• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chuckanut Drive

Hi there,

Planning on a cruise down the Drive soon, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a place to stop and nosh, preferably with seafood. Is the Oyster Creek Inn still the best bet?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

PS - I did a search and nothing came up, which surprised me, since this is apparently a popular area for fresh seafood. Maybe I did something wrong....?

Never been to the Oyster Creek Inn, but have had a couple good lunches at The Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You can stop at Taylor Shellfish and grab a number of great things, then drive into Edison. There's a small shop there called Slough Foods, run by John DeGloria that specializes in cheese, cured meats, eclectic wines, incredible chocolate, and a few other gourmet necessities. There's also a great bakery next door, The Bread Farm. You'll eat much better at these two places than you would at one of the more touristy restaurants.

Hmmm. Sounds interesting, but I'd have to cook that stuff myself.

I did worry about the touristy aspect of the drive, which is why I was trying to juggle early warm weather and the onslaught of high season. Plus, the Canuck buck is such that I can finally afford a trip down there. Is the Oyster Bar really that tacky? The views look awfully nice....

The Oyster Bar maybe be a little dated, but I wouldn't say its tacky and its too expensive to be 'touristy' in the true sense of the word.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946