• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweetening cold drinks, simple syrup for Iced tea?

thecuriousone

HI All-

I would like some input on sweetening cold drinks. I am hosting a lunch and am considering either brown sugar in lumps or a simple syrup on the table to sweeten the iced drinks (primarily iced tea or tea based punches).

My question are the following:

1. Can I make the pretty lumps of sugar I see when dining out at home?

2. Should I simply set a small carafe of simple syrup on the table?

3. For those that are diabetic can I make a simple syrup using splenda for table use?

Thank you for any info you can offer.

1- I'm sure there's a way, but I don't know how.

2 - Yes, that would be nice. Simple syrup makes sweetening iced tea so much easier.

3 - Yes, those bulk bags of Splenda will tell you the sweetness ratio compared to sugar but you can just follow the normal simple syrup procedures.

1) Just go to an upscale supermarket and look for lump raw sugar. I've seen it in Wegman's and even in a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

2) I'm with Onocoffee on this one. It's not only more elegant but mixes so nicely. Sugar and other powdered sweeteners never really dissolve properly in cold beverages if mixed directly in.

3) Splenda may be used in exactly the same volumetric amounts as sugar to get equivalent sweetness. That's volume not weight - e.g. a tablespoon of Splenda powder equals a tablespoon of granulated sugar for sweetening power. But you may have issues of consistency - it has a different body than sugar when dissolved with heat and water. You might consider doing a blend to get the right consistency but still yield a glycemic index low enough for most diabetics. I use a 50/50 mix of Splenda and sugar when I make apple pie and my friend who has Type II diabetes can eat it with no problems.

Using liquid sugars is easier, more efficient, and much cleaner than trying to mix any powder or granule into a cold beverage.

There are several very good retail brand simple syrups available, many use pure cane sugar. Also there are some very nice retail brand 100% Splenda syrups solutions that one can use as well.

When preparing in the home, you will need an acid (lemon juice or such) to keep the sugar in suspension and inhibit crystallization. There may be good recipes for ingredients and ratios online.

I hope this helps.

Spencer

"Wine give rise to dreams: Coffee to thoughts"

• 1 month later...
When preparing in the home, you will need an acid (lemon juice or such) to keep the sugar in suspension and inhibit crystallization.

This hasn't been my experience, with 2 sugar : 1 water by volume syrup. I use it fairly quickly, usually over the span of a week; in that length of time, it is stable at room temp. The only major thing you need to worry about it is keeping your containers spotlessly clean to avoid contamination, and keep them capped tightly when not in use.

Another advantage of using simple syrup is you can make your own flavors for use in lemonade or iced tea. Mint, mixed herb, or lavender are just a few that are delicious in either.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Have you considered stevia liquid extract? I use the raw stevia leaves in my hot tea, but for cold drinks, I use the stevia liquid. It might be a reasonable alternative for you. And, it's all natural and fine for diabetics.