• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

clarified shrub recipe

Cocchi Americano is at the center of my first original of 2017, which I'm calling the Fragola Rock
by Craig Eliason, St. Paul, Minnesota (USA)

1 1/2 oz Aromatized wine, Cocchi Americano
1 oz Gin
3/4 oz Strawberry shrub
10 dr Salt Solution
1 oz Soda water (to top)
1 twst Grapefruit peel (as garnish)
1 Strawberry (as garnish)

Stir all but soda, strain onto big rock in a DOF (or onto cracked ice in a wine glass), top with soda, briefly stir, express grapefruit twist and garnish with it and/or a strawberry.

--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

IMG_2637 1.png

Citrus juice (lemon and grapefruit) comes through though it's not present! This is accessible and tasty. The strawberry flavors are very subtle; the vinegar comes through more strongly, though there's enough sweetness (and a little bitter from the americano) to hold it in check. 

I made the shrub a while ago from the Serious Eats cold-process recipe. Can't recall if I used cider vinegar or red wine vinegar or a combination of the two. 

Craig E

Craig E

Cocchi Americano is at the center of my first original of 2017, which I'm calling the Fragola Rock

1 oz Gin
3/4 oz Strawberry shrub
10 dr Salt Solution
1 oz Soda water (to top)

Stir all but soda, strain onto big rock in a DOF (or onto cracked ice in a wine glass), top with soda, briefly stir, express grapefruit twist and garnish with it and/or a strawberry.

--

IMG_2637 1.png

Citrus juice (lemon and grapefruit) comes through though it's not present! This is accessible and tasty. The strawberry flavors are very subtle, though the vinegar plays its part. 

Craig E

Craig E

Cocchi Americano is at the center of my first original of 2017, which I'm calling the Fragola Rock.

Fragola Rock

1 oz Gin
3/4 oz Strawberry shrub
10 dr Salt Solution
1 oz Soda water (to top)

Citrus juice (lemon and grapefruit) comes through though it's not present. Light, accessible.

--

IMG_2637 1.png