• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long to keep frozen cryovaced meat

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

I have 2 packages of frozen cryovacked (does the K belong there grammatically?) cooked lobster tails. I have had them for 4 years. They have NO visible freezer damage. Are they still safe?

Most websites that I checked indicate that frozen shellfish can be kept for about 6 months.

Personally, I'd feel comfortable pushing that by a few months, but not 4 years.

In what way wouldn't they be "safe"? They might not be good, but something kept at 5 degrees F should be "safe" pretty much until the end of time, I'd think.

Most sources I've seen (like this one say something like "Frozen foods remain safe indefinitely; storage recommendations are for quality only."

Clearly, after 4 years there is likely to be some decline in quality (although at "deep freeze" temperatures, I'm not sure this would be true).

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

I have 2 packages of frozen cryovacked (does the K belong there grammatically?) cooked lobster tails. I have had them for 4 years. They have NO visible freezer damage. Are they still safe?

Quality might suffer, but as slkinsey points out, they're safe - if and only if they've been stored below 5 deg. F (or 0 deg. F according to the linked source). If you've had any long power outages that might have exposed the meat to higher temperatures, there's a chance for bacterial growth.

Personally, I'd use them - but expect a noticeable decline in flavor since the original packing.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

My mom use to be a compulsive buyer and we had two freezers in the garage growing up that were full of meats and all sorts of things. It was not unusual for her to have kosher chickens that were several years old. I can assure you that it is safe. I'm sure it has acquired at least some freezer taste if not burn. I say defrost it and smell it. What do you have to lose.

I'd imagine that if the taste isn't compromised, the texture probably will be, but, depending on how you're going to use it, who knows.

I'd give it a test before just pitching. But, remember one thing about the deep freeze. It is not a safe deposit box.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

But, remember one thing about the deep freeze.  It is not a safe deposit box.

Why not? I thought stacks of bills kept better in the freezer than the mattress. :laugh:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

at the very least if it doesnt smell funky you mix it with some fresh tomatoes, cream and herbs and toss over pasta...that would cover some "textural difficulties"

and sounds damn tasty too

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association