• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosehip Liqueur recipe

sote23

I've searched the internet with no luck. Anyone know of a recipe with just rosehips, or with rosehips in combination with something else?

infuse your hips into a spirit. vodka or rum if you want to add lots of sugar... but if you don't want to add alot of sugar and want it really strong i'd use a very neutral pisco for its heaviness.

your infusion might only take a night and a half. if you hips are bitter or have a quality that seems to come out first that you don't like you could blanch them lightly first to get it out then do a longer infusion in alcohol.

a very delicate clove or subtle anise might be a good note to also put in there. maybe a little orange flower water?

strain it all very well through cloth. if you have the time let it sit for a month so you can rack off whatever sediment sinks to the bottom. if you are ready for some trial and error you could use a clarifier like bentonite which uses your sediments polarity to attract the molecules and clarify your liquid. there are others with different polarities etc.

then add sugar. think of another liquor as your benchmark. i often use sweet vermouth as my gauge. 25 brix. last step if you want a red color use a very tiny amount of hibiscus flower to color it all then strain it out. shaking it until you get your color will probably work.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I've searched the internet with no luck. Anyone know of a recipe with just rosehips, or with rosehips in combination with something else?

infuse your hips into a spirit. vodka or rum if you want to add lots of sugar... but if you don't want to add alot of sugar and want it really strong i'd use a very neutral pisco for its heaviness.

your infusion might only take a night and a half. if you hips are bitter or have a quality that seems to come out first that you don't like you could blanch them lightly first to get it out then do a longer infusion in alcohol.

a very delicate clove or subtle anise might be a good note to also put in there. maybe a little orange flower water?

strain it all very well through cloth. if you have the time let it sit for a month so you can rack off whatever sediment sinks to the bottom. if you are ready for some trial and error you could use a clarifier like bentonite which uses your sediments polarity to attract the molecules and clarify your liquid. there are others with different polarities etc.

then add sugar. think of another liquor as your benchmark. i often use sweet vermouth as my gauge. 25 brix. last step if you want a red color use a very tiny amount of hibiscus flower to color it all then strain it out. shaking it until you get your color will probably work.

thanks for the input, I will give it a shot.

Are you using fresh rose hips?

Or dried?

If dried, you might want to re-hydrate a bit before steeping in liquor.

I haven't had much luck using dried ingredients (apricots and chiles) in liquor, without at least giving them a bit of soak. You might want to save the soaking liquid to use for your sweetening syrup later, if that's what you are planning.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

You might want to save the soaking liquid to use for your sweetening syrup later, if that's what you are planning.

Yes! That would make a lovely simple syrup and layer/intensify the flavouring, thereby, ummmm, success. Please post back with your results as I have a whole big bunch of roses all over the yards and have schemed to make use of those hips.

:laugh: