• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where to get bone marrow?

WiscoNole

It can be hard to find. You will have to ask, and it will come in the form of marrow bones. I get mine from a meat market out here that's very 'country'. It's a place where you can buy sides of beef, have them process venison, and get oxtails and beef hearts (and tongues!). If you have any places similar to that by you, that's probably where I'd call first.

-- Mike

When I buy a packet of "beef soup bones" for 59 cents or so a pound, it is usually half marrow bones and the rest ball joints or odd bone cuts.This is from either the chain large supermarket (Safeway and its progeny) or the Chinese market. I sort of move the bag around to survey the contents, and pick the one with the prettiest uniform bones. At home, I use the full of marrow ones for human treats, and the non-marrow ones for stock and then the dog.

If I'm planning on cooking with marrow I just ask my butcher a few days in advance for "marrow bone".

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Any italian butcher should keep the marrow bones because it is an ingrediant in some risottos (Milenese has some). Around here, all the butchers keep the marrow bones as they are quite valuable (around 3$ a kilo). I often cheap osso bucco with veal blade roast and osso bucco like marrow bones.

One needs to able to split the long bones and the option is to have you butcher saw the long way or split with a 'Bone Splitter'. Due to the risk, most butchers will not saw the long way so this is the tool to have http://www.wusthof.com/EN/database2.asp?p=Bone%20splitter . I have the 12" and it is quite a beast. A sure steady hand and a good eye are needed or you can lose a digit or quite possibly an arm. You also have to live with bone splinters flying in your kitchen. Bone will split/crack on the long axis whan the correct blow is struck, not for the faint of heart.-Dick

At my local supermarket, they are often under the label of "dog bones" or "soup bones" and if there are any other kinds of bones in there, they're usually happy to repackage them for me so I only get the marrow bones.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I sell them - so I'd suggest an ethnic (Jewish or European) store. And as others have suggested, just ask a butcher. Even if they're not on display, they shouldn't have a problem getting them for you.

Anyone got pics of bone marrow? I'm ashamed to say that I don't really know what it looks like...

I made some pork ribs last night and the end of the bones were slightly soft and chewy so I hate the end 1/4 half of the bones... but the stuff inside definitely wasn't scoopable, it was more brown and grainy like soft brown bone or something....

I get them at my local butcher. They usually have them in bags in the freezer or in the back. The trick is to make sure they're the middle shin bones, so you want pieces that are relatively straight. If they're too curved or bumpy they're probably end pieces which won't work.

I just have my butcher slice them into 2-3 inch pieces, and I roast them at 425 for 20 minutes or so.

Edited by Hest88 (log)