• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Calipoutine - Sparsley Settled Spaces w/ Hungry Faces

Really admire you for doing this with your busy schedule. The double fiber bread looks interesting on your sandwich. How many grams fiber per slice and does it taste good? It looks good. When I loose an asparagus spear or something like it on the grill I usually create a mess and try to retrieve it, resulting in something else falling in. You showed great restraint! I love the potatoes. Are they skewered onto a piece of metal so they have internal heat as well? I have never seen that- cool.

Really admire you for doing this with your busy schedule. The double fiber bread looks interesting on your sandwich. How many grams fiber per slice and does it taste good? It looks good.  When I loose an asparagus spear or something like it on the grill I usually create a mess and try to retrieve it, resulting in something else falling in. You showed great restraint!  I love the potatoes. Are they skewered onto a piece of metal so they have internal heat as well? I have never seen that- cool.

Thanks for commenting. Each slice of bread has90 calories, 4 grams of fiber and 18 grams of carbs. It wasnt too bad. I usually make my own bread, but I didnt really have time this week. I bought the potato cooker thingy at TJ Maxx. Its supposed to cook them faster. Its made especially for the BBQ. It was 3.99. It seemed to work well, although I nuked them for a few minutes before I threw them on the grill.

Schedule wise, today wasnt too bad. The real fun starts tomorrow. I'll be working non-stop until next Sunday.

I'm reading, I always read'em, I've read all three of yours, in fact. I'm just sparse with the commentary. I'm interested to see how the cake goes, and how the weekend unfolds :)

oh my......

I am reading too!! As I always do from a safe and lurky sort of distance. I always LOVE these weeks with you brave bloggers and wonder if any week in my life could ever pass muster :huh:

thanks for sharing!

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Dinner:

Pork tenderloin, baked spuds( I made an extra one so Robin can make home fries for breakfast) and asparagus.  I only lost one.

gallery_31539_1218_450258.jpg

Maybe it's the late hour at which I'm reading this, but this photo showing the poor lost little asparagus down below the grate really cracked me up. :biggrin:

I'm reading too!!!

Just haven't replied or commented yet but these asparagus-though-the-grill commentaries are cracking me up. :biggrin: LOL

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Randi, great to see you blogging again! Boy you do have a busy life!

I read your blog while having breakfast this morning, then went shopping and came home with.. pork and green asparagus! I guess your dinner was still on my mind and guiding my unconscious while I was shopping :laugh:

Dinner:

Pork tenderloin, baked spuds( I made an extra one so Robin can make home fries for breakfast) and asparagus.  I only lost one.

gallery_31539_1218_450258.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_10167.jpg

Home fries from baked potatoes? Do tell me more!

I've usually either parboiled the potatoes, then shredded them, or sliced raw potatoes and onions thinly, then tossed the potatoes into a pan with about a tablespoon of oil.

How do you proceed from the baked potato to home fries? I think I'd like to try this.

oh my......

I am reading too!!    As I always do from a safe and lurky sort of distance.  I always LOVE these weeks with you brave bloggers and wonder if any week in my life could ever pass muster    :huh:

thanks for sharing!

If I can do it, so can you! Your week is what it is. You're just sharing it with the rest of us. Though some of us try to add something special to our routine, it's not necessary at all. One of the finest blogs I've read was Lori in PA's week with her children; all she did that week was what she usually does (well, that plus a dinner near Gettysburg).

Randi,

Thanks for blogging!  I love seeing the PC products in your blog -- finally products I can find in these neck of the woods.

I'm telling you, I'm fed up with all this PC stuff!

:blush: Oops! You're talking about President's Choice products! I don't know whether they're carried in any US supermarkets anymore; Acme Markets in the Philadelphia area had the line before Albertson's acquired the chain. My recollection was that the line was of very high quality.

There was a thread that ran for quite a while in which eGulleteers confessed their love of store brand products and shared their tips on which ones truly offered you better quality for less. I can't seem to unearth it with the eG search engine. I'm pretty sure there were several paeans to PC posted in it.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Cali -- I'm reading. I love your blogs and haven't replied because I'm stressing out on your behalf, because it doesn't seem like you are. Plus, okay, I"m kind of intimidated by you.

Today in the Yahoo! feed: "The No Asparagus Left Behind Act and The Story of One Who Was."

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I love the potatoes. Are they skewered onto a piece of metal so they have internal heat as well? I have never seen that- cool.

An old "Bull Cook" trick was to skewer each potatoe lengthwise with a carpenters nail!

SB (use a 20 penney nail for a 4 inch spud :wink: )

I'm reading, too...I was hoping to read more on your cooking for senior citizens adventure since I read your specific thread on that endeavor. Didn't that start as a twice-a-month gig?

In any case, any blog that features Canadian milk-in-a-bag is always going to make me happy--a nice picture from my past!

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by sadie_siamesecat (log)

Me, too. I don't post very often, but I always enjoy reading your stories. Keep up the good work!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I'm reading too. I love your blogs and your insight into "small town Ontario". I grew up in a succession of small towns and villages in ON. Now I live half the year in the Toronto area and half in the small town of Gravenhurst (well really outside town on the Severn river).

I find it fascinating how much you still shop for groceries in the States.