• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting unusual things in North Carolina

So after much tracking down and being told by various local wine retailers that they have either never heard of Vya or absolutely can't get it, I have discovered through the NC distributor posted on the Quady Winery (they make Vya) website that the shop right down the street can order it, they just didn't know it. It seems that even though liquor may not be ordered in NC, wines (and by extension vermouths) can be.

So my next question is trying to get some Carpano Punt e Mes. I have heard lots of interesting things, and being the same %ABV (16) as Vya Vermouths I wonder if perhaps this can be acquired as well. Anyone know the official US distributor for them?

Anyone know any other interesting products that can be had in the desolate wastes (liquor selection-wise at least) of North Carolina?

Anyone know any other interesting products that can be had in the desolate wastes (liquor selection-wise at least) of North Carolina?

Frankly, there isn't much, although A Southern Season does regularly stock Vya Vermouth. Kroger has a fairly decent selection of vermouths and quinquinas: Noilly, Cinzano, Lillet, Dubonnet. I've never seen Carpano Antica or Punt e Mes, or Byrrh, Suze, etc. anywhere. Bitters, too, are simply not available. A Southern Season carries Underburg, but not Regan's, Peychaud's, Bitter Truth, or any of that. Though, I have noticed that the ABC stores now seem to be carrying Unicum, which is one of my favorites (try it in a Manhattan). But, of course, no Maraschino, Chartreuse or Kirsch, and a pretty crappy selection of Rum, sadly.

For bitters and wines, at least you can turn to the internet. For booze, well, it's head for the border!

I fled North Carolina more than a year ago, but when I was still there the Whole Foods Market in Raleigh had Vya sometimes. As to mail order, I had no trouble at all getting spirituous liquors shipped from Raeder's in New York. Was that against the law? If so, I'm glad that I didn't know it at the time. I was actually kind of surprised that I was able to do it, what with the state monopoly on spirits. But I placed the order, and the booze arrived in due course. I chose Raeder's because they carry Luxardo maraschino, which I was particularly looking for. They have a pretty good selection of stuff, and fairly good prices, although with liquor the shipping is always going to be expensive because of the weight.

For bitters, Surfas carries the whole range of Fee Brothers products. Buffalo Trace carries Regan's and Peychaud's. But where can one find The Bitter Truth products? (Actually, I'm planning to be in Munich in December, so I can probably find them there, but that's December and this is June.)

Finally, on the subject of Punt e Mes, I'm not sure what this means, if anything, but the name "Carpano" no longer appears on the label. Raeder's carries it (although the picture of the bottle on their website still shows the Carpano name).

[...]

But where can one find The Bitter Truth products? (Actually, I'm planning to be in Munich in December, so I can probably find them there, but that's December and this is June.)

[...]

As far as I know, the only way to get the Bitter Truth bitters is to order from them directly.

Bitter Truth Website

They're a pretty small operation, so you may have to stop by one of the bars they work in to pick up the goods. I would just drop them a note and ask.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA