• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Food Network.."Star"?

Old Timer

Jag made it as far as he did because he did have personality, even though the panel agreed he was pretty raw. With some work, he could have been good.

That being said, I know Marines, and if he misrepresented his military service, that's one of the most dishonorable things he could have done. The bloggers and probably people from his old units found out that he was misstating his service, and he did not use opportunities given to him to clarify the situation.

He didn't graduate from culinary school. Big deal. He's got chops and can cook. But the time and place of service is held in very high regard among the military. He could have just bailed on the whole thing, but the "meeting" was for him to save as much face as possible. And it gave some insight into Food Network's thinking. What he did was the most honorable way out of a dishonorable position. He threw himself on his own grenade. I also find it amusing that he calls himself Jag, as in Judge Advocate General, an officer in the court martial process.

Go Amy.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Count me in on the side of those thinking JAG's apology and withdrawal were scripted.

But I also do firmly believe it was offered to him as a way to save face, rather than being summarily bounced by FN. Yes, not so much for falsifying the culinary chops, but for the fabrications about his military service.

Too bad. Very much too bad, and sad that he was naive/foolish enought to think no one would find out, or it wouldn't matter. It was a silly, silly choice he made.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The biggest thing they cooked up tonight was the Jag/Tusch & Suzi conference con hugs.

What a mess. Kind of like Rory's food. I may vote for Amy, but I doubt I'll tune in at 7 am on Sundays to watch if she wins.

I started watching last year, and was totally into it with Guy and Reggie as the finalists. This year was, I think we all agree, a train wreck. I thought JAG had the most promise from the very start, but even if he hadn't self-imploded, I don't think he'd have won. His stint with RaeRay just illustrated how manic he can be. Granted, he only had 5 minutes, but I sure couldn't watch an entire half hour of that. It's too bad, too, as I thought he had the most in talent and experience.

So now...Amy or Rory. Hmmm...would you like strychnine or arsenic? Neither is my favorite. I really got turned off with Amy's hystrionics in week 5, but when she came out on top in week 6, all was roses & lollipops. I don't know that she has the stability or long-term appeal to make it. And, cruely, if she does get chosen, she'll have to have MAJOR orthodontia before she can be a "Food Network Star".

That brings us to Rory. Despite her decidedly equine appearance, she's grown on me. Sure, she's brash and rough around the edges, but I think she has a lot of promise. I find myself asking, "Of the two finalists, who could I watch for a half hour for 13 weeks?" The answer comes up "Rory". Bobby said she totally upstaged RaeRay in her demo, but isn't that what they want? Someone who isn't timid in front of the camera (Paul) and basically says, "Honey, I'm cooking, and I only have 5 minutes...get the heck out of my way!"

We'll all find out next week, n'est pas?

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'll vote for neither, as I'd only watch a show by Jag. I'd say they told him that he had to resign, and that's how he handled it. It was interesting that, in the explanation flashed on the screen, they mentioned how he didn't come clean in a press interview. Had he, would he be safe? Maybe Flay will hire him :)

It seems as Jag could've benefited the most from this show, too...

Surprising to see all 3 do rather well on RR's show.

After contemplating further, I will give Food Network a little credit on something (don't everyone sigh at the same time).

Yes, perhaps the whole Jag exit was scripted and contrived, but imagine if this same thing happened on a Fox show. They would have blind-sided the guy and turned the whole thing into a circus using Jag as a punching bag. So, tip of the hat to FN for handling it as they did (i.e. giving the guy a somewhat graceful exit).

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

The whole JAG thing did not ring true.

First of all, they dinged him week after week for his anger management problems...I was really surprised when he ended up in the final two. That said, the "resignation" was totally lame. So fake. I suspect that the FN liked him and wanted him to save face, and that we will continue to see him. They seem to have an actual fondness for him.

The whole JAG thing did not ring true.

First of all, they dinged him week after week for his anger management problems...I was really surprised when he ended up in the final two.  That said, the "resignation" was totally lame. So fake. I suspect that the FN liked him and wanted him to save face, and that we will continue to see him. They seem to have an actual fondness for him.

Totally Fake, and from what I understand still not the truth. I believe he was discharged from the Marines -don't know if it was an honorable discharge - and he was asked to leave the culinary school.

As far as Amy or Rory goes, they both are pretty bad. Amy is as phony as they come and how Rory got there I can't begin to guess. I think whats his face is in love with her. Check out the way he looks at her.

The show seemed to suffer from overthink, just like the second or third season of every reality show seems to. Maybe we'll luck out and get better choices next season.

I'm a very late comer to this show. It's weird!

At one point Alton Brown asked one of the girls if an ingredient was chile flakes or pepper flakes. She didn't know and thought they were the same thing. Brown scolds her and says they're not even the same plant. Aren't they both a form of Capsicum? What is he talking about?

I think tv is now designed not to teach you anything. it's to confirm what you already know. I found the "I lived in France and I'm fancy" woman irritating but I could at least learn something from her, I hope. I want to watch someone who knows more than me. The TX gal was useless and I think I could learn more from a meal at Applebees.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I think Amy should have told the Food Network 'no' when they called her back to New York a few weeks ago to tape last night's surprise ending.

Why? Regardless of what anyone may think of her, it seems to be in her own best interest to have returned and getb another shot at something she seems to want very much.

Shel

... Shel

Of the two, Rory has the most formal culinary experience.

Rory attended and graduated from the CIA and additionally went to the culinary university Johnson and Wales. She worked in her father's Italian restaurant from age 15 and was added to the cooking staff at 18. At 22 she bought and ran a three storey restaurant in NJ with 3 bars. She is building a restaurant now in TX.

Amy said she went to an obscure French cooking school. One of the fellows at Ruhlman's said he hires chefs for years and has never heard of it. Other than that Amy herself says she is a "freelance caterer".

OK, Rory may be a ditz but her credentials are stellar compared to Amy's. And Amy flubbed until the last two episodes.

Frankly, I'm shocked that the FN couldn't find people who are more qualified anyway.

Of the two, Rory has the most formal culinary experience.

Rory attended and graduated from the CIA and additionally went to the culinary university Johnson and Wales.  She worked in her father's Italian restaurant from age 15 and was added to the cooking staff at 18.  At 22 she bought and ran a three storey restaurant in NJ with 3 bars.  She is building a restaurant now in TX.

Amy said she went to an obscure French cooking school.  One of the fellows at Ruhlman's said he hires chefs for years and has never heard of it.  Other than that Amy herself says she is a "freelance caterer".

OK, Rory may be a ditz but her credentials are stellar compared to Amy's.  And Amy flubbed until the last two episodes.

Frankly, I'm shocked that the FN couldn't find people who are more qualified anyway.

The fact that someone on a blog hasn't heard of her cooking school doesn't mean much to me. Nor does the fact that Rory went to school or has been working. Neither of them are great but I'd be much more interested in what someone who studied in Europe and has a French husband has to say than someone who makes obscenely big steaks and tops them with gobs of butter and claims to be making "real food for real people."

But the French-inspired chef is somewhat of a sell out. She keeps saying "fancy-schmansy" but you know that's where her heart is and it was sad to watch her say "I want to be the gourmet next door!" and discount the European food that she loves.

I also think it's not quite fair to go after Rory's big teeth. Perfection is Sandra Lee's boob and nose jobs. Who wants more of that?

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I had posted this on another blog - thought I would post it here, too:

So when will Food Network’s management and marketing team fully utilize the experience they gained at Nickelodeon and Disney to take the plunge and start producing an animated cooking show? Just think, Cartoon Chef could walk, talk, cook and look exactly like they want and provide the plethora of branding opportunities they so desperately seek. At least it would end our misery of watching them comically turn one on-air talent after another into caricatures of their former selves.

And after last night’s dramatic dwindling to the final two on the Next Food Network Star, I have come to the realization that this faux-reality show epitomizes what is wrong with the Food Network.

Like the old phrase of “putting all of your eggs into one basket,” if you don’t make it on the Next Food Network Star, you’re sent packing into culinary oblivion. At least that is what this show’s contestants think as they tear-up over the fame and fortune they think they’ll miss if they don’t win this competition and its guaranteed entry through the Sugarcoated-Pearly-Gates of Food Network Heaven.

Do these potential ‘stars’ (or the producers that are feeding into their quest for reality stardom) realize that there are thousands of professionals in the culinary industry accruing on-air time, writing credentials, calluses, burns and bruises (to body and pride) all across this country for the love of food? The Next Food Network Star should not be viewed as the starting point for a culinary career.

The Food Network strives to be the pinnacle of culinary programming, co-marketing and cookbook publishing. When in reality, they’re simply skewing the bell curve for the rest of us who are trying to make it in this industry. And this bell curve isn’t off because the network is getting the highest grade in the class.

www.andshecookstoo.com

Amy is so not fake.

She is normal.

She is warm.

She has an asymettrical side smile.

She truly is a Mom that likes to cook.

Gourmet next door.

Very watchable and real.

Rory is fake, trying to be a personality, but cannot cook.

Like I said:

Texas will win over France.

Merkin. Amerkin. America.

But, it's not right.

Egg cocotte vs. grilled steak? C'mon! No comparison. No creativity for Rory. Grill some steak, serve it with asparagus. America swoons.

Even Ratatouille has more creativity than that.

Philly Francophiles

And after last night’s dramatic dwindling to the final two on the Next Food Network Star, I have come to the realization that this faux-reality show epitomizes what is wrong with the Food Network.

You're exactly right, and it is evident in that recent Food Network article on how they want to brand their own pots and pans now, too. They want to cater to the largest crowd -- the stay-at-home mom category that is watching their late afternoon shows like Sandra Lee and Rachel and is more interested in how to get food done quickly than in learning advanced or complicated techniques.

You know what would be fascinating, for me, even just for a special? A show on molecular gastronomy. It seems to me that its demonstration would translate very well to television. But FN isn't going in that direction. Glad they have ICA and Alton.

eGulletiers - It can be a tough crowd here, but I'm hoping for your support. I entered the contest for the next round of NFNS. I could really use some encouragement and positive comments on the MySpace page where I posted the video.

Mark's MySpace NFNS page

I'm certainly not in Alton's league by any stretch, but I would be committed to elevating things beyond a pretty face (especially since I don't have one) that can read a teleprompter.

In terms this NFNS competition, I'm a little confused on how the winner gets picked. They had a few days of online voting, but the previews for next week look like an all out challenge will be done. Does anybody know how this will work? Is it 50/50 home votes plus the judges????

-mark-

Julia Child

eGulletiers - It can be a tough crowd here, but I'm hoping for your support.  I entered the contest for the next round of NFNS.  I could really use some encouragement and positive comments on the MySpace page where I posted the video. 

Mark's MySpace NFNS page

I'm certainly not in Alton's league by any stretch, but I would be committed to elevating things beyond a pretty face (especially since I don't have one) that can read a teleprompter.

In terms this NFNS competition, I'm a little confused on how the winner gets picked.  They had a few days of online voting, but the previews for next week look like an all out challenge will be done.  Does anybody know how this will work?  Is it 50/50 home votes plus the judges????

-mark-

Old people like me might have a hard time finding the video! I finally did but it's not obvious to a non myspace person.

I think the problem is you're too good and I don't know where they would fit you in!

During my brief brush with tv, I was told not to look in to the camera when being interviewed but to look into it when doing a demo and work on creating some kind intimacy with the viewer, whatever that means. The kitchen shot it beautiful but I think a close up would create more intimacy.

But again, I think the problem is you are too good.

Twitter @RanchoGordo

In terms this NFNS competition, I'm a little confused on how the winner gets picked.  They had a few days of online voting, but the previews for next week look like an all out challenge will be done.  Does anybody know how this will work?  Is it 50/50 home votes plus the judges????

I gave you a straight up Booyah! I'm hard pressed to imagine anyone turning in a demo tape that's much better than that if at all.

And I have no clue how the voting works. If there's a place for viewers to vote on the Food Network web site (once the demo's have aired) then please let us know. And good luck!

I don't understand why FN has such a problem with Amy's use of French terminology since she generally explains what it means. Why do they think this is a turn-off for their viewers? If you were trying to convince someone to come to your house for a dinner party, what would sound more enticing: Stewed Chicken or Coq au Vin? Do FN viewers merely want to watch people cook or to learn something? Emeril frequently uses French culinary terms (more often on Essence than on Live) just as Mario Batali doesn't hesitate to speak Italian on his show. If Amy comes off as snobby, that has more to with how she presents herself ("that's a fancy, fancy word for...) than just because she throws in a little French here and there. Most foodies know French cooking techniques are not reserved for French restaurants and can be used in any cooking application even if you're only cooking for 30 minutes.

Actually, she would've been better off explaining why she was making baked eggs (an easy French dish that you shouldn't be scared of) than brushing it off as "something fancy-shmancy that you don't need to know or care about.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I think she only did that because of the initial warning she'd received from the judges about overemphasizing her French background. One of the things that makes Amy good is that she took instruction well. She's new to TV, but I can see her as someone who could become more polished over time. For those who are going for Rory, think about how she did on the Iron Chef challenge--she turned a little crazy on camera under the pressure.

I think these contestants are under a huge amount of pressure and - needless to say - the cameras are there to capture every slip and emotional teeter. From what I've heard from other reality participants, the story we see is not altogether the same 'feel' they have actually living it, because 24/7 taping is cut down to a small percentage. For entertainment value, they obviously grab onto the 'juiciest' stuff.

At the end of the day, if you go through all this and get a TV show, it's still a far easier route than most people who have TV shows have endured.

Can't wait until Sunday. Even though I don't love either one, it looks like there will be a cool challenge to cap things off.

-Mark-

Julia Child