• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Like Killing Flies

Zeemanb

Sorry if there is already a topic started..........didn't see one.

This just came out on DVD today, and the Netflix gods smiled on me this morning.

I can't decide if this is the greatest food related documentary I've ever seen, but I can say that after watching it I have the same weird, disconnected feeling I did after watching Salo: 120 Days of Sodom. High points: At least one reference to fisting, and Kenny Shopsin eating food people left on their plates in the interest of quality control.

Basically, the story begins in the summer of 2002 at the old location........there are many people here who will be able to add some good information and stories once they see the movie. I've never visited Shopsin's while in NY, so I won't pretend to know anything outside of eG posts.

Anyway, watch this movie and confirm whether or not you think that a Bourdain/Shopsin episode of NR would be equally as entertaining and enlightening as the one at El Bulli.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched it and can recommend it.

Kenny and his food are definitely interesting. His philosphy cracks me up.

And the place is definitely a hole in the wall and had cleanliness issues. How did the health deparment let them pass?

I heard Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi" was based on Kenny. I was laughing when they interviewed people who had been thrown out of his restaurant.

You can see Kenny's fun menu HERE Lots of soups!!!

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it last night was torn between drooling over the food he served (I love his manic style and taste is is very similar to my own cooking frenzies.. but I wash everything!!!) .. the instinctual creativity of this man is amazing and nausea about the filth in that place and that man! ..back and forth loving him and wanting to taste the dishes and wanting to throw up at the hygiene issues...through the whole thing ..I love how he related cooking to sexuality and passion ..I feel the same way! it is all intertwined in life for me .......I have known people and restaurants just like this ..the food was so freaking good but the place was a nightmare of filth ..I had to set it in my brain that the food moved so fast the germs could not land and stick to it.....and drinking a lot of prior to eating at these places helped me over come my aversion to the environment ..(honestly I never did get sick) ..my aversion to people touching the rim of my glass kept me from drinking anything in these joints however and I always took my silverware and wiped it well under the table with wipes I keep in my bag (I am neurotic but private about it)

I really liked this documentary because I honestly felt like I had met these folks before ...many times!!!! I loved the family dynamics! My dad used to tell me to "stop being so nice to people!!!" just like he did in the film... so funny to hear him say that to his kids!!!

anyway I loved it and thought it was wayyyy too short ..so sad his wife died ....she was just so sweet and oblivious

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet