• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Atkins Diet Topic

circeplum

I'm back on as of 3 days ago...so far, so good.  Last night had brined, roasted chicken for dinner along with some steamed broccoli from our local farmers' market (dotted with some bits of semi-melted plugra :smile:).

Today for lunch, some dry-rub ribs (leftover from the weekend) and a small caesar salad.

Tonight, I'll probably go with some canned Italian tuna packed in Olive Oil and maybe a few pieces of Nueske Smoked Bacon.

The hardest part is the sweets (or lack thereof)...had an Atkins Advantage peanut butter bar last night for dessert.  A relatively weak consolation prize for being good, to say the least.

=R=

Yeah, the Advantage bars are disgusting, but the Endulge bars are pretty good, and Russell Stover's new line of low-carb chocolates is even better. But frankly, if you can cook even halfway decently, you can make your own low-carb sweets, and not deal with all the trans-fats and other goodies that show up in the processed stuff.

FWIW, breakfast for me was some stewed rhubarb and ricotta cheese, lunch was sliced chicken and artichoke hearts with a lemon mayo, and dinner was steak and a salad. Works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright.. I am feeling very inspired.. Hubby and I started our own little version of Atkins. He -- in four weeks has lost 20 pounds -- lots of exercise.. and in 1 1/2 weeks I have lost 7 pounds

We are learning to control carbs, drink lots of water and exercise.. I know it sounds like a lot of common sense stuff.. but it is working

I am having a lot of trouble with breakfast time though.. I hate eating eggs or any protien at 7:30 in the morning.. would love some suggestions

What tips can you all give us to help us along here...

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

first off congratulations on losing the pounds! good for you.

my tips are as follows:

- eat several small meals during the day - the best method i've ever followed (shared with me by a competitive female bodybuilder) is eat around the clock - 6am-9am-12pm-3pm-6pm-9pm. you can tailor this to whatever your schedule may be.

- obviously doing this you don't want to have big big meals - here is my meal 1 and meal 2:

m1 - Cappucino Delite Myoplex lite shake - (i'm useless without coffee in the morning, and like you - i can't stomach much that early) - i mix it with 2 tsps instant coffee and water, a little half-n-half and 2 tbsps brewers yeast (chromium, b-vitamins - 13gs protein) - i wind up with an easy 40gs protein, plus my caffeine, plus it's something i can drink. It also gives me the energy to go workout prior to going to work.

m2 - 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese, and fruit of your choice ( i found for me that a ketogenic diet was too difficult to stick too - i just make sure my carb choices are from fresh vegetables or fruits, and make sure that those fruits and vegetables are low on the Glycemic Index.)

I've also in the past built in oats as my breakfast carb source.

i'll tell you the mealplan that truly worked for me and got me losing a pound a week WITH an untreated thyroid condition was as follows:

m1 - coffee+ half n half, 1/2c cottage cheese + 1 tbsp flax seed oil

m2 - oatmeal with blueberries

m3 - 4oz meat, poultry or fish plus 1c veggies

m4 - trailmix of nuts plus dried fruit (homemade, not prepackaged)

m5 - fresh mixed green salad with red onion, fresh carrot, cherry tomatoes, honeyroasted sunflower seeds, and either 2 hard boiled eggs, or one of those 3oz cans of albacore tuna, with a balsamic vinaigrette.

i think it came out to about 2000 cals once all is said and done.

and my other non-diet tips are:

- sweat everyday - i can't stress enough how important weight-training is - you can lose weight without exercise, but oft-times you wind up being a smaller version of your old lump-bumpy self. to truly shape a physique, weight-bearing exercise is key. plus strength-training with proper intesity results in up to 14 cals/per minute burned, as opposed to the average 10 doing low-intensity cardio.

- Interval training when it does come to doing cardio - ie walk/sprint routines where you walk for 2 minutes and then sprint for 1. Do that for 20 minutes, and it will pay off much more than just walking for 30 or even 45 would. It also helps your cardiovascular system much more.

- weigh yourself only once a week - and use a tapemeasure to mark changes

- don't beat yourself up if you cheat occassionally. i know for me, pms is a difficult time for me to stay on a low-carb diet - so i allow myself to eat whatever I want for that week, and skip exercise if i don't feel up to it as well. It goes a long way in helping me stay sane.

hope this helps a little bit. :smile:

Edited by tryska (log)

An Atkins-esque sounds good considering its game season. What self respecting gastronome would want to pass up duck, squab, pheasant or turkey in the fall? However, you can loose just as much weight if you just don’t eat within 5 hours of going to sleep and keep exercising. We’re approaching the silly season of “holiday pounds” warnings, which is always followed by “get in shape for summer” ads. Congratulations on your progress though. Please give yourselves a break around Christmas.

All you have to do is keep your BMI below 25. You can calculate your BMI at the National Institute of Health site: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

On Breakfast i recommend only the best: Bacon.

Remember: A Waist is a Terrible Thing to Mind.

Edited by eliotmorgan (log)

I think we've been through this before here, but I've never really (um) weighed in on the subject.

Eat less, exercise more.

That is the essence of it. It sounds glib, it's so simple, but it's true.

However, you really want to lose fat, not just 'weight;' that's trickier.

Even if you do nothing else (more-or-less), if you can cut your present calorie consumption by 500 calories per day, every day, you'll lose one pound per week. Could be by diet, exercise, or both.

Don't overdo it; if you cut calories too radically, your body will think you're starving, and conserve fat at the expense of protein (muscle.) That's bad.

Anything you do to increase muscle mass is good; muscles burn calories; fat just sits there (true, but oversimplified). Unfortunately, women's hormone balance isn't designed to add much muscle anyway. And no matter what gender you are; there is absolutely NO danger that you'll wake up one day and suddenly say, "Eww, I look like Schwarzenegger."

Unfortunately, women's hormone balance isn't designed to add much muscle anyway. And no matter what gender you are; there is absolutely NO danger that you'll wake up one day and suddenly say, "Eww, I look like Schwarzenegger."

*lol*! this is one of my pet peeves.

also - me personally - i find the eat less move more motto a bit too glib, but i'm not a normal person. I'm the only person I know that (well previous to getting medicated) could eat anywhere from 0 - 2000 calories for weeks on end, and lose nothing - but gain if i ate 2200 or more.

Monica

I would definetly advocate oatmeal - what works for me is a bowl of oatmeal which I soak overnight in water or milk, with cinnamon and ground cardamom, almonds and nuts. In the morning I cook the mixture with one mashed banana and its scrumptious. Sometimes in the summer instead of cooking it, I will just add some milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese. Since I exercise in the morning, I need something that fills me up and I don't like a lot of sugar so this works perfectly. I also don't eat alot of carbs, but I count oatmeal more as fiber then as a white flour or white sugar carbohydrate. Yoga is also great...I do Bikram which makes is heated and its worked wonders

anu - how has bikram yoga helped you? i've seen a lot of places popping up recently and i'm curious about it, but don't know if i'm curious enough to pay for it. (my gym membership is free currently) could you describe it for me?

Personally, I've never really been a fan of yoga, as I can never concentrate and my mind is in a million different places. Bikram is different b/c its really intense, as a result of the heat and therefore you can't help but concentrate on what you are doing. Secondly, the heat allows you to attain positions that I never thought possible. Thirdly you sweat alot and for me, really has all over cleasnsing effect. But its not for everyone. Many of my friends think its too much. But its definelty worth a try...

Personally, I've never really been a fan of yoga, as I can never concentrate and my mind is in a million different places. Bikram is different b/c its really intense, as a result of the heat and therefore you can't help but concentrate on what you are doing. Secondly, the heat allows you to attain positions that I never thought possible. Thirdly you sweat alot and for me, really has all over cleasnsing effect. But its not for everyone. Many of my friends think its too much. But its definelty worth a try...

Do talk more about this.. sounds fascinating..

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I resisted this for years, but have discovered that it is truly true: exercise makes all the difference.

In the past almost two years I've lost over 50 pounds. I hate the idea of "dieting," I've been on more diets than I can think of throughout my life. They all worked great while I was on them, and I always gained everything back (and then some) when I went off them. So this idea of "on a diet" and "not on a diet" doesn't seem to be the answer, at least not for me.

A little over two years ago I moved into a building that had a gym. I was 46 years old and had never stepped foot inside a gym in my life (no exaggeration). I was living in the building for about three months before I worked up the nerve to join, and it took another three months or so to actually start to go to it. It has made all the difference in the world.

I don't think it matters too much what type of exercise you do, as long as you find something you think you can stick with. I combine bike riding (both stationary bike and "real" bike) with weights, so I have something that burns calories as well as something that's strenghthening and toning my muscles. If I overdo it on the eating, I try to put more time into the bike riding. It's a long-range thing. I'm careful about what I eat and how much, but I have deleted nothing from my diet. It's a matter of how much and how frequently I eat stuff. I still have my days (and plenty of them) when dinner consists of a pint a Ben and Jerry's. Because IMO, cottage cheese sucks and I just can't get it down! :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you about how I never went to the gym before and now I love it and you couldn't keep me away for all the money in the world. It's not true. While I don't hate it quite as much as I used to, I can't say I love it. If I didn't feel I had to do it for my health, I wouldn't step foot in the place. But the truth is, it's the gym that has made the difference for me, much more than the eating.

Good luck to you!

Monica,

Good for you and hubby, too!

My current favorite breakfast is melted cheese (a combo of provolone and cheddar zapped in the microwave) and a sliced apple. I know the apple has carbs but it's pretty low on the glycemic index, I think.

I try to make enough good protein for dinner most nights so I have good options for lunch: roast chicken, steak or hamburger, usually with a salad. Sometimes I steam green beans in the morning, then dress lightly with olive oil and vinegar and toss in some feta cheese. By lunchtime it's really delicious.

Dinner is usually a roasted or sauteed protein, some veggies and potato or a bit of pasta. Since I have three daughters at home I try to model good eating habits and don't "give up" or refuse to eat some carbs.

I exercise several times a week, usually some weight training and some walking, if I can fit it in. I miss doing yoga, but local classes really take up more time than I can spare most days. I've tried Bikram and find it a great workout but wouldn't want to do it more than once in a while -- I like variety in my workouts and would find doing the same 26 poses in the same order all the time to be boring.

A little over two years ago I moved into a building that had a gym.  I was 46 years old and had never stepped foot inside a gym in my life (no exaggeration). I was living in the building for about three months before I worked up the nerve to join, and it took another three months or so to actually start to go to it. It has made all the difference in the world.

I think I must have read your message about 4 times. This is the first time in my life I am on a real diet. i did weight watchers a few years ago to loose some pregnancy weight.. but not like this. I too am terrified to go the gym. I know I need to get over it. .. thanks. I did go in once or twice and was really intimidated.. All these beautiful young women and all so fit.. And me.. :sad:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

In the past almost two years I've lost over 50 pounds.

Congratulations; I lost 60 pounds in a year of very hard work.

I've been on more diets than I can think of throughout my life. They all worked great while I was on them, and I always gained everything back (and then some) when I went off them. So this idea of "on a diet" and "not on a diet" doesn't seem to be the answer, at least not for me.

Exactly. Let's suppose that you were gaining 5 pounds a year before your diet. It doesn't seem like much, but adds up over time. So you go 'on a diet' and lose some weight. Great, so you don't need to diet anymore; you go 'off the diet' and return to your former habits. Bingo, you're right back to gaining 5 pounds a year again - see the problem here?

Either you're eating/exercizing the right amount to maintain a stable weight or you're not. There is no such thing as 'on' or 'off' a diet, as such.

Monica,

Good for you and hubby, too!

My current favorite breakfast is melted cheese (a combo of provolone and cheddar zapped in the microwave) and a sliced apple. I know the apple has carbs but it's pretty low on the glycemic index, I think.

I try to make enough good protein for dinner most nights so I have good options for lunch: roast chicken, steak or hamburger, usually with a salad. Sometimes I steam green beans in the morning, then dress lightly with olive oil and vinegar and toss in some feta cheese. By lunchtime it's really delicious.

Dinner is usually a roasted or sauteed protein, some veggies and potato or a bit of pasta. Since I have three daughters at home I try to model good eating habits and don't "give up" or refuse to eat some carbs.

I exercise several times a week, usually some weight training and some walking, if I can fit it in. I miss doing yoga, but local classes really take up more time than I can spare most days. I've tried Bikram and find it a great workout but wouldn't want to do it more than once in a while -- I like variety in my workouts and would find doing the same 26 poses in the same order all the time to be boring.

Bushey -- appreciate your note. i have a young son as well and he asked me yesterday what carbs are and why daddy and i are not eating them!!! so we really need to make sure that we are sending the right message to him as well

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

A little over two years ago I moved into a building that had a gym.  I was 46 years old and had never stepped foot inside a gym in my life (no exaggeration). I was living in the building for about three months before I worked up the nerve to join, and it took another three months or so to actually start to go to it. It has made all the difference in the world.

I think I must have read your message about 4 times. This is the first time in my life I am on a real diet. i did weight watchers a few years ago to loose some pregnancy weight.. but not like this. I too am terrified to go the gym. I know I need to get over it. .. thanks. I did go in once or twice and was really intimidated.. All these beautiful young women and all so fit.. And me.. :sad:

Yes, it is intimidating. I remember talking about this with a friend of mine and she said something that is really very true. In essence: don't worry about all those beautiful, young, fit women in the gym. They won't even bother to glance at you -- they're much too busy looking at themselves in the mirror. :rolleyes:

A suggestion: get a trainer, at least for one or two sessions. I figured it like this: I haven't the faintest idea what to do in a gym, what all this weird equipment is. Chances are I could kill myself really fast if I don't know what I'm doing. I told my trainer I was a complete newbie and my main objective was staying alive. I had no desire to bench press 100 punds (acutally I had no desire to bench press anything), and no desire to be competitive with other people in the gym. The trainer was actually very helpful.

Do it!

also different gyms have different clientele i think.

the gym i train at is a "for serious people only" type of gym - everyone in there is grimy in their sweats tuned into their headphones and doing their workouts - there's very little interaction and no one passes judgement one way or the other.

now the gym i work for is a"beautiful people" gym. It prides itself on bearing "no judgements", and really there are no judgements - we have people of all sorts, but a preponderance of the incredibly good-looking. there's a bit more socializing, and a lot more cruising and i can see where it can be more intimidating, if you judge by just the surface. heck i felt quite intimidated when i first started working there.

I've heard from countless sources that a small bowl of oatmeal is the best possible breakfast. I've also heard that it's important to eat within 30 minutes of waking up (can't remember why, exactly).

I've always been hesitant of dieting of any sort, as I feel is it something one must commit to for a lifetime in order to be effective in the long run. I love eating so dieting isn't really an option for me (I'll inevitably fail, then feel disappointed, blah, blah, blah). But that's just me. I have no willpower when it comes to food. :rolleyes:

I've managed to lose just under 50 lbs in the last year by exercising. I haven't changed my eating habits one bit. I generally eat a well-balanced diet anyway, but I don't restrict myself from eating "bad" things as well. I try to make a rough calculation in my head of how many calories I'm consuming, and then tailor my workouts and other daily activites to make sure I'm burning more than I'm consuming. I literally will eat something and think to myself "OK, that's another hour of Pilates or 40 minutes on the elliptical or I need to take the stairs today or I'll walk home instead of taking the subway"

Of course this isn't ideal for everyone, but I actually enjoy working out and am fortunate enough to be within striking distance of a great gym and am often joined by friends or coworkers, which makes it infinitely more enjoyable.

In any event, I hope you find what works best for you and that you have success! :smile:

Sherri A. Jackson

Congratulations on your weight loss! I've lost 30 pounds since last year, using something similar. Breakfast is also difficult for me, especially since I'm not much of a breakfast person in the first place.

As for exercise, I agree that you need to find something that works for you, and that you'll continue to do. For me, I bought a mini trampoline and use it quite a bit - it's actually fun to jump and turn while I watch stuff late at night. I also do ashtanga yoga, which has really given me both definition and flexibility - also clears my head quite a bit. But you have to find what you like and what your body takes to.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

It is not true that your body knows any difference of what time you eat your food. It is calories in and calories out.

Portion control is something that helped me. Most people eat too much of everything (and most Americans eat way to much protein and fat). Too much protein stresses your kidneys- you also rob your body of a lot of calcium processing too much protein. Osteioporosis is a big problem with women in the US (mostly because we eat too much protein). My grandmother had it, so no thank's on the Atkins diet for me. Once you learn what 2-3 oz of protein looks like, a cup of pasta, a cup of brown rice -you learn to use protein as more of a "garnish" for the rest of your meal. Those new low carb "snacks" are high in protein and calories- beware! It is like the "Snackwells" and no fat era. Everyone was downing those and eating angel food cake and fat free items (and ignoring the fact that fat free does NOT mean calorie free).

Moderation, water, and exercise is what helped me!