• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adapting menus to changing eating habits

coquus

Do people really crave 10+ounces of beef anymore? 8+ ounces of fish? Do people want more veg on their plates? Do they want more starch? Less starch?

This thread is really about when you relatives tell you what is good for you. What you shouldbe serving your customers. You know the type, pretty much everyone you know who is remotely interested in what we do. What are they telling you, now?

What are you telling you now? How are we adapting to the problems we face as consumers? And what are some of these problems?

I am an American living in Europe. I get comments about my carbon footprint. Apparently my beef consumption is yet more damning evidence of America's lack of concern about global warming.

Hear, hear! My beef consumption has yet to gain me carbon footprint comments, but I don't live in Europe either. My family has pretty much gone veg since my mom got cancer last year, I'm holding out still, mainly because it's my job to eat everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this isn't the forum for this topic. According to the latest Weight Watchers magazine, in a poll of three hundred (American) chefs only one in five was able to correctly nail a serving (of starch, meat? I don't know it was just a blurb).

I don't know what the experts are saying, but as a consumer, I've found that US restaurants never ever serve enough vegetables with their meals. Unless you specifically request a side-order (which generally comes drenched in fatty, salty SOMETHING) or a salad (generally a 'bowl-o-lettuce' laden in dressing of some sort) you can expect to get meat and potatoes/starch and that's it. It's one of the things that puts me off going out to eat - I LIKE the taste of vegetables darnit, and I really really wish that that practice would change so I could get a BALANCED meal for my money!

Edited by Kajikit (log)

And as a frequent visitor the USA the one thing I would say is smaller portions and more veg (Even if this just an option) as I hate wasting food.

The more you pay the less food you get seems to be the unwritten rule in the USA.

And one other thing why do so many places cover salads in very heavy dressings and put a coating on fries - what's wrong with standard fried potatoes!

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

All of your posts seem to indicate that you eat at the same type of restaurants(I use that term loosely here), the chain places, and the more pedestrian ones at that. Step out of those ,and up your experience by discovering the smaller establishments that have a soul.

The impression of this thread is a bit different for me. (which may or may not be good or post worthy! :raz: )

Menus should be dynamic with what the consumer wants.

Sometimes menus will serve to teach, as in the last resto I worked. It was all about Brasilian culture, so it was for the adventurous (not horribly so, but you get the pic! right?) or the avid fan to enjoy. Not so much always tied to culture other than what that chef is set out to accomplish. Sample something new in pairings, texture or preparation. :smile:

Even the chains get this. For heaven sakes why on earth would McD's offer up, along with other unnamed fast food situations, the variety of salads?

The consumer has a voice. Speak up! Instruct the server that you'd wish to have less dressing or it on the side if in fear of over dressing. Advise that you'd prefer some freshly steamed veggies, without seasoning! Can the kitchen prepare a quick veg medley in place of the white rice? Do you have brown rice as an alternative?

See where this is going? Dining is an interactive and communcations challenge for an enjoyable and successful experience. A balancing act as well. As we all know that overbearing diner that we'd all love to show the way to the doorway.... :biggrin:

Hey! If you knew what you wanted and didn't get it! Too bad! A closed mouth doesn't get fed! And then to gripe about it after the fact is, well, lame. Do better next time, even if it isn't the same resto!

[/end of soap box]