• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue / BBQ / Bar-B-Q books

macrosan

I just received the seven fires book and had a chance to page through it. It's an amazing book and will quite likely become my go to bbq/cooking with fire book from now on. I also got the Dinosaur book, which is as good as people say here, but the Seven Fires takes things to an other level. Not always an easy to follow level, if my wife had a clue what ideas of fire contraptions are brewing in my mind she'd probably fire me, LOL, but really, amazing recipes and a gorgeous book with wonderful pictures of Patagonia, which I always considered as one of the less nice to live at places, but the pictures and recipes make me want to pack a bag and go.

It was just released yesterday, you might find it at your local mega store soon, but if you're into fire and meat of any kind of animal, just order it, I doubt you'll regret. I think they tried most recipes on a regular charcoal grill so you won't have to build a two story fire contraption anytime soon (though you might look at items in the hardware store a whole different way....) and everything I looked at and read looks like something I want to try and would like to eat right now. Outstanding book!

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I just placed an order for BBQ bible, Seven Fires and Serious BBQ. I will keep an eye for other books, particularly Mayan Cuisine, at my local bookstore but these three books should be enough for the summer. I will try yo remember to report back.

If there is anything better than cooking for your friends and family, its cooking for your friends and family outdoor!

I am in the process of buying myself a new BBQ and feel it is time to learn a bit more about grilling and smoking. I am looking for a book (or a few) covereing most major BBQ traditions around the world and offering a good number of recipes using a variety of ingredient (e.g. not just beef and pork).

Reading this topic, it appears that many appreciate Steven Raichlen and that the BBQ Bible might be a good place to start.

I would love to find a book that covers things like kalbi, grilled octopus, cochonita pibil and a number of seafood and veggie ideas. Would Raichlen's book fit the bill? Are there other options available?

If you want a good grill, I recommend Weber's Performer grill. I have one and it is amazing. It is a charcoal grill with a propane starter. Mine is 9 years old and shows little to no wear.

Cookbook wise, I want to throw in Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes by Jim Tarantino. Its not directly related, but has lots of grill friendly recipes.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 7 years later...

Reviving the thread to share an intriguing book I'd like to have, but have not read.

Here's a review for "The One True Barbecue" by Rien Fertel from our local TV station's website. We have a tradition in NC of "pig pickin's" where a whole hog is split and cooked over coals for many hours. Some of you who attended or read about Raleigh, NC inactive member @Varmint's pig pickin's here and here may be familiar with that. My sister had one for her wedding feast. (No alcohol allowed, which is right unusual for pig pickin's.)

I was hoping the author was a North Carolina son, but he's from Louisiana, where I have people too, so all is good. :)

Here's a link if you are interested in getting a signed and personalized copy from The Garden District Book Shop in New Orleans. As you'll find in the link, apparently, you have to call them. They have a web site, and when it first comes up, before you click into it, on Google, this appears: "If you are unable to attend [a book signing?], you must call the book shop to order signed books." Here's a link to the web site. I could not find their address or phone on the site, but here it is from Yelp: " (504) 895-2266 · 2727 Prytania St New Orleans, LA 70130 "

> ^ . . ^ <

11 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Reviving the thread to share an intriguing book I'd like to have, but have not read.

Here's a review for "The One True Barbecue" by Rien Fertel from our local TV station's website.

Thanks for mentioning this, @Thanks for the Crepes.  I recall seeing it recommended in a Serious Eats note last month.  

Regardless of the author's credentials, I'm usually wary of any food book or article that starts off proclaiming, "The One True....." but this sounds like it would be a good read for anyone interested in food culture, even those like me who have no intention of ever cooking a whole hog!

I will check my library to see if they get it.

Here's an eG-friendly Amazon link for anyone interested in ordering by that route:  "The One True Barbecue: Fire, Smoke, and the Pitmasters Who Cook the Whole Hog"

• Like 1