• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montclair state university

chopjwu12

Hello

My sister just started school up in montclair. Id like to visit her every so often ofcourse and maybe make a food trip while im up there. Where do i go to eat? Any food is game im preety easy. Ive seen a couple montclair restaurants posted but i didn ruffle through them all. So if i can get a list from the people who have eaten up there it would be greatly apreciated :biggrin:

Thanks everybody

MSC has its own diner on campus, which has received pretty good marks recently.

Here are a few, within two miles south of the skool

In the Walnut/Grove street (E to W) are:

77 Walnut

Corso 98

Osborne's Tap House (an old fashioned bar with good food)

Trumpets (jazz brunch on some Sundays)

Tierney's (old fashioned bar on Valley, top of Walnut)

On Bloomfield Ave are (E to W)

Indigo Smoke (KC style ribs, chopped beef, etc)

Deja Vu (French Thai)

Blue Sky (you will prob like this place, very creative, call ahead and speak with Dave or Sherry)

Liberte (French Turkish)

Tuptim

Thai Chef

Top Notch

Chelsea Grille (Rosie likes it, I can't stand it)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Do make the trip to Little Saigon in Nutley - it's worth the effort. Also make reservations in advance - they're always crowded. I've tried Deja Vu (Thai-French) in Montclair and liked it (a trifle pricey for what you get but excellent food), The service, however, was comically bad and inattentive. 77 Walnut is good - the chef worked there on weekends for a few years and just took over full time. We went for the second time last night and were once again very pleased and feel that it's a good value. Rather than wlaking across grove to Marzullo's for dessert we decided to share a creme brulee from the dessert tray at 77 and it was abominable - the worst I've ever seen (think of something with a consitency between scrambled eggs and watery cottage cheese and you'll be close). One bite each and when we brought it to the waiter's attention it was removed from the bill with no questions asked. They also forgot to serve the small salad that is included with entrees (it's definitely included and we recieved it on our first trip). This place is good but the service need some polish and organization - they need someone savvy to ride herd on front of house. I had brunch at Blue Sky and felt it was overpiced (but in their defense I feel that way about almost any brunch that's over $20) but it was good. Dinner menu looks very very interesting. Across from Blue Sky and next to Deja Vu is Satish Palace, an Indian joint. My GF is a foodie (I am not) and also lived in in India for three months a few short years ago. She rates Satish very highly and I liked it too.

77 Walnut is good - the chef worked there on weekends for a few years and just took over full time.  We went for the second time last night and were once again very pleased and feel that it's a good value. Rather than wlaking across grove to Marzullo's for dessert we decided to share a creme brulee from the dessert tray at 77 and it was abominable - the worst I've ever seen (think of something with a consitency between scrambled eggs and watery cottage cheese and you'll be close). One bite each and when we brought it to the waiter's attention it was removed from the bill with no questions asked.  They also forgot to serve the small salad that is included with entrees (it's definitely included and we recieved it on our first trip). This place is good but the service need some polish and organization - they need someone savvy to ride herd on front of house.

How many diners did they have on Friday night? I ask because the service was outstanding on Wednesday with just three tables and six individual diners, but we suspected it could be a problem if there were sixty people dining.

The place looks like it could hold about 75 people in the two rooms.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

My sister-in-law happens to be over for the holidays and she lives in Montclair. She says you guys have shitty taste. But she also says that the best places to eat are;

Epernay on Park Street which is a French bistro

Dimitri's on Bloomfield Avenue which is a Greek/Middle Eastern place.

She says of the places already listed that Deja Vu is good but she hates Blue Sky. She says the rest are pretty ordinary.

My sister-in-law happens to be over for the holidays and she lives in Montclair. She says you guys have shitty taste. But she also says that the best places to eat are;

Epernay on Park Street which is a French bistro

Dimitri's on Bloomfield Avenue which is a Greek/Middle Eastern place.

She says of the places already listed that Deja Vu is good but she hates Blue Sky. She says the rest are pretty ordinary.

Steve -

I like Deja Vu, and it's been discussed here. Has your sister been to 77 Walnut since Mark Barrows took over the kitchen? If not, perhaps she might reconsider her opinion in light of new evidence. I did.

Epernay's fine (and a BYO), both Rosie and I have discussed it on previous threads. David indicated he had seen those threads. I held off mentioning places not on Bloomfield Ave or Walnut (like Corunna or Epernay) to avoid having to give directions. Dimitri's is on my list, but I haven't been there, so I don't want to comment on it.

I'm intrigued that your sister felt Liberte was ordinary. Of the many descriptions which could be applied, that's not the first which would come to mind. Rather than filtering her thoughts through you, perhaps she'd like to post for herself with details?

Paul

rancho gordo

How lucky for you that your sister-in-law has such impeccable taste.

perhaps it runs in the family. :raz:

seriously, I value Steve's observations and comments, although I may not always agree with them. He's been incredibly generous with his wisdom, and I consider that a blessing

rancho gordo

I work at MSU, so please extend my welcome to your sister! The diner on campus is close, so its convenient in that respect, but it is VERY slow, so I only recommend going there when you have a lot of time to kill! (lunch averages 1 1/2 - 2 hours, even when its not at all crowded).

My Montclair favorites are Blue Sky and Corso 98. I also like Toscana on Valley Road near the A&P. For a quick lunch bite, I like Evergreen (lots of choices for a vegetarian like myself). My colleagues also love Indigo Smoke.

Casey

I haven't tried Epernay but intend toi as Rosie speaks so highly of it. My comments on 77 Walnut should speak for themselves - it's not haute cuisine but IMHO is a good value. Rail Paul - when we ate there this past Friday there were only three other parties in the restaurant for a total (including us) of about ten people. I'm pretty tolerant of relaxed service but they really need to tighten thigns up. I can't imagine what it would be like if it got busy. On the two occasions that i've been it's awlays been with a party of two and the waiter always has to ask who gets which dish when he gets to the table. Between that and the missing salads, I think they need a l,ittle work but I like this place and the people are really nice - we will give it a few more tries before decinding whether to make it a regular stop or not.

Steve - I'm not questioning your sister-in-law's taste or judgement but the original poster more or less asked for a list of places folks had tried and said she was game for almost anything. It appears that people are complying with that request even if not all the places mentioned have top notch food. I happen to agree with her that Deja Vu is good and Blue Sky is overrated but the truly amateurish service at Deja Vu prevents me from returning.