• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona: Cinc Sentits

shuren

They are very similar to Gaig (who, by the way, was eating at Tapaç24), but at 5S they are minimized....as if instead of "canalons" it were "macarrons."  Gaig were regular canalons, no reinventing the wheel.  Here they create another wheel, same dish conception different presentation and elements, same results. However, it is the process that the diner experiences (the known elements being confused by the different visual and textures).  It is a very small dish, size-wise, but very effective flavor-wise. I will send you a pic.

It was my best 5S meal ever.

Sounds wonderful.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, it is. Thank you very much. One note about the picture: these canalons are much smaller than the regular sized canalons. I, seriously, could have eaten five servings.

L,hungry for canalons always.

On another note, my server at 5S, Eric, was absolutely brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

It was my birthday last Sunday and my family came to visit me in Barcelona. We ate at various restaurants over the extended weekend, climaxing with a fantastic meal at Cinc Sentits on Tuesday night. Having quietly booked a table the same day without any mention of my anniversary, I was amazed when Jordi, Amèlia and Roser Artal came to my table with a birthday candle. They had spotted my name amongst the bookings, remembered from a previous visit that I publish a blog ( http://www.aidanbrooks.blogspot.com ) and checked it out. Now that's what I call attention to customers!

The food was every bit as good as previously and they even managed to make my coeliac dad very happy despite bread in various forms being integral to the textural composition of several dishes. Jordi's food has all the intelligence of combination and brilliance of execution that you find on plates served elsewhere with a vast amount going on. Yet hardly a dish on the tasting menu on Tuesday involved more than four distinct elements. And while playing in various directions, they remain so unmistakably Catalan.

Late last night I heard that Cinc Sentits was awarded its first Michelin star, just hours after I ate there. I'm delighted for the family and I can only urge everyone to visit this gem of a restaurant. Hopefully the award and the expectations that sometimes go with it won't be its downfall.

• 12 years later...