• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lesley Chesterman

lioness

• 1 month later...
Oh, well then it could take a while.  :laugh:

But seriously, I'm aiming for September.

Start small, see where -- or if -- it goes.

Good luck, Lesley C! I am a longtime fan of your writing on food and have worked in web/coding/design/multimedia for over 10 years. Please feel free to PM me either if you wanted to run ideas past me, or perhaps--is this tactless to do this here?--engage me freelance at very reasonable rates... :rolleyes:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Website is way too much work.. Why not just Facebook?

- M

:biggrin:

That would certainly be a good way to eliminate any overtone of respectability, if that's what she wants to do. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the new website! (as long as it's not on Facebook. I hate facebook!)

I think the point of a website is to see it as the modern version of a restaurant guide. I wrote two guides and I will not be writing a third. With so many restaurants opening and closing, a website is, I think, the better format for a guide.

I’m going to start with a year’s worth of reviews, and gradually add older ones that I think are still relevant. As I did with my guides, only restaurants rated two stars and above will be listed. Even if people don’t agree with my reviews, it will be a good resource for finding information.

I’ll also include other articles, interviews and book reviews that I still find relevant, as well as recipe-driven articles and columns. I can add more pictures, up-to-the minute info, and stories that aren’t necessarily suited to the newspaper format.

I hope it goes well, and at the very least, it will save restaurant goers the $16 many of them forked over for the guides.

This should all be on-line within a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great, Lesley, and I have no doubt that it will become THE reference for restaurant searches in MTL. Plus, you can actually make a profit, if you want, by having a boxed area of related Google ads.

If you ever do want contributors - who knows, you may have a section on New York or São Paulo restaurants - I'll gladly volunteer! ;)

And do let us of all know when it goes online, and best of luck!

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

I'm loading in the content now...and there's lots of it.

After reading through a ton of copy, I've decided to start with a year's worth or reviews and add in the relevant ones from there. I'm also including some older, recipe-driven features that I liked best, as well as book reviews, interviews, recipes, and favourite kitchen products. There will also be a blog for posting artices not suited to the newspaper. It should be fun, but getting it off the ground has taken forever.

I will gladly accept any food stories, and -- hey -- when those google ads kick in, I might even be able to pay you! :smile:

If all goes well (and heaven knows there are bound to be glitches), I'll be going live this weekend. www.lesleychesterman.com

Congrats, Leslie! You are among my favourite Montreal food writers and 'personalities', and you and Sarah Musgrave are the first 2 people I read in the Saturday Gazette.

Good luck! (Don't hold out to become a millionaire from Google Ads, though :-( )

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 4 months later...

Suberb job!!!

Click here for Lesley Chesterman's Montreal Fine Dining and Much More Website

Nice design, LOTS of information and you keep it updated too. WOW!

What's wrong with you folks, why aren't you chatting up her website?? Oh, forgot - asleep at wheel like me - or over at that canine place. Zzzzzzz.

This is an impressive website, good reviews of old and new and up-to-date written by a pro.

Use it before you come to Montreal.

So..Thanks Lesley (late but humbly).... did not know:

- Mikado moved -

THANKS .... the old place entrance always reminded me of a "oriental" massage parlor.

New digs look great.

- Villa Armando

Shoot...did not know it was a restaurant - I thought it was some kind of institution.

Fancy that - an actual resto in TMR! And I can walk there in 5 minutes.

Agree... Hooray!

Edited by sf&m (log)