• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite lunch meat

as far as the differences between Hoggies, subs, heros, etc... oh yeah and grinders-  You will notice in my original posting I mentioned my fav sub, wrap, sandwich, cold-cut platter, I did post 'Not sure' by hoggie - because I was not sure.

meaning - the difference. Is it just a regional name difference. Names are different from place to place but its all the same thing? Who knows, well not me at least.

For some reason I suppose I was under the assumption that there was a difference, most likely a minimal difference. But sometimes, those small differences made a big impact on the end product.

Is the bread different? The process in baking the bread or preparing the sub/hero/grinder/hoggie? Are there differences in the ingredients (meaning the ORIGINAL, politically correct ingredients...if they even exist)?

To all of this I am not sure, which is why I didnt specify my favorite grinders, hoggies, heros. I did post a "not sure" by hoggies, because I am not sure!

Can anyone clear this up for us? I suppose maybe I shouldnt start a new topic on something that I do not know the "ins and outs of". Sorry!

As for the Philadelphia version of this sandwich, I thought I explained it all for you already. You mean to tell me you weren't paying attention? :smile:

As for the distinctions among the various types of sandwiches served on torpedo rolls, they are often subtle -- someone untrained in the nuances would have a hard time distinguishing a hoagie from a hero from a sub. (In fact, Dietz & Watson has a poster that I've seen in some delis that carry their products and on the side of their delivery trucks that begins with a pun but then accounts for those similarities; it bears the legend "Make yourself a HERO!" Below "HERO," in smaller type, "Hoagie!" Below that, in smaller type still, "Sub!") Often it's something as simple as the mix of meats; just as often, as any Philly hoagie aficionado would tell you, it's the bread.

My recollection is that oil and oregano are not used that often on subs; they are common ingredients on hoagies. The first sub I ever recall eating had mustard on it; traditionally, that's a no-no on a hoagie, which is why I have to speak up when asking for it.

There is something about the composition of a po'boy that makes it noticeably different from the other sandwiches in its class. Perhaps it's the use of French bread as opposed to the Italian torpedo rolls found on good hoagies. Perhaps it's the use of fillings that go well beyond the traditional lunch meats -- you can get crab, shrimp and chicken po'boys; the closest I've seen to these among the "big three" torpedo sandwiches are the tuna and seafood salad hoagies, which are different creatures altogether. I recall that the po'boy is in some way a bit more savory in taste than the hoagie/hero/sub.

There are toasted subs and hoagies, to be sure; Quiznos did not invent the concept -- it just streamlined and franchised it. But toasting is one thing that distinguishes the grinder from the rest; it's never served cold. The other distinguishing feature is the hollowing out of the bread. The grinders served at Mario's in downtown Kansas City took the concept one step further by not slicing the roll before hollowing it out; instead, they cut off one end of the roll and cut out the inside of the rest of it, then filled the roll with the fillings, plugged it with the cut-off end, and put it in the oven.

Edited to add: No apology necessary! We're here to read, chew, discuss and learn, right?

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sandwiches

If it's on soft squishy white bread, I love chicken salad with cranberry sauce

Submarines - I happen to prefer roast beef OR salami on submarines....

I've never had a sub I liked, so I'm still looking for the ideal filling.

Wraps - My selection of choice for wraps tends to be shredded chicken.....

I hate wraps.

Cold cuts - without a doubt prosciutto, salami and salami relatives (per-say)

Genoa salami!! Hot!!! On an Italian bun--one of those hard crusty ones.

Hoggies - not sure actually!

I don't think I've ever had a hoagie.

I have a weird cork I will admit to, a few actually.

1.) I like more meat/cheese in the middle of my sandwich then on the outside. I guess this is because of my second cork...which is:

2.) I like to eat the outside first, and the middle last...this holds true for sandwiches, subs, wraps, etc.... I also like to eat the outside of oreas first and the cream fileld center last. I tend to save the 'best' for last...hehe

3.) I often re-assemble my sandwiches when they are made by someone other than ME! Its never done right...haha...I get looks when I do this in my grad classes with my subway subs....it all comes off and goes back on. Of course with larger portions of the best stuff in the middle ( which in the case of Subway is the salami, cheese, black olives, pickles...hehe)

If you wanna get really outta control, how about answering "Do you have a favorite type of cheese for each of these varieties (sandwich, subs, hoggie, wrap, etc...)...or do you like the same?

So...???

Now tell the truth, were you a bit drunk when you posted this? Some of the typos are hilarious! (oreas...)

I hate wraps.

Have you weighed in on the topic Fat Guy started on this subject? It looks like this sentiment is universal, or nearly so, on eG -- I've yet to see anyone chime in with a defense of these creatures.

May I suggest an Italian hoagie?

Now tell the truth, were you a bit drunk when you posted this?  Some of the typos are hilarious!  (oreas...)

Female Oreos?

I'm not going any further than that, no siree.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I like most everything from the deli counter (save souse---an unfortunate leaving-out-overnight in a warm grocery store, with the melted result cascading over the slicer, the counter, the floor is still a vivid trauma), but my favorite "lunchmeat" of all time has to be the five-pound CAN of a Spammish mystery meat given GIFT-WRAPPED by the janitress at my office to DS#2 upon the occasion of his high-school graduation.

It looked vaguely like a 40's Army ammo-case, and could, indeed, have housed all manner of weaponry and ordnance, the great heft of that long can requiring carrying clasped to your chest like a baby with a shiny little key attached. The turning of that key took muscles cultivated by years on the farm, and went on for a long time. As the squarish pinky-gray log was coaxed from the more-than-a-foot-long tin, it fell with a decided smock onto the platter, lying there with little flecks of aspic clinging to its slick sides.

We cut it into approximate pound bits, bagged four and froze them, and gave the remaining one its deserved pomp and splendor by cutting it into cubes and skewering it on those fluffy-panties toothpicks with cherry tomatoes, pineapple bits, or cocktail onions. Several strong mustards on the side served to counteract the rich, not-quite-Spammy flavor of each bite.

We took pictures of the platter in all its glory, and Queen Ethel almost wept with delight at the image, as well as at her lovely little Tupperware of the goodies that I carried to work. I REALLY wanted to ask to read that Thank You note.

That STILL goes down as #1 on the list of "Strangest Gifts I Have Known." Right up there with the set of Odor-Eaters received by a neighbor, folded into a birthday card from his mother. And he was a VERY clean person. :blink:

Sandwiches

Submarines - I happen to prefer roast beef OR salami on submarines....

I've never had a sub I liked, so I'm still looking for the ideal filling.

I hate wraps.

Cold cuts - without a doubt prosciutto, salami and salami relatives (per-say)

Genoa salami!! Hot!!! On an Italian bun--one of those hard crusty ones.

I have a weird cork I will admit to, a few actually.

1.) I like more meat/cheese in the middle of my sandwich then on the outside. I guess this is because of my second cork...which is:

2.) I like to eat the outside first, and the middle last...this holds true for sandwiches, subs, wraps, etc.... I also like to eat the outside of oreas first and the cream fileld center last. I tend to save the 'best' for last...hehe

3.) I often re-assemble my sandwiches when they are made by someone other than ME! Its never done right...haha...I get looks when I do this in my grad classes with my subway subs....it all comes off and goes back on. Of course with larger portions of the best stuff in the middle ( which in the case of Subway is the salami, cheese, black olives, pickles...hehe)

If you wanna get really outta control, how about answering "Do you have a favorite type of cheese for each of these varieties (sandwich, subs, hoggie, wrap, etc...)...or do you like the same?

So...???

Now tell the truth, were you a bit drunk when you posted this? Some of the typos are hilarious! (oreas...)

Wish I could say "yes, yes I was drunk". But - that would be a lie. I was completely sober. I have no clue why I was thinking 'corks' when it should have been 'quirks'. As far as oreas...that was just a finger slip, i know its supposed to be oreos. I need to slow down and proof-read. I tend to do everything too fast....you should hear me speak.....fast fast fast. My parents were always saying to me "Lindsay, sloooowwww down". And - that applied to everything I did :wacko:

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Hot - physically hot - pastrami, tomato, easy on the mayo, and meunster cheese, on a kaiser roll. Drives deli types nuts, but it's my personal test case when trying out a new deli. If they can't do that to order, they're in the wrong business.

But nobody else agrees with me, especially about the cheese.

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

Which reminds me of the quintessential 'traditional turkey' sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce. 'Yum' does not begin to approach the deliciousness quotient of that creation.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large