• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Pizza

GlorifiedRice

gallery_54221_4685_52943.jpg

Thanks for your interest in my article! It was nominated as 'Health Food of the Day' and 'Heart Attack Waiting to Happen' by fellow bloggers yesterday. But this is a traditional working class dish in Napoli. You definitely need an exhausting occupation to be able to afford the calorie explosion.

The guy invited me into his shop and let me watch him prepare the pizza fritta, then sat me at his marble work bench to eat, while making conversation (I speak Italian quite well) with him and a pal who came for pizza. A very nice moment indeed!

Edited by FXcuisine (log)

Yeah yeah just like a calzone...a good proper deep fried calzone...

Mmm now I want a calzone

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Yeah yeah just like a calzone...a good proper deep fried calzone...

Mmm now I want a calzone

tracey

Not exactly like a calzone, which is a single disc of dough folded in half and baked in the oven. Here we have to disc of dough, which make a flat thick disc which is deep-fried. But similar in other respects, you are right!

Mmmmmmmmmmm. That looks so good to me! I can almost taste the crispy/chewy crust, and oozing inner deliciousness...........I want that, Now!

Sort of reminds me of my grandmom's deep fried yeast dough pies, filled with everything from fruit to, yes, pizza stuff. Yummy :rolleyes:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

The deep fried pizza predates the mars bar as a staple of Scottish chip shops, but unlike the one shown here we are talking deep frozen, dipped in batter and fried, and on one memorable occasion I remember they forgot to take it out of the plastic wrapping before battering and frying it. Ick.

The Neapolitan version really does look like health food by comparison.

Amen!

Perhaps that is why everyone in the south is soooo laidback, friendly and perpetually happy. I think I must dig out the deep-frier and have pizza for dinner. :raz:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Can't be much worse than an empanada - can it? Funny... there's a business in my town called Pizza Frite. They have a hugely popular stand at the NY State Fair every year that sells two foot long hunks of fried dough sprinkled with granulated sugar.

And we also have a few neighborhood pizza shops that sell "luna's". It's a full size pizza that looks exactly like the stuffed pizza frite in the linked article but it gets brushed with olive oil and then baked like a regular pizza. And it's incredibly greasy. But tasty :biggrin:

Neapolitan friggitorie (fry palaces) are a little piece of heaven. After hitting up a couple on trips to Naples, I fantasized about opening one up in the US. (Cf fxcuisine's post on that thread as well).

Pizza fritta is only the start; deep-fried zucchini and eggplant are also wonderful. Neapolitans know from fried food!

Maybe I could whip up some tiny little ones...or would that defeat the whole caloric concept?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...