• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poaching Eggs in the Microwave

steverino

Two points to make- if the poacher doesn't have a cover, slip some plastic wrap over the egg; if you grease the cup, including the edges, the egg will slip right out 100% of the time, perfectly.

Two very important points, and ones I live by.

I used to do a kind of coddled egg in the microwave: Butter ramekin, add egg, pierce yolk, sprinkle with herbs, top with a tablespoon of cream. Cover with wrap, nuke. They were just amazingly good.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You can make oatmeal in your microwave?!

Funny, about 90% of Australians cook oatmeal (more commonly called porridge here) in the microwave...

Put in bowl with milk, microwave for a few minutes, take out, stir, put back in microwave for a few minutes, remove and sprinkle with some brown sugar/golden syrup/maple syrup/honey and stir in some more milk or cream.

Edited by infernooo (log)

Tried this the other day. Used a custard cup and covered the egg in water. I am having a time getting the timing or heat setting down to get a runny yolk. 1 min on high and the yolk blows. Tried 70% and 60% powers for less than a minute and get over cooked yolks and runny on the bottom whites. I must admit the shape is a nice perfect round. This will take some time to get right in my oven.

Hi

Along the same lines I often make scrambled eggs in the micro, I get loads of butter really hot then add the egg mixture and cook in 20 second intervals, mixing between each interval until the eggs are cooked but slightly runny take them out mix them agin let them rest for a few minutes(long enough to butter my toast) and voila perfect scrambled eggs

Greg :raz:

OOH, butter poached eggs in less than a minute. Butter is truly a wonderfood.