• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for Westwood

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Westwood on Thursday...any recomendations for a place to eat? No real restrictions other than that it's lunch, so we don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Respectfully disagree, Iron Horse to me is a tired old "joint" that is in desperate need of a makeover.

Not a big selection in this area, up the road in Hillsdale is Cornerstone, a new place in an old bank building with the basics, or more upscale would be Bacari Grill in Wash Township, which is a very good lunch choice, IMHO.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Westwood on Thursday...any recomendations for a place to eat?  No real restrictions other than that it's lunch, so we don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Thanks

If you want authentic Mexican go to Cinco de Mayo on Broadway in downtown Hillsdale. However, the interior is basically just a counter that seats around 10 people and maybe 4 tables of four in the back. The decor is lacking but the food makes it a destination.

Stick with the sopes and the soft tacos (especially tongue and cabeza!)

I've heard good things about Pourqoui Pas? right in the middle of town, I've wanted to try it but never have.

I actually like It's Greek To Me - a chain , but great fresh Greek food. Also there's a Japenese restaurant behind there that a friend told me is good....

I've heard good things about Pourqoui Pas?  right in the middle of town,  I've wanted to try it but never have.

Alas, the last time I checked, Pourqoui Pas? is not open for lunch.

I second PJ Finnegans for Irish Pub atmosphere and a great Steak Sandwich with Mustard Sauce (be sure to get a side of the stuff for dipping fries).

Have been to The Cornerstone in Hillsdale a couple of times for lunch and dinner and always come away disappointed. If you're going that far north, I'd either go another block and lunch at Matsu (japanese) or if you're in the mood for authentic Mexican in rather basic digs, go for Cinco de Mayo.

And for what its worth, I'd bypass The Iron Horse, which has definitely seen better days, both food and atmosphere-wise.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

Thanks for all the rec's.....we ended up at Pimaan Thai on Kiderkamack in Emerson. The food was good enough...nothing outstanding, but it was the perfect social lubricant over which to catch up with an old friend.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami