• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperitivo Americano

eje

I tasted all the white gentian imports available (Suze, Avèze, Salers) and our conclusion was that Suze was probably best for sipping or mixing with seltzer, but that Salers worked better in cocktails, having a more straightforward and present gentian profile. My "Haus Alpenz White Negroni" consists of Hayman's Royal Dock gin, Cocchi Aperitivo Americano and Salers Aperitif in 3:2:1 ratio.

At Fred Yarm's suggestion, I've been subbing the new Salers liqueur for Suze. I enjoyed the White Negroni, but it could be more more bitter and a bit less sweet to really warrant the Negroni name, even with Cocchi. I'll swap the ratios next time.

--

Lindberg's Baby

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

scant ½ oz Marie Brizard Apry apricot liqueur

dash Scrappy's or Fee's grapefruit bitters

dash Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Decanter or Angostura bitters

Yikes. I'm scared, although you seldom steer me wrong, Chris. Corriander, orange, apricot, juniper, grapefruit, pie spice, oh my. That's a pretty advanced cocktail for a fundraiser. How did it go over with mere mortals?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I shouldn't sound like a contrarian with my very first post on this forum, but personally I'm going back to Lillet.

Welcome, Van Stratten. Allow me to take a different approach to your contrarian one. :wink:

Thanks, Chris. I ended up finishing the bottle of Cocchi Americano I had by drinking it plain (or "neat" to use the popular euphemism), and thought again that it was very good by itself. Something that tastes that good must mix well with something. I'll need to experiment with it again. Maybe that Kina Cocktail or White Negroni should be next.

And I have to back track on the harsh criticism I made about it. I recently opened up a new bottle of Lillet Blanc, made a 20th Century Cocktail with it, and it tasted just as "flat" as the ones I made with C.A. I was stunned. I thought I had that drink perfected, but I guess not. I haven't made it again but I suspect the problem is that I made the bad ones with too much creme de cacao. I had settled on Gary Regan's 3:1:1:1 ratio as the best version, but I'll need to tone down the creme de cacao a bit or go back to Dr. Cocktail's 6:3:3:2 ratio. More experimentation is needed (...the horror).

My husband has been on a real Bourbon kick lately, ever since discovering that it's the one kind of whiskey he likes, so when I showed him the Bourbon Dynasty in David Wondrich's Killer Cocktails, his first reaction was, "Yes, make that one." So I put the Cocchi through its paces as a substitute for Lillet once again, to great effect. The drink is on the same template as the Weeski, with Bourbon instead of Irish (Maker's Mark specified; I used Evan Williams), cassis instead of Cointreau, and Peychaud's instead of orange bitters. I usually up the liqueur to 1/4 oz. from 1 tsp. in these recipes, because I sometimes find it a touch too dry otherwise; I guess that gives me a sweet tooth around these parts. Anyway, adjusted thusly, this was a very lush, lovely cocktail.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Lindberg's Baby

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

Yikes. I'm scared, although you seldom steer me wrong, Chris. Corriander, orange, apricot, juniper, grapefruit, pie spice, oh my. That's a pretty advanced cocktail for a fundraiser. How did it go over with mere mortals?

They loved it -- the first drink we ran out of that night. (Not so with another drink of my concoction, FWIW...) I think this libation is one of my best, a favorite for me and many guests.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

An example of my own devising: I came up with the Lindberg's Baby recipe for a fundraiser here at which I was host bartender, and it showcases every good feature of the Cocchi Americano (as well as the outstanding Ransom Old Tom gin):

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

No need to throw out Lillet or CA. Each has a rightful place, methinks.

I had to sub Ransom for the imperfect combo of Hayman's and Botanist but this is some nice work, Chris.

Lindberg's Baby

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

They loved it -- the first drink we ran out of that night. (Not so with another drink of my concoction, FWIW...) I think this libation is one of my best, a favorite for me and many guests.

I loved it too! Had one at Teardrop Lounge here in Portland tonight!

7953615774_bbda5f1615_b.jpg

7953616704_79fae97901_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Writing here as US importer for Cocchi Americano (Bianco), we are just now rolling out in the US their Americano Rosa. Where the Bianco has a wine base of their estate Moscato, the Rosa is a blend of Brachetto d'Acqui and Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco. Both variatals give notes of white rose and summer berries, strawberry in particular. If you'd like to taste one of the base wines, seek out the Cocchi Brachetto d'Acqui we sell in select markets. Enjoy!

Thanks, Eric!

Any inside tips on how mixing with the Rosa formula differs from the straight Bianco?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Hi Yojimbo - in the standard 2:1 mix with soda on ice, use lemon peel instead of orange slice. To my well worn palate there's something ambrosia coming out of that wine base - caveat that I sell and sometime drink the potion - decide for yourself...!

Lindberg's Baby

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

I loved it too! Had one at Teardrop Lounge here in Portland tonight!

I was a little scared too but ended up trying Lindbergh's Baby the other night. I used Hayman's Old Tom gin, Cocchi Americano, Rothman & Winter orchard apricot liqueur (about 3/8 oz), grapefruit bitters made by a friend, and Jerry Thomas decanter bitters.

8394188086_eb13f3d844_z.jpg

I am sad to report that I did not care for it. It was too sweet and had a weird candy flavor from the R&W apricot liqueur and Cocchi Americano combination. I was expecting something elegant and aromatic. The original Charles Lindbergh cocktail from the Savoy Cocktail Book, reproduced below with Erik's tasting notes for reference purposes, only has a small amount of apricot. But I recognize that the Ransom Old Tom gin may be quite different from Hayman's, which may be the source of my problems. Also, although I like R&W as a subtle accent, I don't care for it in larger amounts.

I added a grapefruit twist after tasting, in an effort to add some acidity. I also boosted the bitters a little bit but the cocktail still did not come together for me.

I haven't tried the original but seeing it described as a "girly drink" is not very tempting to me!

gallery_27569_3038_39361.jpg

Charlie Lindbergh Cocktail

2 Dashes Orange Juice. (2/3 tsp Orange Juice)

2 Dashes Pricota. (2/3 tsp Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot liqueur)

1/2 Kina Lillet. (1 oz Cocchi Americano)

1/2 Plymouth Gin. (1 oz Plymouth Gin)

Shake (stir?) well and serve in cocktail glass. Squeeze lemon peel on top.

I can only assume this is named after Charles Lindbergh, the aviator who flew the first successful non-stop flight between New York and Paris in May of 1927.

The cocktail itself seemed a bit, uh, "girly". Nice enough, and all, but more of the sort of drink you'd buy for that cute girl you are trying to impress, than the sort of thing you'd have as a brace up after crossing the Atlantic.

If you want to play along and don't have Cocchi Americano, I'd again suggest 1 oz dry vermouth, dash angosutura, dash maraschino liqueur, and an orange twist squeezed into the tin. It's pretty close and might even be better in this particular case.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

But I recognize that the Ransom Old Tom gin may be quite different from Hayman's, which may be the source of my problems.

Indeed, that's your problem right there.

I see.

I did not realize that Ransom was a different style of Old Tom gin with, based on what I just read in the Old Tom Gin thread, strong botanical and malty flavors. I will know for next time. The baby *almost* ended in the sink but I finished my glass out of respect for Chris! :smile:

I've had the Lindberg's Baby made with Chris's recipe and Ransom Old Tom and I had no urge to pour it anyplace but down the hatch. It's a keeper for me.

It also makes a fine Tom Collins though you may want to cut back on the sugar just a bit.

I'm a big fan of the Ransom Old Tom Gin. You have the added bonus of supporting Tad Seestedt, the owner, one of the nicest people anywhere. Tad's been around the Oregon Wine and Spirits business for years, but finally found overnight success with the Old Tom. He also produces some fine Oregon Wines.

index-1.jpg

Edited by Keith Orr (log)

As said above, the Ransom and Hayman's are radically different, and I can't imagine that drink being made with anything other than the Ransom. It was built precisely for that spirit. Save the Hayman's for a terrific Martinez.

I've never used the R&W apricot in the drink, so can't comment on that. Will have to seek it out!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Yeah, I'm not good with tasting notes at the best of times. I would describe Ransom Old Tom as a bit malty (but not as much as, say, Geneviève), but also bright and floral. It's substantially more aromatically complex than Hayman's and (as I recall), fuller-bodied. Ransom Old Tom really is sui generis, IMO.

Edit: Does it help to think that my favourite use for Hayman's is in a Martinez, while my favourite use for Ransom is in an Old Fashioned with lavender bitters, a Chartreuse rinse and a lemon twist?

You gotta get a bottle.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Tough question! If you've never had the Ransom, it's nearly impossible to explain, I'm afraid. Matt? Someone? Bueller?

I'll take a crack at it -- whereas Hayman's has mostly a sweetened, oilier London Dry profile (my personal take, feel free to differ), Ransom is drier, with all the botanicals of London Dry (heavy on the cardamom and bitter citrus) and the added malty and resinous character of a genever (I'd say its closest American cousin is Anchor's Genevieve, but it doesn't have quite the paint-thinner character -- I actually mean that in a positive way -- that Genevieve has). Nothing against Hayman's, I made some fine cocktails with my bottle, but Ransom is really a whole different take on Old Tom, and a knockout. You'll just have to try it and see!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I was actually wondering about the taste of the cocktail itself, but maybe it is also hard to describe. In any case, thanks for the detailed tasting notes on the Ransom gin. I am intrigued. It looks like everyone is very passionate about it!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Attempt to describe the Lindberg's Baby - first you get the malty gin flavour, tempered by the citrus nose of the grapefruit bitters, then at the end comes in the sweet fruity tone from the apry.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 2 months later...

It's delicious. It has a very similar flavor to regular Cocchi, that is if the orange notes in Cocchi were replaced by berry.

3 oz, rocks, with a splash of soda, with a big, fat lemon peel - perfect for a spring afternoon.

• 11 months later...

An example of my own devising: I came up with the Lindberg's Baby recipe for a fundraiser here at which I was host bartender, and it showcases every good feature of the Cocchi Americano (as well as the outstanding Ransom Old Tom gin):

1½ oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Cocchi Americano

No need to throw out Lillet or CA. Each has a rightful place, methinks.

I know this thread is a tad old, but I found it looking for something new to make with the Cocchi Americano I'd just bought a new bottle of, and I just want to compliment Chris Amirault on his wonderful Lindberg's Baby. I'd just bought a new bottle of Ransom at the same time so a drink mixing the two was a bonus. I'd tried mixing them before but to unimpressive results. I had Fee's grapefruit and the Jerry Thomas, but not the Marie Brizard, so for that I substituted some peach syrup (the kind meant for "italian sodas"). It was wonderful. I'm probably going to serve this at an upcoming party.

My one reservation is the name, which if you know the history, could perhaps be offensive. Besides being a "crime of the century" press circus, the Lindberg baby kidnapping was quite tragic. The dead toddler was found a few months after the kidnapping. I think this tasty cocktail calls for a lighter name.

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by ericjs (log)