• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showcasing Orange Bitters

winesonoma

Any else make Martini's with orange bitters and Plymouth or Citidel Gin

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Hmmm... Never used orange bitters in a martini, but I always use it when making a Manhattan.

Since Plymouth is so delicately flavored (haven't had Citatelle), I'd be concerned that the bitters might overwhelm the gin. What has your experience been?

--

I've used orange bitters in martinis occasionally, but not with either of those gins. I find that, used with a dry vermouth like Noilly Prat, the bitters adds a flavor similar to that of blond Lillet. It's not something I want all the time, but it makes a nice change from time to time.

indeed. dry vermouth + orange bitters does approximate blonde Lillet... but without the caramelized notes in the Lillet.

I do use orange bitters in martinis (when I infrequently make them), but don't use either of your gins.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I (almost) always use Orange Bitters in my Martini's. The gins I usually keep on hand to use are Plymouth, T10, and Hendricks.

One key I feel is important in such a Martini, is to also use enough vermouth to get all of the flavors balancing. Which just isn't possible with the "swoosh & dump" method of adding vermouth to this drink. I usually use 3 parts gin to 1 part dry vermouth (Noilly).

-Robert

www.DrinkBoy.com

One key I feel is important in such a Martini, is to also use enough vermouth to get all of the flavors balancing. Which just isn't possible with the "swoosh & dump" method of adding vermouth to this drink. I usually use 3 parts gin to 1 part dry vermouth (Noilly).

True. Otherwise, you end up with something more akin to gin and bitters, which, while interesting on its own, is not a martini.

I've found that I prefer this style martini made with the less juniper-y gins. My more usual preference is for gin with more pronounced juniper, so I don't make them this way very often.

See, I loathe juniper. It smells like I'm drinking my Christmas tree. Which is why I prefer the more subtle, and delicate Plymouth.

I'm not sure I'd like the orange bitters in a martini, but am willing to give it a try. I've been wanting to purchase them for the sampling for awhile for the home bar.

Somehow I think I remember reading this discussion before (most likely at webtender) because I immediately thought of Robert adding orange bitters to martinis the first time I read this thread. :wacko:

The vermouth I use is handcrafted here in Calif. King Eider Premium Dry Vermouth made by Duckhorn vineyards

Bruce Frigard

• 9 months later...

At the picnic e-gulleter's had a couple months ago in S.F. Winesonoma made some martini's using orange bitters which did magic for the martini's in my mind. The Fee Bros Orange bitters though were impossible to find locally. The other night I was able to find them online through a place called Surfa's out of the L.A. area. (www.surfasonline.com) . I mention the place for 2 reasons. One is that they carry Fee Bros and secondly, after I ordered, since they are awaiting their order (currently out of stock) they took the time to call and say that it won't be being shipped till next week. I am one who will complain when service is really bad but I also think something should be said about people who provide good service.

That aside, since I"m getting the orange bitters I was wondering what other people use their bitters for and am looking for ideas.

Thanks for any input.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

You can order direct from their website and yes I will buy you a bottle for you at my local market but be forewarned it's $6.99 you provide the gin. I have the shaker and the glasses. Bruce

Bruce Frigard

Orange bitters is a classic cocktail ingredient and a necessary part of any cocktail enthusiast's pantry. There are countless classic cocktails that include orange bitters. Indeed, bitters is an entire class of ingredient that is underappreciated among drinkers and bartenders these days. There is hardly a cocktail that won't be improved with a dash or two of bitters. Some great cocktails with orange bitters are the Satan's Whiskers and the Scofflaw. If you click here you will find hundreds of cocktails on cocktaildb that feature orange bitters. But there are even more. Plenty of drinks that are made with Angostura bitters (e.g., the Manhattan) are very good with the addition or substitution of orange bitters.

Hopefully orange bitters won't be so hard to find when Gary Regan's orange bitters goes into production. Everyone I know who has tried his homemade bitters swears by it. Unfortunately, there is no knowing when it will be offered for sale. I keep on hearing (and reading) that it's release will be just around the corner... but I've been hearing that for a long time.

--

Well, not that you'll probably need them any time soon, now that you've ordered, but Plumpjack on 24th in SF carries the whole line of Fee Bros. bitters -- peach, mint and angostura as well as orange. Tower Market also carries the orange.

Sam's right in that a dash of bitters can be a welcome addition to many cocktails; even something as simple as a screwdriver is improved by a dash.

Okay Bruce, I'll bring down a bottle of Saphhire tomorrow night.

Glad to know the stuff can be found in the city as well jaz.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Is Fee's the best in terms of bitters? I would like to stock up as I am seeing more & more interesting cocktails with bitters.

What about Peychaud's...I've seen that one mentioned frequently too. Is it just a different brand or is it completely different?

All I have in the house right now is Angostura.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Right now, Fee's is the only game in town for orange bitters. So it's not a matter of better or worse. If you want orange bitters, you have got to buy Fee's. Some day in the future, the Sazerac Company will supposedly be selling Regan's Orange Bitters No. 6. People who have tried his previous homemade versions (Nos. 4 or 5) say it blows Fee's orange bitters away, and they are loathe to go back to Fee's. I'll be interested to taste for myself.

Fee's is also the only game in town for Mint Bitters and Peach Bitters.

After this, it's not so much a matter of different brands of bitters as it is different styles of bitters that happen to be made by different producers.

Peychaud's bitters, for example, is deep pink and has anise and cherry flavors along with the herbs and whatnot. It is an essential component of the Sazerac, but can be used interestingly in a variety of new and old cocktails. There is no substitute for Peychaud's bitters, and nothing else tastes similar to it. It is a proprietary recipe only produced by one company.

Angostura bitters is probably the most commonly used and easily obtainable bitters. It is entirely different from Peychaud's or orange bitters. It is very dark and herbaceous. Technically, Angostura bitters is an "aromatic bitters," which simply means bitter concentrated infusion of herbs, spices, etc. The only other brand of aromatic bitters of which I am aware is Fee Brothers aromatic bitters. This is a great bitters, but tasted quite different from Angostura. If you make the same drink with Angostura and Fee's aromatic bitters, the two drinks will not taste the same. So it's not really a perfect substitution.

There used to be a zillion different kinds of bitters, as bitters was once (and properly) considered an important part of any cocktail. Bars used to make homemade bitters in several styles for their own use.

--

just an fyi....

Collins also makes orange bitters. That is the only brand I can find here in the Atlanta area and the only place I can find those are at Tower Package on Piedmont. (& just for those who remember a long ago post I still have not found that bottle of orange bitters that disappeared.)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 1 year later...

So I was over a friend of a friends parents house and while rummaging through the liquor cabinet to make a cocktail waaaay in the back of the cabinet I found a bottle of orange bitters

The label says:

Giroux Orange Bitters

contains: Alcohol, Cane Sugar Syrup, Partially deterpenated orange oil, extractions of quassis and other vegetables, salt, sugar, colors.

Alcohol 30%

Has anyone seen this before? I did a few searches on line but didn't turn up anything.

The bottle is half full, I am currently in the process of trying to see if I can obtain this bottle for furture research!

:biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 9 months later...

I picked up a bottle of Regan's Orange Bitters for my favorite local bartender while I was passing through Kentucky, and I want some recipes that I can suggest that will really show off the awesomeness of the bitters. Most of the drinks that I'm used to making with orange bitters (like the Pegu) use them in a more subtle sense, but I'd like to have something I can knock his socks off with.

Any suggestions?

I picked up a bottle of Regan's Orange Bitters for my favorite local bartender while I was passing through Kentucky, and I want some recipes that I can suggest that will really show off the awesomeness of the bitters.  Most of the drinks that I'm used to making with orange bitters (like the Pegu) use them in a more subtle sense, but I'd like to have something I can knock his socks off with.

Well, the thing is that orange bitters are fairly subtle. They don't tend to make a huge difference in the taste of a drink the way, e.g., Angostura bitters do -- and if they do, it often means you used too much.

If you really want to showcase the difference orange bitters can make, I'd suggest a Martini. Get a freshly-opened bottle of Noilly Prat and stir it with Tanqueray in equal parts, adding a few short dashes of orange bitters.

--

I hate to suggest the obvious; but, perhaps Satan's Whiskers?

I believe Ted Haigh's recipe in "Vintage Cocktails..." calls for a rather large amount (a teaspoon or so?) for each cocktail.

Another one I've recently come across, which is also featured in "Vintage Cocktails..." is the "Calvados Cocktail" from the Savoy cocktail book. I made it last week; but, chickened out on putting in a full dose of orange bitters. Haigh describes it tasting like a Calvados Negroni.

2 Glasses Calvados (1 oz Germain-Robin Apple Brandy)

2 Glasses Orange Juice (1 oz Orange Juice)

1 Glass Cointreau (1/2 oz Cointreau)

1 Glass Orange Bitters (1/2 oz! Orange Bitters)

Add plenty of ice and shake carefully.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA