• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food photographers and stylists

hathor

I've got a preview of new work up: The New HARLANTURK.COM

My two favorite photographs on your site are the empty dinner table and the menu board (not the hand-written one), Michael.

There's such a hint of time being suspended in the blink of the camera's eye, with a subtle sense of almost-foreboding but not exactly . . . just a mystery of darkness that lurks behind the scene, a drama of huge proportions that mere humans might not have the ability to discern as they look in their usual way, with their usual sort of eyes.

Sparks of memories of the great old still film-makers seem to lie in these photographs, where the image was primal, huge and all-engrossing to the point of exclusion of sound by requirement. And a touch of bete-noir but with a seething elegance rather than dirt-encrusted nails.

Not just images but entire stories in the composition. Not a bite but a tale. Wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got a preview of new work up: The New HARLANTURK.COM

My two favorite photographs on your site are the empty dinner table and the menu board (not the hand-written one), Michael.

There's such a hint of time being suspended in the blink of the camera's eye, with a subtle sense of almost-foreboding but not exactly . . . just a mystery of darkness that lurks behind the scene, a drama of huge proportions that mere humans might not have the ability to discern as they look in their usual way, with their usual sort of eyes.

Sparks of memories of the great old still film-makers seem to lie in these photographs, where the image was primal, huge and all-engrossing to the point of exclusion of sound by requirement. And a touch of bete-noir but with a seething elegance rather than dirt-encrusted nails.

Not just images but entire stories in the composition. Not a bite but a tale. Wonderful.

I appreciate the compliments. More to come, keep in touch.

PLOG

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com