• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Glarus Brewing Company

rlibkind

So I walk into this bar in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin to order up a Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing, and affixed to the wall, among many other bumper stickers, is the following from the aforementioned brewer:

Buy Local, Drink Yokel

So I did.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

So what'd ya think, dere hey?

I really like most of their beers, including the Spotted Cow (even if it does contain corn.)

They made an Eis Bock a couple years ago that was just outrageous.

About the only one I don't care for is the Cherry.

The story of the brewery is cool, too.

The brewmaster was working as production supervisor for Anheuser-Busch, and a bit frustrated. So, as a present, his wife, a business entrepeneur, raised the capital for him to start his own brewery.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I love dat dere spotted cow. Been drinking it for at least two or three years during my once or twice annual trips to Wisconsin. In da words of my Norske in-laws: it's not so bad!

Thanks for the brief history of New Glarus!

Robert's Market Report

Bob,

Would that bar happened to be Siebken's Stop Inn Tavern or possibly the Y-Go-Bye?

Ah, the memories of race weekends.

Tim

ps: New Glarus is also wonderful fun... We used to go to the Glarner Stube at the New Glarus Hotel and dance with the patrons wives to the Billy Bright Orchestra. Polka music, of course. And gourmet swiss food at bargain prices.

I love dat dere spotted cow. Been drinking it for at least two or three years during my once or twice annual trips to Wisconsin. In da words of my Norske in-laws: it's not so bad!

Thanks for the brief history of New Glarus!

New Glarus is as good as it gets, Bob. You lucky bastard.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Tim: Ya sure youbetcha, Siebken's.

Rich: Alas, only had room in the car on the way home for a six-pack of Spotted Cow and a six-pack of Leinie's. The latter was purchased at the insistence of my Wisconsin-bred and educated spouse, even though it's an SABMiller product, because of the fond memories of UW wasted weekends it rekindled.

The other reason we couldn't fit more beer in the trunk was because most of the space was occupied by a dry-ice filled cooler brimming with brats and other sausages from Miesfeld and Brockman's of Sheboygan, Usingers angus beef franks from Milwaukee, and, from Racine (the city with the largest population of Danes, at one time, after Copenhagen), rollepolse (an incredible cooked and pressed roll of various brined meats, usually any combination of veal/lamb/pork), two dozen sweet poppy and nut rolls and a raspberry kringle from O&H Bakery and two pecan and one almond macaroon kringle from Racine's best kringle-maker, Bendtsen's.

Da sausages an' rollepolse go wit da beer, but not da kringle. Wit dem ya godda trink kafe.

Robert's Market Report

Rich: Alas, only had room in the car on the way home for a six-pack of Spotted Cow and a six-pack of Leinie's. The latter was purchased at the insistence of my Wisconsin-bred and educated spouse, even though it's an SABMiller product, because of the fond memories of UW wasted weekends it rekindled.

The other reason we couldn't fit more beer in the trunk was because most of the space was occupied by a dry-ice filled cooler brimming with brats and other sausages from Miesfeld and Brockman's of Sheboygan, Usingers angus beef franks from Milwaukee, and, from Racine (the city with the largest population of Danes, at one time, after Copenhagen), rollepolse (an incredible cooked and pressed roll of various brined meats, usually any combination of veal/lamb/pork), two dozen sweet poppy and nut rolls and a raspberry kringle from O&H Bakery and two pecan and one almond macaroon kringle from Racine's best kringle-maker, Bendtsen's.

Da sausages an' rollepolse go wit da beer, but not da kringle. Wit dem ya godda trink kafe.

Note to Bob:

Get a bigger car, or at least, a bigger trunk! New Glarus is worth stockpiling in large quantities; its is as fine a beer in almost every category of style as you will ever drink.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Sounds like a great haul, Bob!

Being also a Wisconsin-bred and educated norske, it sounds like she has you trained well. Ah, for those days of buying a $6 24 pack of Leinie longnecks for the weekend.

One of the things that makes me most grumpy about the idiotic airline fluid ban, is that my wife and I can't tote back the equivalent of a case of various Midwestern beers, when we visit the relatives in Wisconsin.

By the way, if you like American IPAs, be sure to try Bell's Two Hearted Ale the next time you're in that neck of the woods. Another outstanding Midwestern beer producer.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Note to Bob:

Get a bigger car, or at least, a bigger trunk!  New Glarus is worth stockpiling in large quantities; its is as fine a beer in almost every category of style as you will ever drink.

Hmm. Brats or beer? Beer or brats?

Maybe a reefer semi-trailer instead of a bigger car, eh?

Robert's Market Report

Being also a Wisconsin-bred and educated norske, it sounds like she has you trained well.  Ah, for those days of buying a  $6 24 pack of Leinie longnecks for the weekend.

Being fond of Scandinavian foodstuffs (well, almost everything; I can't abide lutefiske) I tried to find Aase beer, but the store where I used to buy it in Racine no longer carries the stuff. Worth it for the name alone. The beer itself is only so-so.

Robert's Market Report

Being also a Wisconsin-bred and educated norske, it sounds like she has you trained well.  Ah, for those days of buying a  $6 24 pack of Leinie longnecks for the weekend.

Being fond of Scandinavian foodstuffs (well, almost everything; I can't abide lutefiske) I tried to find Aase beer, but the store where I used to buy it in Racine no longer carries the stuff. Worth it for the name alone. The beer itself is only so-so.

You do know that Aass is pronounced "orse," right? (At least that's what Garrett Oliver says in the Brewmaster's Table.)

It's an embarassment of riches out there, Bob, and definitely worth a trailer hauler.

Bell's, Capitol AND New Glarus.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

You do know that Aass is pronounced "orse," right?  (At least that's what Garrett Oliver says in the Brewmaster's Table.)

Ya sure. I usually drop the 'r' sound and pronounce it OO-sa, similarly to "OOF-duh". But I still like the way it's spelled.

Robert's Market Report

It's an embarassment of riches out there, Bob, and definitely worth a trailer hauler.

Bell's, Capitol AND New Glarus.

I didn't see Bell's, but I tried one of the Capitol's products, Wisco Amber. It was okay, nothing special. Nor have I tried any of New Glarus's other brews. When I see Spotted Cow on tap, I go for that without hesitation.

Robert's Market Report

One of the things that makes me most grumpy about the idiotic airline fluid ban, is that my wife and I can't tote back the equivalent of a case of various Midwestern beers, when we visit the relatives in Wisconsin.

For that reason alone, consider a road trip next time!

By the way, if you like American IPAs, be sure to try Bell's Two Hearted Ale the next time you're in that neck of the woods.  Another outstanding Midwestern beer producer.

I love IPAs. I'll look for it! The liquor store in Racine (Times) actually had Dogfish Head 90-minute, iirc, as well as some Victory product, two highly-regarded Delaware-Pennslvania producers I did not expect to find in a Racine, Wisconsin, store. Quite a nice selection overall, in fact, at this store. But then again, Wisconsin is a beer-centric place.

Robert's Market Report

Nor have I tried any of New Glarus's other brews. When I see Spotted Cow on tap, I go for that without hesitation.

Get youself a bottle of the Belgian Red & Raspberry Tart. They're like drinking candy.