• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dayton Good News: Anna Kearney to open restaurant

shadow

Well, I for one am so excited. Just saw in the paper yesterday that Anna Kearney who owned Perisyle in New Orleans and closed it to move to Dayton, Ohio to be closer to relatives , is opening a new restaurant in that area . She will call it Rue Dumaine( named after the street that Peristyle was on in New Orleans) and will do American Bistro food. She has been growing organic vegetables in that area for several years and I am sure will feature them. Set to open in October. I am from Cincinnati and will drive to go to that one.

• 4 months later...

Chef Anne Kearney plans to open her new restaurant, Rue Dumaine, in Centerville – south of Dayton – by mid to late November. The restaurant will offer Kearney’s interpretation of southern French cuisine in a casual setting at lunch on Fridays and at dinner Tuesday-Saturday.

A native of Dayton, Kearney earned acclaim in the late 1990s as one of the best young chefs in America at her New Orleans restaurant, Peristyle. Before then, she worked for several New Orleans chefs, including Emeril Lagasse. She honed her cooking skills in Cincinnati, graduating from the former Greater Cincinnati Culinary Academy and cooking at Grammer’s Restaurant in Over-the-Rhine.

Kearney returned to Ohio in 2004 to be close to her parents, who live in Warren County. For the last three years, Kearney and her husband, Tom Sand, have been raising and selling organic produce. While planning the new restaurant, Kearney also taught cooking classes at Cincinnati State and other area schools.

Chuck Martin

One of the best meals of my life was at Peristyle. I live in New Orleans for 2 years. Her food and approach to food is amazing!! I have Trailed in her kitchen and got to know Anne and Tom over a beer or 2, they are some of the nicest people I have ever met!! I will be making a trip to the new restaurant with out a doubt.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

• 1 month later...

I haven't made it there yet, however it got a nice review in the Dayton newspaper. Seems ( according to other sources) to have had a mildly rocky start--due, probably to too much success from the very first--but now things are good. Local produce, nicely done, Maybe next week:)