• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Gordon Ramsay restaurant to choose

We have booked at table at GR's Savoy Grill during our upcoming trip to London.

I'm curious to hear feedback on the opinions from past dining experiences. The menu looks great.

Also, how it compares to his other restaurants. Some of them were booked, We had thought we liked GR's at the Claridge's.

It would be greatly appreciated if you can share your thoughts.

Edited by atlantadan (log)

Four of us had lunch in the Savoy Grill in November and although it was pleasant and enjoyable, certainly not sensational. I've eaten several times at GR in Chelsea and it was always exceptional. Maze is also excellent; a very different (and fun) proposition.

Mrs and Bernice,

Thanks for the input. Not knowing, I was wondering about the Marcus connection.

We're hoping we can get in at GR's on RHR, but we'll have to wait to see if anything opens up there or Maze etc. If not, we'll dine at the Savoy

Algy

No, that's one I didn't try. Will do tomorrow.

All of this is great input for our visit to London. It's helping us learn about GR's restaurants, so I really appreciate it

We also booked at table at the Greenhouse, and thinking about Tamarind before a night at the Theater

We had dinner recently at GR's operation in Claridge's and it was pretty good. Having said that, our own preference is for Michel Roux's place, Le Gavroche. Sensational food, best front of house service we've ever come across, and just sitting there watching the "performance" is as good as a seat at the theatre. The only downside is the cost, possibly even more than GR's places, but they also do a fantastic value lunch offer.

Well folks, with all your help so far, here are my choices.

Out of the options below, let me know your thoughts of which dinner at GR's would be the best (fyi, we are on a waiting list at RHR, which obviously is the first choice)

Either:

Savoy Grill (at the time we desire)

Claridge, but in a side/private dining room, ok time slot

Petrus but at 21:30

Maze at 21:30

Alan, thanks for the input on GR's. Michel Roux's place, Le Gavroche, was totally booked solid.

Edited by atlantadan (log)

Well folks, with all your help so far, here are my choices.

Out of the options below, let me know your thoughts of which dinner at GR's would be the best (fyi, we are on a waiting list at RHR, which obviously is the first choice)

Either:

Savoy Grill (at the time we desire)

Claridge, but in a side/private dining room, ok time slot

Petrus but at 21:30

Maze at 21:30

Alan, thanks for the input on GR's. Michel Roux's place, Le Gavroche, was totally booked solid.

Maze is great fun and interesting cuisine - check out the thread on the restaurant on the uk and ireland page, Petrus is a more serious affair and i have eaten there twice in the last three months and it was simply breathtaking - the best meals i have eaten thus far in the uk and i cannot recommend highly enough, Have fun! T

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man