• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaffir Lime Leaves

What can I substitute for Kaffir Lime Leaves? Or is there anywhere in the Philly area that I can get them?

I can't think of a substitute, but if you can find them fresh, remember that you can freeze them. Still much better than dried kaffir lime leaves.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Now tell me, Ive seen what Kaffir Leaves look like and they look like 2 leaves end to end. Is that two leaves or does it count as one?

Two.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi,

What can I substitute for Kaffir Lime Leaves? Or is there anywhere in the Philly area that I can get them?

There is (or was 3 years ago) a small Thai grocer on Locust St just past 43rd street across from CVS. This is near the University of Pennsylvania.

Here's a linked map: P P Grocery

Edited by Dan- (log)

Hi,

There is (or was 3 years ago) a small Thai grocer on Locust St just past 43rd street across from CVS. This is near the University of Pennsylvania.

Here's a linked map: P P Grocery

Ooohh Cool! Thanks. Ill go to Maido today too

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

If you get really obsessed with kaffir limes and want to start using the zest from the fruit in addition to the leaves, Four Winds Growers sells really healthy trees grafted onto dwarf rootstock. My tree is 4 years old now and doing great. It lives outside in the summer and under a gro-light indoors in the winter. I have more limes then I know what to do with, so I give them away... As a bonus, the blooms smell really good too.

regards,

trillium

• 7 months later...
Oh and there really isnt a substitute for Kaffir, its so unique.

I agree.

If you can get the kaffir lime itself, try to grow it in a pot. It's easy and hardy.

You can use the lime when making many Thai dishes, especially the Tom Yum and salads. Yummyumm!