• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Levure alsacienne

To my husband's delight, I have found a recipe for la Galette au Sucre that he has enjoyed at fairs in the Bugey area of eastern France. However, the recipe calles for levure alsacienne. How does this differ from the sachets that are commonly called for? Or is this yeast?

Also, does anyone have instruction for making the other galette proposed in in this region, the Galette au Creme? I think that they both originate in Perouges.

eGullet member #80.

If you Google for "galette au sucre" (include the quotation marks) you will find recipes which either use baking powder (levure chimique/alsacienne) or yeast (levure) - they'll give different results.

And if you Google for "galette a la creme" you will find recipes (in French). It rather depends what flavour of galette you want the filling to contain - frangipane, almonds, marron, hazelnut, lemon, coconut.....I don't know what the Perouges version contains.

And if you Google for "galette a la creme" you will find recipes (in French). It rather depends what flavour of galette you want the filling to contain - frangipane, almonds, marron, hazelnut, lemon, coconut.....I don't know what the Perouges version contains.

Thanks, milkman. The Bugey tart had a topping rather than a filling, much like a 14" rich crusted pizza with 1/4" slightly sweetened cream on top. Were I to wing it, I would probably make the "quick" raised crust and top it with sweetened creme fraiche.

eGullet member #80.