• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

decanting

Jinmyo

Hi, David.

I seem to remember something about it being best not to decant most Italian red wines. And to pour out only a few tastes at a time. Could you please comment on this?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I don't know who told you that, but next time you see him/her give 'em a quick backhand to the head, a la Tony Soprano to AJ.

We decant both young and old wines, for two different reasons--young ones to aerate them and "open them up," old ones to leave sediment behind and, in some instances, open them up, too.

One thing I will say is that I tend to consider how old an old wine is before decanting. Any Italian wine older than, say, 1985, I would strongly consider pouring gently from the bottle. It might fall apart too quickly in the decanter.

Ah, David, that must have been it.

Thank you.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM