• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advantages of using a vegetable knife?

WiscoNole

I always see Giada using a Global vegetable knife. What is the reason for using one of these over any other sort of knife, say, a standard chef's knife?

glG5.jpg

edit: Does anyone know if Global has a website? A Google search only yields sites selling their knives.

Edited by WiscoNole (log)

Just depends on what knife you are most comfortable with, and what style of cutting you have learned.

Japanese nakiri, chinese cleaver, chef's knife...

They'll all work.

I suspect Giada uses a global knife because they are a sponsor of the show or similar.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I have the same knife and, for my hands, it simply cannot be beat when hacking up rock hard squash and sweet potatoes where a pointy, curved tip is in no way beneficial. It'll also run straight through a medium onion with little more than a flick of the wrist.

I don't believe Global sponsors anything on The Food Network whatsoever, but their website is located here:

http://www.yoshikin.co.jp

Check here:

Find some of the appliances and kitchen equipment featured on the Everyday Italian set.

Everyday Italian set list

Global knives are manufactured by Yoshikin in Niigata, Japan. Visit www.globalknivesusa.com for more product information.

Maybe she just likes them.

I know they were definitely a sponsor of last year's top chef.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Check here:
Find some of the appliances and kitchen equipment featured on the Everyday Italian set.

Everyday Italian set list

Global knives are manufactured by Yoshikin in Niigata, Japan. Visit www.globalknivesusa.com for more product information.

Maybe she just likes them.

Anthony Bourdain mentioned them in his book, that doesn't necessarily mean they funded its writing.

Ok I've done a little research and decided I simply must have at least one Global knife. The combination of the straight edge, light weight, and incredibly sexy design have taken me by storm. Now, I just need to decide on either the vegetable knife or a chef's knife...although I already have a brand new chef's knife (part of the standard issue CIA kit). Guess I'll go with the veggie. Now I just gotta find a store in NYC. What are some good cutlery stores in the city?

Ok I've done a little research and decided I simply must have at least one Global knife.  The combination of the straight edge, light weight, and incredibly sexy design have taken me by storm.  Now, I just need to decide on either the vegetable knife or a chef's knife...although I already have a brand new chef's knife (part of the standard issue CIA kit).  Guess I'll go with the veggie.  Now I just gotta find a store in NYC.  What are some good cutlery stores in the city?

Apparently a lot of Bed Bath and Beyond stores carry them.............and what's not to love about the 20% off coupon !

Apparently a lot of Bed Bath and Beyond stores carry them

That they do, though they don't usually have the greatest selection. Can't remember if they stock the vegetable knife or not.

I got mine from Amazon with my Amazon Visa and Amazon Prime membership which nets me triple bonus points and saves me taxes and shipping.

You will also need a good water stone for sharpening if you do decide to go Global. And make sure you have some wire cutters handy to clip off the plastic ties that hold them in the cardboard package. I read some review on Amazon where a guy severed a tendon trying to rip it out.

I got mine from Amazon with my Amazon Visa and Amazon Prime membership which nets me triple bonus points and saves me taxes and shipping.

*GASP* you don't report your online purchases on your state income taxes!?!?

/ontopic I've heard the global knives are quite good for the price. Regarding Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, they do have restrictions. I wonder if knives is one of them...

*GASP* you don't report your online purchases on your state income taxes!?!?

/ontopic I've heard the global knives are quite good for the price. Regarding Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, they do have restrictions. I wonder if knives is one of them...

Just happened to have a BBB coupon on the frig. The two knife brands it lists that you can not use the coupon for are Henckels and Wusthof.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I started using a Nakiri awhile back when i bought one for the equivalent of 25 bucks. It's a cheap knife but it works wonders, i much prefer it to my Henkel chefs knife.

The advantage, to me, is the fact that you can use it as a scoop to move stuff from the cutting boards. This is really a major thing for me. If you normally use a ''rocking'' motion with the blade still attached to the board, it will take some time getting used to the Nakiri though (although it is possible to continue using that style it's not as efficient with a Nakiri as it is with a chefs knife).

While I'm deciding which of thesefine knives to buy, i went ahead and bought a Global 18 cm, the one pictured in the initial post. Must say i love it. The weight, size and curve of the blade suits me brilliantly. I was very close to buying the 20 cm one, but I'm very glad i didn't (tried a friends yesterday and the curve of that blade isn't as nice).

Would very much recommend the knife, but i suggest you try to find a cheap Nakiri in a asian market or something to try it out before you spend multo on nice one.

Edited by Southern (log)