• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggs Benedict

Saffy

Really? I've never heard of eggs benedict as anyrhing other than poached chicken eggs, toasted "english" muffin (no relation), bacon made from pork loin such as Canadian, Wiltshire, or Irish, and hollandaise.

Anything else, no matter how wonderful, is something else isn't it? But a rose by any other name...[still has thorns].

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Theres a breakfast chain called The Original Pancake House which has something called Eggs Michael on their "Benedicts" menu, which is poached eggs on patty sausage with a mushroom wine gravy, served on top of potato pancakes.

While not a Benedict by the strictest sense, its pretty awesome.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Saffy, I've seen this called "eggs Neptune" but I don't think that's its official name. I don't know if there is one.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Really? I've never heard of eggs benedict as anyrhing other than poached chicken eggs, toasted "english" muffin (no relation), bacon made from pork loin such as Canadian, Wiltshire, or Irish, and hollandaise.

Anything else, no matter how wonderful, is something else isn't it? But a rose by any other name...[still has thorns].

How right you are !! :smile:

.....and the "Thorn" is the single slice of black truffle on top of each egg (after the Holl) :raz:

Peter

Two poached eggs with almost runny yolks on top of two nicely toasted english muffin halves each covered with a slice of salty grilled ham about 1/4 inch thick (or canadian bacon) the whole covered with buttery, lemony hollandaise sauce, garnished with a handful of watercress. A sprinkle of ossetra or bekuga on the side wouldn't hurt.

BTW, Avenue Restaurant on 85th and Columbus serves superb EB as does SQC's place on 74th and Columbus.

I've been wary to eat eggs benedict in a restaurant ever since I read KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL, where Anthony Bourdain points out that hollandaise sauce is rarely (never) made on a per order basis, and the idea of that stuff just percolating somewhere, a veritable breeding ground for food poisoning -- at least that's his claim, and even if it isn't true, the seed he planted is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies.