• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passionne

lcdm

My husband and I dined at Passionne last night (Walnut Street in Montclair).

We had a great meal. It’s a BYOB, and they had no problem with the request to decant two of the bottles of wine we brought.

Amuse Bouche – Tapenade in mini phyllo cups. Very good

Appetizers

My husband ordered Rillettes flavored with Pernod – very good

I ordered Foie Gras – It was cooked perfectly it came with grilled pineapple and duck carpaccio w/peppercorn foam, everything was excellent but I didn’t think the carpaccio went with the foie gras.

Main

Husband: Veal chop with ramps and leaks, he enjoyed it immensely (as did I)

Me: Pressed duck w/peppercorn sauce – also very good

Dessert:

Husband: Crepe w/peaches and strawberries & Chantilly cream & strawberry sorbet & vanilla ice cream – very good

Me: Plum Tart w/custard & goat cheese – OK a little too sweet for me

The chef sent out another dessert when he heard it was anniversary darkchocolate soufflé & black current sorbet – we both decided this was the winning dessert.

The check was presented with 2 mini madeleine’s.

We will definitely go back!!!

Lisa

I had dinner here a few months ago and didn't report but will after having seen this. The restaurant space is nice inside, very sedate and dark (though perhaps a bit too dark for my taste).

Our meal was very good though a few points:

-I don't need an amuse from every restaurant. If I'm at the Modern or at Daniel I want an amuse but not if it's a Thursday night and I'm at Passionne. I know it's a high-end restaurant but to me, the place does not merit an amuse. I can't remember what we had. To me a more casual welcome from the chef would be more appropriate and in tune with the restaurant space (immediate and more general)

-First Course: I had a very classic bistro salad with small pieces of escarole, lardons, blue cheese and croutons. It was perfectly dressed and seasoned and very balanced. It was presented in a nice, tight bundle on the plate and very nice. My cousin had a wild mushroom tart that was also delicious.

-Entree: I had the short ribs which came with delicious, creamy mashed potatoes. The ribs were tender and seasoned well but needed more sauce. My cousin had the lobster crepes which I think needed a creamier sauce. It seemed to thin to me and a bit dry overall.

-Dessert: Profiteroles. They were delicious!

My one real complaint about the place is that the service was so slow. I think we waited 10 minutes to get our profiteroles, and maybe longer. It was a Wednesday and we were 1 of 2 or 3 tables in there.

I will be back and if they improve their service then I think it will be a very welcome and needed addition to the area!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

A couple of comments:

I, too, have dined here recently and found the place very nice and food was excellent. I will return, and I found this to be one of the better choices in Northern NJ and highly recommend it.

As far as amuse, how does a place "merit" this? If they choose to serve one, and it is good, I will gladly enjoy it and find it quite acceptable from any restaurant.

Also, as far as timing: I found it refreshing and wonderful that the service was deliberate here. I absolutely despise restaurants that serve the next course at the moment you finish an earlier course. I want time in between, I want to savor what I've eaten, and I want to enjoy the dining experience. Bravo, Passionne, and please continue to take your time!

Great place, go!

Emily - sorry the service was not up to your expectation, I know how this can weigh on a good meal. Service was pretty transparent for us - meaning to say I did not notice any hovering or lag, as Menton1 described - deliberate. We even asked to be given a little more time between dinner and dessert so that we could finish up our bottle of wine (which was not a problem). We sent some wine back to the kitchen and the chef came out at the end of our meal to thank us.

Paul - I'll have to ask my husband, I can't remember exactly what we had.

Well I don't want one course after the other either but the service was not just relaxed and well-timed it was too slow and uneven. We did wait a bit too long at the end of our meal for our dessert. I had the feeling that they had already started to close up shop...

And as far as restaurants meriting an amuse. I guess I was thinking as much about the amuse we had at Fascino when I made this comment. It was some hot zucchini soup in a shot glass next to a piece of too-crunchy Italian bread with a plop of olive tapenade on it. With some micro greens thrown on top. It didn't do a thing to enhance my meal but is more, in my opinion, given to suggest that I am dining at a "fancy" restaurant. To me it said: We have to do an amuse tonight. What do we have. That is the same feeling I got at Passionne with the amuse. NOT with the rest of my meal, let me say again!

All that said, I really liked both restaurants and will be back, but there are a few things about both that I'd prefer to do without!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Lisa,

Sounds good. What wines did you bring to match the menu?

Paul

Starters: 1985 Robert Ampeau Meursault

Dinner: 1998 Domaine Coste Caumartin Pommard les vignots

Dessert: Keller Beerenauslese Cuvee Pius

please forgive any spelling errors

Sorry, but I have a very hard time seeing how 10 minutes is too long to wait for a dessert. That actually seems about right to me, especially in a restaurant that considers itself fine dining. Much quicker and I would feel like the restaurant is rushing me out the door.

Lisa, thanks. The Ampeau would have been a very nice match for the duck I think.

Yes, it was my favorite wine of the night it would have crossed over nicely from starter to the main. The Pommard was a little tight/tanic for me (and I usually perfer reds). My husband and the chef (as I said we sent wine back to the kitchen) enjoyed the Pommard the most, all 3 were fabulous.

Emily - You don't have to back down, that was your experience, and I'm glad you posted it. That's what makes this message board great!

Edited by lcdm (log)