• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Room & Chutney Bar

Renka

I'm curious if anyone has been to Greg Couillard's Spice Room & Chutney Bar inside Hazelton Lanes. I've passed by the last couple weeks on my runs to Whole Foods and have seen activity at the Manyata Courtyard Café but haven't been around the area late enough to see how the Spice Room is when it's open (for evening service).

Has anyone dined at the Spice Room? If so, what did you think of it? I'd also be happy to know of any previous experiences you might have had of Couillard's work if you haven't eaten at this establishment. Thanks!

Renka asks for previous experiences: in 1999 Couillard produced one of my top 3 all-time meals when he was at Sarkis. He is a character and I suspect your request will get responses that span the complete range. He has many detractors, saying he is living in the past - his Jump Up Soup is from another era. He hasn't stayed still long enough for me to catch him lately but I will (how could I not given my 1999 meal) give Spice Room a try.

Renka asks for previous experiences: in 1999 Couillard produced one of my top 3 all-time meals when he was at Sarkis.  He is a character and I suspect your request will get responses that span the complete range.  He has many detractors, saying he is living in the past - his Jump Up Soup is from another era.  He hasn't stayed still long enough for me to catch him lately but I will (how could I not given my 1999 meal) give Spice Room a try.

Hi George W.

I've read various accounts about his character and would be interested in trying his cuisine vs. being his BBF. :wink: Thank you for sharing your experience. If you are heading back, I'd love to hear about your meal. Judging that one of your top meals in 1999 was under Couillard's direction, I might bump Spice Room up on my list of places to try. I have a feeling you might be there before me. (And no worries mkjr, if I head there, you'll probably see the images on my flickr. :laugh: )

I haven't had a chance to check out the Spice Room yet, but my wife and I had lunch at Manyata a few weeks ago, and if the food there was any indication, Spice Room should be fantastic.

You can see my wife's review of our visit here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know dining during Winterlicious shouldn't count, but at least it's a "try." Chef Couillard was present and we had a very nice chit chat before joining the rest of our party. He seemed quite nice. It was the evening of the snowstorm, so perhaps he was happy to see people still making it out (just as he did to go to work, albeit he lives "very close" (location disclosed for this post)).

As mkjr suspected, I do have images of my dinner at Spice Room.

My impressions can be found here, and although it sounds funny, I was very impressed with the kitchen's ability to cook vegetables. Excellent execution of simple ingredients is always key for me. Such practices outshines any gimmicky preparations, and I'd take deliciously crisp and sweet bok choy or red peppers over carrot foam or chocolate soil (something not hard to pass up due to my cocoa allergy!) anyday.

I'd also be happy to know of any previous experiences you might have had of Couillard's work if you haven't eaten at this establishment.  Thanks!

I've tried Couillard's food over a couple of decades. Originally at the 'Blue Room' (on King) around 20 years ago - and then about every 5 years thereafter - last time was Irie (in 2004) so I guess I'm due to try Manyata/Spice Room next year!

Honestly - there's been no development!

He has one absolutely superb dish - Jump Up Soup (which he's smart enough to take to every resto he ends up at). The rest of the dishes either use the same spices (boring after a while) or seem to be just a 'melange' rather than defined flavours.

But that Jump Up Soup is worth the visit.