• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Cake and Bread

JWest

Just finished a new project by sous vide poaching banana bread batter. I don't have the exact recipe on the batter but I was able to accomplish an actual firm, slightly dense, and flavorful banana bread. This was my only first attempt but I have a feeling if I adjust the recipe and timing...I can come up with an even better product.

The original idea was to create the "goo" of banana bread without having the extra waste of the outer edges of banana bread.

Anyone have any ideas or input?

...oh and tell me if someone has already accomplished this. :smile:

Here's the photo on my blog. (Also on my flickr account)

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

A couple of pastry chefs, not exactly household names, have done "steamed" cakes.

You could do that in a combi oven or the DIY way ( my way when i did it) which prepare a 1/2 sheet pan, pour the cake mix into it.

Place the pan over a perforated hotel pan fitted into a regular hotel pan filled with steaming hot water.

Before you goe there though you shoulud prepare a foil (dull side out) kind of cover which has some volume over the top of it.

Bake at your temp.

I would think bread sous vide would not bring you the results one would expect, namely crust.

But hell. it could turn out cool!

BTW, if you would like the steamed cakefacts in more detail, PM me.

Good Luck

P.S.

The cake had a kind of "different texture, hard to describe, almost Asian, if that makes sense :blink:

2317/5000