• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi - Midtown East

jg488

I'm looking for a excellent sushi spot in Midtown on the east side. I'm planning a business lunch, and my standby, Sushi Yasuda, is fully booked.

We'll be expensing it, so cost isn't a big factor --- except that Kuruma Zushi is out of our range.

Any thoughts on Sushi Ann (E. 51st bet. Mad & Park) or Sushiden (E. 49th bet. 5th & Mad)? Or other ideas for top sushi in this neighborhood?

Thanks in advance,

JR

We like East Japanese Restaurant

253 W 55th St, New York - (212) 581-2240

And Japonica, 100 University Pl., New York, NY 10003 , between 12th and 13th Sts. 212-243-7752

Not terribly fancy schmancy. but really nice.

Susan

I was about to say Kuruma.

for quality sushi in midtown east after Yasuda and Kuruma? to my knowledge you're pretty much stuck with either Hatsuhana or Sushiden (its an outpost of a popular -- and large -- chain in Japan).

Well, after all, Yasuda and Kurumazushi are the best 2 in the city.

SushiAnn is not so good, they need to blow the dust off that place

For the best, authentic sushi, (hardly "stuck with" Nate!) I'd go with Sushiden. For a business lunch, they have tatami rooms too.

For a bit of the nouveau sushi, go to Sushi Seki, although it might be a little out of the way for you

Hatsuhana and Hatsuhana Park are also good and authentic and should be your backups...

Thanks for the replies. Luckily there was a last-minute cancellation at Yasuda, so we were able to go there. Delicious as always, although I was a bit let down sitting at a table as opposed to the sushi bar.

Any suggestions on how to make the most of a sushi meal at a table? I'm sure there's no substitute for getting it piece-by-piece from the sushi chef, but what about ordering several small courses of sushi, so that you don't have lots of pieces sitting on a platter waiting to be eaten?

Next time I can't get into Yasuda, I'll give Sushiden or one of the Hatsuhanas a try.

Finally, am I right in thinking that Kurumazushi is way more expensive than Yasuda?

Thanks for the replies.  Luckily there was a last-minute cancellation at Yasuda, so we were able to go there.  Delicious as always, although I was a bit let down sitting at a table as opposed to the sushi bar. 

Any suggestions on how to make the most of a sushi meal at a table?  I'm sure there's no substitute for getting it piece-by-piece from the sushi chef, but what about ordering several small courses of sushi, so that you don't have lots of pieces sitting on a platter waiting to be eaten?

I eat sushi at a table in Japan all the time - it's not like ALL sushiya only have 12 seats... I think the big difference between Japanese and American customers is that most Japanese know exactly what fish they like and want, having grown up with it -

If that's not you, then I'd say ask for an omakase platter, and be very specific about which fish you don't like or love, and then tell them which you LIKED of what you tried and re-order from there on. 8 pieces is a good number. If you have a few people, ask for a big variety instead of things like california rolls or tuna rolls that are thrown in there -

Finally, am I right in thinking that Kurumazushi is way more expensive than Yasuda?

Big time

If that's not you, then I'd say ask for an omakase platter, and be very specific about which fish you don't like or love, and then tell them which you LIKED of what you tried and re-order from there on. 8 pieces is a good number. If you have a few people, ask for a big variety instead of things like california rolls or tuna rolls that are thrown in there -

This is a great suggestion -- an 8-piece omakase order, then additional orders from there. This gives you the flexibility to steer the meal in different directions depending on what you enjoy, and avoids having a ton of sushi sitting there waiting to be eaten, with the fish drying out and the rice getting cold.

What exactly is aburiengawa? And where is a good place in NYC to get it?

Engawa = flounder fin. Aburi_anything means broiled, fired. Hence Aburiya Kinnosuke - Aburi(broiled)ya(shop) .

I'm not too fond of engawa as is, but if they have it, and they have a blowtorch (which many sushiya have now to do seared sushi), tell them to have a go at it. It melt the connective tissue and man is it ridiculously delicious. Other good fish to apply a blowtorch to: salmon, toro, kanpachi - anything that has a bit of fat in it

Engawa = flounder fin. Aburi_anything means broiled, fired. Hence Aburiya Kinnosuke - Aburi(broiled)ya(shop) .

I'm not too fond of engawa as is, but if they have it, and they have a blowtorch (which many sushiya have now to do seared sushi), tell them to have a go at it. It melt the connective tissue and man is it ridiculously delicious. Other good fish to apply a blowtorch to: salmon, toro, kanpachi - anything that has a bit of fat in it

Thanks for the explanation. What restaurant is the photo from? There's more going on there than some blowtorched fish. Is it some sort of mayo-based sauce?

Yeah I'm sorry I cheated - those photos are from Japan

Yeah the aburiengawa has some ikura and cream sauce on it - one of the others has cheese and mochi on it -

I think I last had an Aburiengawa at Shimizu.... or was it sushiseki... but I had to ask for it. I've never seen it on a menu in America