• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookies for Ice Cream Sandwiches

Sethro

It's what the grocery store kind should taste like!  (but sadly, minus the cute dimples)

-snip-

4. Add the dry ingredients (flour thru baking soda) to egg mixture.  Gradually incorporate dry ingredients into wet.  Stir until the mixture is evenly moistened. Pour batter into prepared baking sheet and spread batter evenly in pan.

5.  Bake until the cookie springs back when touched with finger, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool in the pan on cooling rack 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the  baking sheet to loosen. Invert cookie onto work surface and peel off parchment. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

At this point, why don't you run a docker over the baked cookie? Voila! Dimples.

• 1 year later...

I used my favorite chocolate chip cookies (homemade) to make ice cream sandwiches. I froze them and tried to eat one and the cookies were like frozen bricks! What kind of cookie would work for ice cream sandwiches? Is it more of a cake-like cookie? Any tips would be greatly appreciated--especially specific recipes to try.

Thanks!

Edited by Aria B. (log)

Aria in Oregon

Instead of a cookie, how about a brownie!? Either spread them out thin on a sheet pan and bake, or bake at regular thickness, cut into larger suares and then cut in half, spread ice cream in the middle and freeze! Sounds good to me!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I'd use a cookie that favors brown sugar, liquid sugar (molasses, honey, lyle's, agave, glucose), alchohol, clarified butter, or liquid fats (oil). They shouldn't freeze that hard. In my experience, regular butter and cream cheese freeze hard in cookies -- I nearly broke teeth on frozen snickerdoodles and walnut cookies in ice cream sandwiches -- but as long as they're softened by other ingredients, they'll work.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes handy, but I know that that the molasses cookies in the Lucques cookbook worked really well for ice cream sandwiches when I replaced clarified butter and oil for the shortening (I just happen to not like shortening). Those were amazing with plum sorbet :biggrin:

These great praline ice cream sandwiches from Gourmet in June 2006 have a pecan praline cookie that works very well. There's a dozen or so in our freezer. Ignore the "This recipe is also delightfully devoid of fuss" line, btw, says the wife, who actually makes 'em.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'd use a cookie that favors brown sugar,  liquid sugar (molasses, honey, lyle's, agave, glucose), alchohol, clarified butter, or liquid fats (oil). They shouldn't freeze that hard.  In my experience, regular butter and cream cheese freeze hard in cookies --  I nearly broke teeth on frozen snickerdoodles and walnut cookies in ice cream sandwiches -- but as long as they're softened by other ingredients, they'll work.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes handy, but I know that that the molasses cookies in the Lucques cookbook worked really well for ice cream sandwiches when I replaced clarified butter and oil for the shortening (I just happen to not like shortening).  Those were amazing with plum sorbet  :biggrin:

I've made chocolate cookies with brown sugar and butter for ice cream sandwiches and have never had them freeze to hard. They spread very nicely when baked and produce a good thin cookie leaving plenty of room for the ice cream.

Thanks, Everyone. The cookies I used have butter in them as well as both brown and white sugar. They would be considered thicker and chewier than average I think for chocolate chip cookies. So I wonder if the cookies wouldn't freeze so hard if I used a thinner chocolate chip cookie recipe--like Dorie's or Nestle's maybe???

I'll have to try everyone's suggestions. Thanks again.

Aria in Oregon