• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I would like some ice cream, please

mzrb

The hot, sunny weather of today has reminded me of one of my great living-in-Montclair laments...no decent ice cream. I know there are people out there who think Holsten's or Applegate is just the best thing since, well, ice cream, but I don't. I think I can get a better quality ice cream from Breyer's, to be honest....

So maybe someone out there knows of a reasonable ice cream place. Sure, in my dreams it's all homemade and natural and seasonal, but I am a realist...And would love to know where people go 'round here to satisfy their ice cream cravings.

And after my snobby little comment about Holsten's/Applegate, I will qualify my request and say if anyone knows of a good soft-serve experience 'round here, well, I do have the kid-in-me-summer-time side of my palate to satisfy as well.

I am looking forward to your answers!! So are my kids!

Denville Dairy!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz...he said Montclair!!  :wacko:

SHE said!!!! (but thanks for defending my need for ice cream in a nearby venue!) (and if i ever get to denville, i know what to do!)

The absolute best ice cream parlor in the Montclair is Holsten's on Broad St. in Bloomfield. There is just no other place in the area that is remotely on the same level. What they lack in variety of flavors, they more than make up for in the quality of their homemade product.

Holsten's is on Broad St. in Montclair, just off the south west corner of Broad St. and Watchung Ave.

I can no longer recommend Applegate Farms on Grove St. as the quality of their product has diminished in recent years. I have no doubt this is due to the mass production of their product for distribution in grocery stores.

Edit: Having gone back and reread your original post, I can't believe you would knock Holsten's. To say that you could get better ice cream from Breyer's is an insult. You're not really looking for quality ice cream, but rather a place to take your kids.

For you, I'd recommend Magic Fountain or Carvel.

Perhaps you'd like to take a ride over to Essex Green in West Orange and hit up Cold Stone Creamery.

Not since Grunnings went out of business long ago has there been a top quality ice cream parlor in the area, but Holsten's comes the closest to any in the area that I've tried.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The absolute best ice cream parlor in the Montclair is Holsten's on Broad St. in Bloomfield.  There is just no other place in the area that is remotely on the same level.  What they lack in variety of flavors, they more than make up for in the quality of their homemade product.

Holsten's is on Broad St. in Montclair, just off the south west corner of Broad St. and Watchung Ave.

I can no longer recommend Applegate Farms on Grove St. as the quality of their product has diminished in recent years.  I have no doubt this is due to the mass production of their product for distribution in grocery stores.

Edit:  Having gone back and reread your original post, I can't believe you would knock Holsten's.  To say that you could get better ice cream from Breyer's is an insult.  You're not really looking for quality ice cream, but rather a place to take your kids.

Perhaps you'd like to take a ride over to Essex Green in West Orange and hit up Cold Stone Creamery.

Not since Grunnings went out of business long ago has there been a top quality ice cream parlor in the area, but Holsten's comes the closest to any in the area that I've tried.

Hey there! We're talking about ice cream here...and I just happen not to love Holsten's. I found there sauces to be really corn syrup-y, etc and the chocolate chunks weren't the good melting kind. (To be honest, Breyer's has the WORST chocolate chunks, so you got me there). Anyway, Breyer's makes a nice vanilla. No need to try to insult me with talk of Magic Fountain or Carvel. And certainly not Cold Stone. or Cold Cash creamery as we call it. I cannot abide the place.

And, while we're talking: Gruning's was one of my favorites growing up. I still dream of the toasted pound cake sundaes with their stellar hot fudge sauce.

The absolute best ice cream parlor in the Montclair is Holsten's on Broad St. in Bloomfield.  There is just no other place in the area that is remotely on the same level.  What they lack in variety of flavors, they more than make up for in the quality of their homemade product.

I can no longer recommend Applegate Farms on Grove St. as the quality of their product has diminished in recent years.  I have no doubt this is due to the mass production of their product for distribution in grocery stores.

Edit:  Having gone back and reread your original post, I can't believe you would knock Holsten's.  To say that you could get better ice cream from Breyer's is an insult.  You're not really looking for quality ice cream, but rather a place to take your kids.

Hey there! We're talking about ice cream here...and I just happen not to love Holsten's. I found there sauces to be really corn syrup-y, etc and the chocolate chunks weren't the good melting kind. (To be honest, Breyer's has the WORST chocolate chunks, so you got me there). Anyway, Breyer's makes a nice vanilla. No need to try to insult me with talk of Magic Fountain or Carvel. And certainly not Cold Stone. or Cold Cash creamery as we call it. I cannot abide the place.

And, while we're talking: Gruning's was one of my favorites growing up. I still dream of the toasted pound cake sundaes with their stellar hot fudge sauce.

What can I say? I have a passion for ice cream! :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Whats Magic Fountain?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Is there still a place in Clifton called "The Farm" or something similar to that? Some of the great memories of my childhood involved hot summer nights and long walks to "The Faaahhhm," as my Massachusetts-born grandma would call it. Where I lived, out in the Maryland 'burbs there was no such place, and it was considered a highlight of summer vacation.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Busboy, you MIGHT be thinking of the aforementioned Applegate Farm, which is (still) on Grove Street in Montclair...huge red barns...and it's right on the border of Montclair and Clifton. Could that be it?

In other news, we could really use your D.C. input and knowledge on this thread... :wink:

And Cook, I just can't help but mention Denville Dairy in any north Jersey ice cream discussion! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Busboy, you MIGHT be thinking of the aforementioned Applegate Farm, which is (still) on Grove Street in Montclair...huge red barns...and it's right on the border of Montclair and Clifton.  Could that be it?

In other news, we could really use your D.C. input and knowledge on this thread...  :wink:

And Cook, I just can't help but mention Denville Dairy in any north Jersey ice cream discussion!  :smile:

Now you've whetted my appetite.. Tell me more about the Denville Dairy already! Stop teasing me!

I'll say up front that I'm not an ice cream expert, but when it comes to food, I generally know good stuff :raz: ...

Denville Dairy is partially my favorite because I grew up going there (when it was a tiny, free-standing, walk-up only shop) with our (big) dog riding on the boot of the convertible. And partially because I just love their ice cream! It's all handmade on the premises; the same family has owned the place for at least 25-30 years (just saw the website--it's 40) that I've been going, and while they have a ton of flavors, they've stuck to essentially the same ones. You won't find basil/saffron gelato here, but then again, you don't always want that ('tho I actually DO love both)!

I tend to get hard ice cream (black raspberry is a ripple through vanilla; coffee almond fudge is also a major favorite), but their soft serve is also excellent. Their cakes are great! The crunchies in their cakes are awesome. Their hot fudge is as well. Portions are huge, so you should definitely take note of what people order and then see what they look like. Dogs are welcome (outside) and the place is always packed in the evenings, but I will say that they know how to move it along. Go. Take a number (inside) and stand around while neighbors and kids catch up. Once you get your ice cream, sit on a bench out front, or walk around and look in the windows of the (mostly) mom 'n pop stores in Denville. It's very small-town in a lot of ways. Maybe that's what I like about it, too...but the ice cream is THE reason to go. :wub:

34A Broadway

Denville NJ

973-627-4214

Sun-Thurs 11am-9:30pm

Fri-Sat 11am-10pm

DD's very basic website

Busboy, you MIGHT be thinking of the aforementioned Applegate Farm, which is (still) on Grove Street in Montclair...huge red barns...and it's right on the border of Montclair and Clifton.  Could that be it?

In other news, we could really use your D.C. input and knowledge on this thread...  :wink:

And Cook, I just can't help but mention Denville Dairy in any north Jersey ice cream discussion!  :smile:

That could be it. Even if the ice cream isn't as good as I remember, please don't tell me!

I will weigh in on the other thread after lunch.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'll say up front that I'm not an ice cream expert, but when it comes to food, I generally know good stuff  :raz: ... 

Denville Dairy is partially my favorite because I grew up going there (when it was a tiny, free-standing, walk-up only shop) with our (big) dog riding on the boot of the convertible.  And partially because I just love their ice cream!  It's all handmade on the premises; the same family has owned the place for at least 25-30 years (just saw the website--it's 40) that I've been going, and while they have a ton of flavors, they've stuck to essentially the same ones.  You won't find basil/saffron gelato here, but then again, you don't always want that ('tho I actually DO love both)!

I tend to get hard ice cream (black raspberry is a ripple through vanilla; coffee almond fudge is also a major favorite), but their soft serve is also excellent.  Their cakes are great!  The crunchies in their cakes are awesome.  Their hot fudge is as well.  Portions are huge, so you should definitely take note of what people order and then see what they look like.  Dogs are welcome (outside) and the place is always packed in the evenings, but I will say that they know how to move it along.  Go.  Take a number (inside) and stand around while neighbors and kids catch up.  Once you get your ice cream, sit on a bench out front, or walk around and look in the windows of the (mostly) mom 'n pop stores in Denville.  It's very small-town in a lot of ways.  Maybe that's what I like about it, too...but the ice cream is THE reason to go.  :wub:

34A Broadway

Denville NJ

973-627-4214

Sun-Thurs  11am-9:30pm

Fri-Sat 11am-10pm

DD's very basic website

I feel I am in a safe place! Able to talk about ice cream so soon after breakfast; and I know none of you would flinch if I told you that I wanted to eat ice cream right now, instead of lunch. If I didn't need to be at a meeting this afternoon, I would be mapquesting my way to Denville. Thanks for the write-up.

Whats Magic Fountain?

There is a Magic Fountain on Broad St in Bloomfield across the street from the Nevada Diner. This is one in a chain of several, though I'm not sure how many are in the chain or if they all fall under the same umbrella. They operate along the same lines as a Dairy Queen with mass produced soft serve ice cream.

Nothing special, but not worst ever. Just a dime-a-dozen.

As for Denville Dairy, I really wish I'd tried it. I used to work in an office right down the street from there, but I only worked there for a week or two, and it was in Feb or March--not quite yet ice cream season. I don't even think I had a chance to explore that far down the street yet!

Perhaps I'll have dinner at Hunan Taste one of these days and follow it up with some Denville Dairy for dessert.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Curlz,

I just had to tease you!!

I also love Denville Dairy, but have not had it in years.. Guess that means a trip!!!

I have to echo Curlz' recommendation of Denville Dairy. I also grew up in that area, and still visit the store whenever I can while seeing family! Thankfully, my nieces and nephew are willing accomplices to my escapes from family gatherings.

Its also nice to see that this business has stayed in the family, and continues to do well.

Casey

I love Holsten's. It's a throwback in time, and should be preserved as a kind of landmark (besides the whole Sopranos connection). Besides the ice cream, there's candy, too.

The food is very, very basic....burgers, sandwiches. Very simple, and the prices are right. My husband was euphoric when I took him there, waxing rhapsodic about similar places from his childhood in Jersey City.

I thought Holsten's was a fun place to take my niece for a sundae at the counter, but didn't think much of the food or the ice cream. But what do I know?

I did take a friend to Denville Dairy yesterday, as we were out that way. I finally settled on a small cup of Oreo Cream with hot fudge. She went with the chocolate chocolate chip. (Did I mention she's not only a chocoholic, but also a chocolatier?) She declared it "Fabulous--it's not overly sweet at all!" and I have to concur. The small cups are ridiculously large.

I'll admit that I was a tad dismayed at DD to see a lot of what I think of as overdone flavors--a bananaramadingdong or something, a caramel waffle flavor that was, iirc, caramel ice cream w/a caramel thread running through it, with caramel-covered something AND choc-covered waffle pieces in it. I hope DD doesn't fully turn in to one of those places, as they do the 'basic' flavors SO well!

Speaking of Holsten's, according to last nights Soprano's episode, they have the best onion rings.... anyone ever try anything other than ice cream here?