• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fake wedding cake

Mr. Delicious

I decorate cheesecakes for weddings, this girl wants one that is just a small 7" for decoration, on top of a 9" and 12" that is fake, I am not sure what to use, I dont know what fondont will stick to. Will fondont stick to foam or is there something else I should use. To top it off its June 23 and she called me June 6. Any advice?

I've always used craft styrofoam.....you can find rounds of all sizes at craft stores like Michael's. You can make the fondant stick to it by lightly wetting the back of the fondant before you lay it on. But I never do that. Once the fondant is formed to the styrofoam, it doesn't slip, and by not actually sticking the fondant to the styrofoam, you can easily remove the fondant to re-use the styrofoam again and again.

Charge the same though. It's just as much labor and expertise.

Consider sanding/trimming the top edge so it's not as sharp to cut the fondant.

These are also called dummy cakes and can be purchased at cake deco stores & online too.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I order cake dummies from www.dallasfoamonline.com because they are CHEAP and provide great customer service.

The fondant will stick to the dummy if you spray a little water on there, some people use piping gel, I'm not one of them however.