• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Food Network.."Star"?

Old Timer

Paul went home last night. The Iron Chef challenge just blew him out of the water, particularly the part where he had to do some 'color commentary' the way the guy on the floor does in the 'real' Iron Chef show.

Amy - who melted down last week and said she wanted to go home - was the only big winner from this week's show. Her food was well received and she did a great job in the commentary.

Jag is still there, though he completed melted down (they hated his food) and he was crying in the apartment and being comforted by Paul (prior to the vote-off).

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Buh-bye, Paul, you manic cupcake. Since I'm not planning on watching the 'show' that comes out of this 'contest' I can only enjoy the self-serving train wreck on its own merits (See: Alton Brown's suggestion last week of sending all the contestants home and starting over.)

Great amusement can be had, however, from the insistence by Tush and Suzie that the food taste great and not be boring - and that our crazy cooks know A LOT about food. Because somewhere between no more Sara or Molto Mario but plenty of Sandra Lee and Unwrapped (have I missed the inside story of a Snicker's bar?), FN has got to be kidding.

Wow, Mark and I must have ESP. I've been thinking about entering the season 4 competition of Next Food Network Star myself and was getting ready to get everyone's thoughts.

I'm struggling with my desire to get into the competition with my issue about the 'commercial' aspects of the show. I'm a serious foodie and cook and I see myself as a serious teacher, not a tv personality. My style is more suited to PBS or Discovery Channel than Food Network. I certainly don't see myself as having the 'tv look' or that shtick type of personality that some 'tv hosts' have, er-selling cars or talking about the best ice cream in America.

So on the one hand I don't want to 'dumb down' by personal thoughts about cooking shows on television by entering into a competition on Food Network. On the other hand I could look at it in terms of being a person who could bring a dose of seriousness about cooking back to Food Network.

I totally understand the commercial reasons for why they have certain programs, but shouldn't they also balance that out with more serious programs that teach people how to cook and appreciate food ala Rick Stein's show about cooking in Great Britain on BBC America?

I've done a 'reality' type of cooking competition on PBS called 'MasterChef USA' where I placed in the top three. I've gone on to do lots of food writing and about 30 cooking segments on local television. Don't know if I'd have to do a demo tape for Food Network or if one of my other tapes would suffice as an entry.

I'd prefer to go direct to Food Network to pitch a show idea, but they don't accept ideas off the street-they only accept a 'pitch' for a show from a production company. I figure this might be my best chance to get a show. Or at least see if I can even get a foot in the door and show them I might be a talent of interest.

I haven't checked out the website to look at the call for entries and the deadlines and commitments involved. I'll think about it.

My idea may not sustain a full show over the long term. Maybe it wouldn't even appeal to the Food Network's mass audience. My concept would be something along the lines of The Pacific Northwest Kitchen with David Ross.

Your comments are welcome.

I'd prefer to go direct to Food Network to pitch a show idea, but they don't accept ideas off the street-they only accept a 'pitch' for a show from a production company.  I figure this might be my best chance to get a show.  Or at least see if I can even get a foot in the door and show them I might be a talent of interest.

Your comments are welcome.

High Noon Entertainment does a few productions for the Food Network - I think they produced that Sugar Rush or something like that show - the guy from DC who is now a baker. They do the challenge shows, too. Maybe if you approach them with an idea, they can help you market it to the food network? All I know of High Noon is that they are near Denver - I have relatives there and was going to cheer on a friend who'd been invited to participate in a Challenge show, but it didn't work out (she didn't go and neither did I!)

ETA: why not approach your local cable TV company - or PBS station? Regardless of what you think of Rachael Ray, she started with a mini segment on the local news show and it took off from there....

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

Great recommendations. Thank you. Mark also suggested that given my background, I should approach High Noon or one of the other production companies with my idea.

My local PBS station has been very good to me, unfortunately, like PBS national, they don't have much of a budget to produce a local cooking show.

I have a good relationship with my local ABC affiliate, KXLY-TV Spokane and they should have some ideas of production companies.

It's been a long journey since MasterChef on PBS and trying to crack into the world of cooking on TV. The local people in Seattle and Spokane have seen my work and have directed me to contact national production companies. I do, and usually don't get much response. If I have gotten a response it's been the 'Dear John' type of letter. That old adage is really true-for every one opportunity that comes your way, you get about 50 rejection letters.

I'll look into the avenues you and Mark suggested. Thanks for the tips and I'll start a new thread chronicling my journey. Thanks again.

Alright. I just finished watching the latest episode, where Paul gets the boot. Thank you DVR.

Is it just me? Am I too sensitive? I'm just so sick of FNTV stressing that their 'stars' MUST more or less, dumb everything down to make it accesible for the home cook...

I don't own my own restaurant, nor am I on the line somewhere every night...I am a home cook. I want to yell at my TV everytime the judges make some comment about keeping things simple for home cooks. If FNTV actually taught people how to cook, we wouldn't need Rachel Ray and Ina Garten throwing dozens of mediocre, uninspired cookbooks together. If they instilled principles, home cooks would be able to go to the market and buy stuff thats fresh and improvise a meal around that. Instead, they instill the idea of following the recipes to the very minutest detail. (Oh no, the market is out of ________, what should I do??? Now it's not going to be just as Rachel meant it to be!!!)

Maybe I should just get over it. Maybe I epect too much.

That's a cooking show I'd like to see--cooking with what you have on hand, more of learning to think creatively than running out to the store to buy a lot of ingredients. Or better yet--what about gourmet cooking for the millions of us who live in parts of the country where you can't even get some of those ingredients? I'm a displaced Washingtonian in Montana; someone make a tv show for us!

As far as the show, I hadn't seen previous years, but I kind of like Amy. Maybe because she's a homemaker and seems to have her act together. Sure, she broke down, but it seems like that's what they're trying to do to the contestants--makes for better tv, I guess. She seems personable, which is important.

Its easy to see who FN's target market is when we must endure yet another mindless commercial hawking RR's Furi knives (for a hundred bucks!) so we can "cook like her".

They strive to reach the novice female cook who has just enough skills to boil water and just enough money and gullibility to buy their chef's DVD's and knife sets.

If Tushman and Fogelson don't get fired after this disaster, then the FN has lost all their credibility in my book.

On another note..FN is currently working with the military regarding JAG's alleged service record.

When the first NFNS program started I was genuinely interested.

The next season (Guy vs. Reggie) was a letdown.

And this season?

Fuggedaboudit!

I'd love to see half of the FN chefs on Hell's Kitchen.

I bet Ramsay would tear 'em a new a-sho-e in pretty short order.

Edited by Old Timer (log)

Well, eGulletiers, you can only blame yourself for me commiting the most outside-the-box move of my life!

With encouragement from several of you in this thread and through PMs, I had a few glasses of wine and then pushed "send" on my application to the next round of The Next Food Network Star.

It would be awesome if you have a chance to view the demo video and gently add some comments to the myspace page (for those of you with MySpace profiles). [if you hate it, perhaps you could keep your comments to yourself or PM me. It's a little too early in my broadcast career to see lots of bashing commentary online.]

Here's the link (once you arrive, you click on the video to the lower right to play it): Mark's MySpace NFNS page

Thanks again for the encouragement and if it goes anywhere, rest-assured, you'll read all about it here!

-Mark-

Julia Child

Mark, I wish you all the best of luck. I would love to watch a show like that on Food Network!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Well, eGulletiers, you can only blame yourself for me commiting the most outside-the-box move of my life!

With encouragement from several of you in this thread and through PMs, I had a few glasses of wine and then pushed "send" on my application to the next round of The Next Food Network Star.

It would be awesome if you have a chance to view the demo video and gently add some comments to the myspace page (for those of you with MySpace profiles).  [if you hate it, perhaps you could keep your comments to yourself or PM me.  It's a little too early in my broadcast career to see lots of bashing commentary online.]

-Mark-

Mark, I just finished watching your demo. After going back to look at some of the demos that this year's contestants submitted, I think you're well on the way.

You seem extremely comfortable in front of the camera, and you seemed genuine with your dialogue (unlike Colombe's video--check that one out for some cringe).

I dig it and I'd watch it. Stay genuine. Good luck.

Cheers.

And now there are three.

JAG, Rory, and Amy.

JAG is definitely out since they hired that Latina chick.

If I recall, the show left off with some shocking element in this coming week's show.

My guess is JAG will be exposed re: his military career and do the honorable thing and withdraw.

That will leave Rory and Amy vying for America's vote.

Rory is seeming to appear in more of the promo's than Amy, so my money is still on Rory and the twins.

And now there are three.

JAG, Rory, and Amy.

If I recall, the show left off with some shocking element in this coming week's show.

My guess is JAG will be exposed re: his military career and do the honorable thing and withdraw.

Rory is seeming to appear in more of the promo's than Amy, so my money is still on Rory and the twins.

Without quoting, those who have not read Anothiny Bourdain's latest review of TNFNS on Ruhlman's blog should do so [he likes it] ... and, if it is to be believed, someone calling herself Rory says to watch on Sunday as there is something really shocking coming up. So shocking she said she herself was surprised. I'm guessing either a major on-screen meltdown by Amy or Jag ... maybe even involving his military service. Maybe they swap Paul back in although that would be a bit much.

Bourdain is cheering for Amy.

:shock:

I hope you're wrong and it doesn't boil down to mainly be about looks, especially since some of the most successful hosts aren't exactly cover-boy material (Alton and Emeril).

Thanks to lots of folks who checked out my NFNS entry video for next year. Your encouraging words mean a lot. We'll see what happens. Mark's MySpace NFNS Entry Page

Mark

Julia Child

And now there are three.

JAG, Rory, and Amy.

These were taped a while ago, so I doubt the military career embellishing will be a factor. However, once I saw that they had finally filled that Latino slot with Simply Delicioso, I too thought he had no chance.

Then I watched it this morning -- she basically made a Mexican casserole as her main dish while I tried to listen over music that was too loud and intrusive.

And now there are three.

JAG, Rory, and Amy.

So Jag lied - did that scene between him and the execs seem a little fake to anyone? And the question remains - why did he feel compelled to lie? OK, so the culinary school thing I can understand but the Afghanistan service???

I'm just really upset because Amy is by far the best.

She knows her stuff, she's warm, she's normal, and she's getting played with by the Reality TV world. Back and forth.

And, you know she won't win.

BIG TEETH Rory, who doesn't have a clue how to cook, and has proved that time and again, will win because the Texas/American mentality will identify more with her (whether she can cook or not), rather than a Gourmet/French woman.

What a shame.

Reality TV.

Crazy.

Philly Francophiles

Scene did not feel genuine to me either. It's possible he knew he'd be thrown out so he resigned to make a much nicer parting picture for himself.

Julia Child

I can't decide who to vote for since they are both so awful. Rory scares me with her gummy smile. Amy comes across as fake. Amy's smile seems manic sometimes and she is not someone I would want to watch.

Of the 3 of them, I really liked Jag and I'm sorry for the way things turned out.

Overall, this is my first season watching this show and I'm not sure I will even watch the finale. These 2 contestants are just so painfully horrible.

Everyone has a different POV.

I hated snobby Amy and her greasy hair! She was a wreck emotionally and before the cameras. I don't know why JAG made it this far considering his poor temper.

I'll be voting for Rory but it's doubtful I will be watching the winner whoever she is.