.

An old board noted the following...

Chantecleer

Reluctant Panther

The Perfect Wife

Bistro Henry's

Grafitti's

Emma's at the Silas Griffith Inn

Curious about any updated opinions on the above, as well as any new recommendations for Manchester.

Also, how's the grub at the Equinox.

Finally, is there anything notable within driving distance? Half-hour or so. Might get the family as far as North Adams, MA (to hit MassMOCA), but can't imagine anything further.

I eat any and everything, so am happy to hear of any unique area suggestions (not just sit-down).

We have a trip planned for April to the Equinox.  I'm in my usual plan-ahead mode.

An old board noted the following...

Chantecleer... Serious "fine dining" style service, good food. Kind of old world style imo. Only place I'll order the sweetbreads at.

Reluctant Panther... Burned down this fall. face inconsistancy problems the last few years.

The Perfect Wife... Like the bar. Food's pretty good when the owner/chef is in.

Bistro Henry's... Popular place. I've never been but heard fairly good things. Grafitti's... Great food with some service issues, when everything is right it's very nice.

Emma's at the Silas Griffith Inn... Bank took the inn and restaurant. Chef ( that's me) has opened his own place in Danby called Gatewood's. Here's a link to a review from last September...http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1029/FEATURES03

For lunch I've heard really good things about depot 62 or 69 in Manchester.

Finally, is there anything notable within driving distance?  Half-hour or so.  Might get the family as far as North Adams, MA (to hit MassMOCA), but can't imagine anything further.

There's an incredible old-world bakery in Middletown Springs, which is a half-hour or so to the north. They usually have a table at the Manchester Winter Farmer's Market, but I don't think that will still be operating in April.

Stay away from Lainey's -- a rib place in Manchester. My former roommate was a cook there, and you couldn't pay me to eat in a kitchen that would employ him.

• 2 weeks later...

If your interested in a casual lunch- it might be a little early in April for an al fresco picnic- you can eat in or take out at Al Ducci's in Manchester- great breads, make their own fresh mozzarella, soups, salads, etc. Nice selection of Italian products.

Mark A. Bauman

Three Clock Inn, a lovely place about 20 minutes from Manchester in Londonderry, is a special treat for dinner and well worth the drive. Great food and elegant atmosphere. Call for reservations. The chef/owner, a frenchman named Serge, also has a wine/gourmet shop across the street that is great for wine, coffee, croissants, prepared gourmet food, and the New York Times.

In Manchester, try Candellero's for fantastic Mexican. Great margaritas, chips/salsa, and mole poblano.

The Little Rooster Cafe, also in downtown Manchester, is a great spot for lunch. There's usually a line to get in, but the soups and sandwiches are worth the wait. There's a killer grilled ham and cheddar with slices of Granny Smith apple. If memory serves, there's also a good turkey sandwich with sage mayo and sprouts.

Enjoy!

here's my favorite list for manchester and manchester center

Ye OLDE TAVERN - Great new england fare

Candelleros - Mexican - Thursday half price margaritas

Perferct wife - THe have a fancier restaurant and a pub. Found service can be hit or miss but food is excellent

Sirloin saloon - If you like steaks i recommend this place

Bistro Henry - Nice atmosphere and french food

Garlic Johns - Italian( red sauce type of restaurant) but food is very good

Mulligan - Nice irish pub atmosphere

Up for Breakfast- This place makes excellent omellets

hope this helps you out a bit

tom

• 1 month later...

I second the recommendation for Up For Breakfast-- usually packed, but worth the wait. Amazing breakfast meats, including some unusual (and DELICIOUS) sausages: buffalo sausage, pheasant sausage... All good.

For lunch (or for a rainy day to hang out, or check your email, if you've got a laptop that's wireless capable), check out the Sprial Press Cafe at the Northshire Bookstore. Huge book selection, comfortable seating area in the cafe, with lots of nice couches. Good panini sandwiches, soups and salads...

Make sure you take a walk up the hill behind the Equinox; there's a lake up there that's actually Equinox-owned and it's very beautiful, up in the woods...

Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I need to find four restaurants in the Manchester, Vermont area to take groups of about 10 in July. We generally choose an "upscale," an Italian, a steak/seafood and a "local flavor." I've searched the board, but don't see anything very current, so any advice would be appreciated. In 2003, we used Ye Olde Tavern, Angels, Candeleros and Mistral's (those who ate at Angels and Candeleros were not very impressed).

Cross-posted on Chowhound.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had great meals at these places recently.

The Dorset Inn - 10 minutes from Manchester in Dorset - Great food.

Pascal's French Bistro - 20 minutes from Manchester in Pawlet - great food, awful desserts.

The Reluctant Panther - In Manchester - great local food & steaks

The Marsh Tavern at The Equinox - In Manchester - just changed the menu to feature local cuisine.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.